Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Default Re: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Are the icons you want to use included inside your .pack file and the names of the icon files themselves match the name of the uniform variant you're using? (i.e. the second name in your uniforms file)

For example, for my Miko Shashu to have the icon I wanted them to have:

In the Uniforms file the first name is "Seyal_Miko_Shashu" that's the name of the uniform. Second column is blank. The second name (third column) is Seyal_Special_Inf_Warrior_Nuns. This is the name of the uniform variant file the game is going to look for.

You have to have both a uniform variant file under VariantModels/Units/ (in my case: Seyal_Special_Inf_Warrior_Nuns.soldiers.variant) and a .tga under UI/Units/Icons, UI/Units/Icons_square, UI/Units/Recruitment_Large, UI/Units/Recruitment_Small with the same name (Seyal_Special_Inf_Warrior_Nuns.tga)

Likewise when I put my version of Onna Bushi in, the card had a shadow. I had to include the icon under those paths (samurai_inf_onna_bushi.tga) explicitly in my .pack file.
    Last edited by Seyal; September 15, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

I intend to use the icon of the base unit I cloned the Otomo units from, namely, Matchlock Kobaya, Galleon Caravel (that is, Nanban Trade Ship), Cannon Bune.

There didn't appear to be *any* lines in the uniform table for *any* naval unit so I didn't add them. I suppose I should have added some? Or maybe it's because I was only looking in patch8.pack.

A better question might be: what defines the unit cards for naval units? Because I followed all the steps in the OP, and the unit cards aren't defined for the naval units, so I obviously missed a table somewhere specific to naval unit cards.
    Last edited by Charsi; September 15, 2011 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charsi View Post
    I intend to use the icon of the base unit I cloned the Otomo units from, namely, Matchlock Kobaya, Galleon Caravel (that is, Nanban Trade Ship), Cannon Bune.

There didn't appear to be *any* lines in the uniform table for *any* naval unit so I didn't add them. I suppose I should have added some? Or maybe it's because I was only looking in patch8.pack.

A better question might be: what defines the unit cards for naval units? Because I followed all the steps in the OP, and the unit cards aren't defined for the naval units, so I obviously missed a table somewhere specific to naval unit cards.

I think I found it.

Try extracting naval_uniforms under naval_uniforms_table in data.pack and including it into your mod and then making your changes.

PFM doesn't support naval_uniforms nor does shogun 2 converter..

it's not Navel_uniforms, it's a navel uniform but I can't remember it's full name, if you can't open it, you should get the updated DB files. I have made custom ships, and if you don't modify the uniform file the game will crash when you attempt a naval battle.

Could you link the updated db files.. i've tried unit_stats_naval, I dont think it's there..

Edit: found it here so far so good... it does seem like naval_uniforms needed additional rows for the cloned units I added. Testing now..

FIXED! Thank you!!! +rep to all assists

To people adding/modifying naval units, you must also (in addition to the op) touch the following two tables:

- unit_stats_naval (the naval version of unit_stats_land)
    - naval_uniforms (the naval version of uniforms)
    Last edited by Charsi; September 16, 2011 at 01:04 PM.

LOL, beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyal View Post
    Now to decide what other females I want to try putting in - not that there's a lot of female icons.

Guess I could look for some .tga images that would make good unit card icons?
    Yup, I just slapped the Onna Bushi head or body onto any other unit; see attached two examples. Just don't forget to make an alpha channel for the .tga images.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcasteak View Post
    Yup, I just slapped the Onna Bushi head or body onto any other unit; see attached two examples. Just don't forget to make an alpha channel for the .tga images.

Oh nice.

Gonna have to do that.

Does anybody knows how to change a unit weapon? Because I want to make a Naguinata Cavalry with the Model of the Yari-Cavalry, but with a Naginata as weapon...

Quote Originally Posted by Carthago View Post
    Does anybody knows how to change a unit weapon? Because I want to make a Naginata Cavalry with the Model of the Yari-Cavalry, but with a Naginata as weapon...
    That can be easily done--just change the "Warscape Equipment Theme IDRef" in the unit_stats_land table. I recall the Naginata Warrior Monk Cavalry used the same animation as other yari or spear cavalry, so you won't even have to change the combat animation.

For some reason I can't open the Units Stats Land Tables for Patch8 or Patch9, any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Everything else opens fine, but when I try to open that table on either of those I get the unrecognized extension (or was it file type?) error message and it suggests that maybe it was changed in a recent update. They have to be openable though because Darth Vader opened them for Darth Mod and he edited the Sengoku Jidai Unit stats.

ShimazuClan's Avatar Civis

Thanks a lot this really helped although it took some time for me to figure it out. Do you know how to fix the portraits? Mine shows a white card and thats all, I can click and use it still.

Akaie's Avatar Sangi Ukon'e no Chūjō

Quote Originally Posted by ShimazuClan View Post
    Thanks a lot this really helped although it took some time for me to figure it out. Do you know how to fix the portraits? Mine shows a white card and thats all, I can click and use it still.
    The unit cards need to have the same name as a unit variant file, minus the "soldier"/"officer"/"unit_variant" bits, to be associated with it.

Example time!

The unit card file name for the Yari Ashigaru unit is "ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.tga". There are usually multiple unit variant files for a single unit spanning officers, soldiers and standard bearers. The important unit variant file is that of the soldier ("ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.soldier.unit_variant"). If you use that unit variant, then you will need to make sure "ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.tga" is in your pack file.

An additional note: the file path for the unit cards is "Filenamehere.pack > ui > units". From there, you have five different types of icons that you'll want to create. I suggest creating the unit card for the "info" folder and editing it to make the other four cards, as they have a lower resolution than that "info" unit card. This is obviously for the sake of polishing. Oh, and you don't need to use "Filenamehere.pack". Use whatever file name you want.

Hopefully that conveys enough information that you can apply it to custom units.
    Last edited by Akaie; October 07, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

The S2 Onin War Mod | Boshin: Total Domains
    Patron of Erwin Rommel
    Under the proud patronage of Radious

ShimazuClan's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Anton93 View Post
    The unit cards need to have the same name as a unit variant file, minus the "soldier"/"officer"/"unit_variant" bits, to be associated with it.

Example time!

The unit card file name for the Yari Ashigaru unit is "ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.tga". There are usually multiple unit variant files for a single unit spanning officers, soldiers and standard bearers. The important unit variant file is that of the soldier ("ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.soldier.unit_variant"). If you use that unit variant, then you will need to make sure "ashigaru_inf_yari_ashigaru.tga" is in your pack file.

An additional note: the file path for the unit cards is "Filenamehere.pack > ui > units". From there, you have five different types of icons that you'll want to create. I suggest creating the unit card for the "info" folder and editing it to make the other four cards, as they have a lower resolution than that "info" unit card. This is obviously for the sake of polishing. Oh, and you don't need to use "Filenamehere.pack". Use whatever file name you want.

Hopefully that conveys enough information that you can apply it to custom units.
    So, how do I add the portrait to put into the unit card?
    Last edited by ShimazuClan; October 08, 2011 at 01:49 AM.

Hi,

I'm planning to port over the RoTS units to the Sengoku Jidai campaign. I know another modder said he'll do this, but I can't wait anymore. I want to learn how to do it myself. Is it as simple as copying over rows from the RoTS pack file into the regular unit file or is it much more complicated?

Thanks.

Hello, first post here . I have ran into a problem when creating a new """Hero""" unit (just for over-powered fun) after first try i couldnt even see the unit in either custom battle or campaign, then i resolved that by changing it to mod type pack and adding user.script file... but now i seem to crash to desktop every time i add the unit to custom battle army selection screen i re-checked the pack a couple of times, changed a few things, but it still crushes, so i was wondering if one of the more experienced modders can check out my pack (its realy small, infact i think too small- one unit and i made it all clear to view and change) it would be realy great if you guys can help me out Great Thanks in Advance.

Edit: ok silly me i re-re-rechecked the tables and found that one ability out of three was missing and the hero unit was using it so it crashed.. fixed it and now all works perfect, great tutorial.

New delema: not realy important, but you know how the Katanas hero general/captan looks like? all the golden armour and the helmet... i was wondering if theres a way to make the other 2 of the soldiers have the same golden armour (so they look equal) or have the captain have normal armour? is there a way to do it with out complexety?? just using the PFM skill said in this tutorial? Again thanks for the great tutorial
    Last edited by Lucky707; October 18, 2011 at 06:13 PM.

Lucky707, you can modify the color tint of most armor in the game by adding whatever the Uniform ID is to the table uniform_to_faction_colors, it's RGB format and their are 3 sets of colors. Each uniform texture seems to varry in terms of what set colors what part of the unit but play around with it and should be able to get desired results

Question: Has anyone figured out how to create an actual "Hero" unit, that the game recognizes as a hero (i.e. In campaign Family stats screen)

Gueme's Avatar Laetus

hey, I wanna make a unit using Tokugawa Ieyasu's model, with a Naginata, and use it as a hero unit. well... I'm in need of help...

How do I make it start in the campaing map? And it isn't working on custom battles either
    Last edited by Gueme; November 05, 2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: ops