Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Default Re: How to create a custom unit in Pack File Manager

Using this awesome tutorial, I got the Onna Bushi to be recruitable.

Everything looked fine, worked fine, no crashes or glitches...even the AI was recruiting some...

...until I fought a siege defense. After the battle, ALL the Onna Bushi disappeared! This happens only after I play out a defense of a castle. Autocalc or field battles and they stick around.

Fickle women!

What's happening to cause this? Any ideas?

Hi guys I've been using this tutorial and I must say it is really really good, hats off to Ele, and I got everything to work, except that my custom matchlock samurai are showing "0" for their range stat. Anyone know of how to fix this problem?

To Seyal

Although you can recruit Onna Bushi and Samurai Retainers, they are still considered garrison units in siege battle, and the game gets rid of them after siege.
    I don't know of any way to keep them, safe from keeping them out of siege battles.
    I reign with my left hand, I rule with my right
    I'm lord of all darkness, I'm queen of the night
    I've got the power
    Now do the march of the Black Queen

how do i set it to recruitable in custom battles?

Quote Originally Posted by Poulp View Post
    To Seyal

Although you can recruit Onna Bushi and Samurai Retainers, they are still considered garrison units in siege battle, and the game gets rid of them after siege.
    I don't know of any way to keep them, safe from keeping them out of siege battles.

Dang.

I might have to clone those Warrior Nuns then and name them something else and try to pallete swap the icon or something.

Or play around with those unknown fields in PFM and see if something doesn't stick. Meanwhile, guess I'll be auto-resolving sieges until then.

Anyone been able to create a custom ship?

Is it possible to make custom unit with explosive melee strike? Like in the movies, he hits the ground and BOOM, earth shakes!

I guess I need to create custom equipment and stuff, but I don't know where to start. And I must know it is possible, before I start, anyway.
    Last edited by Sinthetic; August 19, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Is it possible to change a weapon on a unit?

For example, if I wanted to make an archer version of the Warrior Nuns (say I call them Bow Miko), could I take the existing Warrior Nuns and give them bows instead of naginata?

Or maybe take the Bow Warrior Monks and give them the Warrior Nun model?

Quote Originally Posted by Seyal View Post
    Is it possible to change a weapon on a unit?

For example, if I wanted to make an archer version of the Warrior Nuns (say I call them Bow Miko), could I take the existing Warrior Nuns and give them bows instead of naginata?

Or maybe take the Bow Warrior Monks and give them the Warrior Nun model?
    Yes it is. You have to edit Unit_stats_land specifically warscape id and projectile id. You also should modify related stats such as ammo, range etc etc or they won't do anything with their new bow but look coy in front of the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
    Is it possible to make custom unit with explosive melee strike? Like in the movies, he hits the ground and BOOM, earth shakes!

I guess I need to create custom equipment and stuff, but I don't know where to start. And I must know it is possible, before I start, anyway.
    hmmm, that I'm not sure of. I know you can alter range weapons to do some pretty crazy things, but a melee weapon...I think the splash damage of said effect might be discouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Hi I'm just created a custom archer, though the accuracy/reload/ammunition stats in the info tab isn't showing. Right now it only shows the melee attack/def stats like a melee unit, not a range unit.

It can shoot and everything but it looks very weird on the campaign map.

Help?
    Anybody knows how to fix it, i have the same issue for a bowmen general unit.?

thank you for this tutorial. I have been modding units since I found this. But is there an in depth explanation to the variables for example ---->melee defense, attack, armor. I mean how does these things actually work with one another.

tag for later... good tutorial, thanks

Okay, so I have Samurai Retainers shooting arrows but when you mouse over them the tooltip doesn't display any of their ranged statistics. Is there a fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by MDegage View Post
    Yes it is. You have to edit Unit_stats_land specifically warscape id and projectile id. You also should modify related stats such as ammo, range etc etc or they won't do anything with their new bow but look coy in front of the enemy.

I'm getting the game to load up and the stats and bows are there...but instead of cute Miko, I'm getting samurai archers.

And, somehow, my onna bushi are also males now.

I don't get it. The model names are "shogun_samaurai_test" whatever the heck that means.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyal View Post
    I'm getting the game to load up and the stats and bows are there...but instead of cute Miko, I'm getting samurai archers.

And, somehow, my onna bushi are also males now.

I don't get it. The model names are "shogun_samaurai_test" whatever the heck that means.
    Hehe, you are only supposed to change the unit animation to bow samurai, not the unit model as well!

I've attached my current functional work-in-progress, so compare your codes with mine or feel free to work with mine. Be sure to clear your army_setups and battle_preferences first, since we named our girls differently. This current work-in-progress contains a duplicate recruitable Onna Bushi unit (so no garrison disappearance problem) and a new archer version of Onna Bushi who's basically a Bow Warrior Monk clone. I didn't get around to balancing them yet, so at the moment they're fairly OP. Oh, and I removed the unit limit on Warrior Nuns as well.

Edit: attachment removed.
    Last edited by sarcasteak; September 12, 2011 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarcasteak View Post
    Hehe, you are only supposed to change the unit animation to bow samurai, not the unit model as well!

I've attached my current functional work-in-progress, so compare your codes with mine or feel free to work with mine. Be sure to clear your army_setups and battle_preferences first, since we named our girls differently. This current work-in-progress contains a duplicate recruitable Onna Bushi unit (so no garrison disappearance problem) and a new archer version of Onna Bushi who's basically a Bow Warrior Monk clone. I didn't get around to balancing them yet, so at the moment they're fairly OP. Oh, and I removed the unit limit on Warrior Nuns as well.

Actually, I didn't touch any of that! That's why I'm baffled as to why it's acting weird. Like for my attempt at the Miko, I just cloned Warrior Nuns, changed weapon from naginata to yumi, animation to bow animation, and changed stats. It's literally just the model acting up. Even the voices are female.

That's just the way it was brought into PFM. If anything, I would have put it to the warrior nuns and onna bushi models

I'm working with yours right now. Yeah, I found out about the battle_preferences the hard way... Luckily, I found where that directory was with a forum search. It's now shortcut to my desktop for easy access.

I wouldn't be surprised of mine are overpowered as well.
    Last edited by Seyal; September 12, 2011 at 03:47 AM.

Grrrrr.....

Okay, so now I got the Miko Shashu working. They are in the game, with the bows and fight as expected in combat.

But...the icon is not the one I made. It's using the default warrior nuns icon, even though my icon is in the pack file AND specified.

So I read where I have to make a variant for it. Okay, so I do. The icon is in...but now the texture's are screwed up on the unit. The clan flags are also washed out.

*sigh*

Finally.

Figured out the naming convention on the files. Seems like what I was using was mixing up the whole thing.

Now to decide what other females I want to try putting in - not that there's a lot of female icons.

Guess I could look for some .tga images that would make good unit card icons?

Followed the tutorial.. created seven units.. none of them appear.

It might be because they're all tagged as Otomo which isn't normally a playable clan.

Edit: or it might be cause I didnt make a units.loc. Will see shortly...

YES! Wheeee. Okay, thanks for um.. well written instructions! But some of the unit cards are missing Halp? They show as shadowed heads. Specifically:

Otomo Cannons - unit card works
    Otomo Imported Matchlock Ashigaru - unit card works
    Otomo Matchlock Ashigaru - unit card works
    Otomo Nanban Trade Ship - card is shadow
    Otomo Matchlock Kobaya - card is shadow

I can't see the Otomo Cannon Bune but i'm going to guess it's wrong, and that Otomo Matchlock Samurai is right. So why are the ship unit cards busted, but the land ones fine?
    Last edited by Charsi; September 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM.