Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Math question:30 people are at a party... Am I right?

Default Re: Math question:30 people are at a party... Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    2) Well, maybe you should diversify more? Using that formula on this problem would be VERY time consuming.
    Ever try to explain something from the standpoint of a context you're not familiar with? It's not pretty. Especially when trying to figure out a proper probability equation. Those things are easy to screw up.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

probability is easy to screw up, I can agree with that

probability is easy to screw up, I can agree with that
    As an aside i figured out why I said 22 instead of 23. With my stance of taking the probability that they don't match it takes 22 to hit the probability just before 50%. Which means you need one more to break 50 on them matching. Funny error-that-isn't-an-error.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

P(none of the 22 people's birthdays match)= 0.493 according to you, while that is not correct, it is too low. The correct answer would be P(none of the 23 people's birthdays match=0.493

Either that or I don't understand you.

P(none of the 22 people's birthdays match)= 0.493 according to you, while that is not correct, it is too low. The correct answer would be P(none of the 23 people's birthdays match=0.493

Either that or I don't understand you.
    My problem is for 22 extra people. The problem of a single person is trivial. A quirk in the wording, nothing more.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yes, that was what I said all along. I never claimed your model to be wrong
    Gaidin; when n=22 there are actually 23 people who have been selected. An example: 2 persons would be (365/365)(364/365)=1*(364/365)=364/365=P(2 randoms not having their birthdays on the same day). So, even if n=1 in this case, 2 people have been questioned. Just like when n=365, the probability is 0 because 366 people have been questioned.

Fight!'s Avatar Question Everything.

I started performing a Chi-Sq test out of disbelief (I had figured it would be much lower and could not remember the formula for the problem) but after I saw how many people I knew had the same birthday, I figured it wasn't necessary
    Roll over the names for quotes

Aristotle || Buddha || Musashi

Under the proud patronage of Saint Nicholas
    Proud patron of ★Bandiera Rossa☭

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12