Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: RAAARRRGH!!!! Manly Scandinavian music needed

Default RAAARRRGH!!!! Manly Scandinavian music needed

Yeah that's right. MANLY MUSIC!

Basically most of the Swedish music has female vocals and is quite light and folky. While this is definitely good and historically accurate, I think there isn't enough war-like masculine music for Sweden. Norway and Denmark are better though in this regard.

Also there is a similar problem for all scandinavian battle music. The current tracks used for the scandinavian mobilisation (when the troops are moving) and battle music (when they start hacking each other to pieces) isn't hard and brutal enough sounding for me.

The hard thing though is to find music that is either known to be historically accurate or at least could have feasibly been made at the time. For the battle music we have made concessions on historical accuracy as we have allowed the subtle use of some modern effects such as light echo effects to be used.

So please help us out here and give us suggestions for all scandinavian battle music and Swedish campaign music. I'm expecting Wardruna to be posted, feel free, we haven't made a final decision as to whether or not we could use them or not for battle music. I personally would rather not unless we can't find anything a little less modern sounding.

I was probably going to use (personally) remixed versions of these for the mobilisation and battle music for the eastern european factions such as Poland and was thinking of using them for the scandinavian factions too if I can't find anything better.

What do you think? Especially if you are scandinavian I'd like your opinion.
    Last edited by Space_Ed; April 11, 2011 at 09:54 PM.

Meneth's Avatar I mod, therefore I am

Default Re: RAAARRRGH!!!! Manly Scandinavian music needed

How about some Norwegian black metal or Swedish death metal?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Meneth View Post
    How about some Norwegian black metal or Swedish death metal?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well that probably would be really cool and might work well but it of course goes against our music policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Ed View Post
    Well that probably would be really cool and might work well but it of course goes against our music policy.
    Thank god it does.... I don't think I could stand playing a Medieval game to metal...

Wardruna is a bit too modern for me, but they are certainly better than metal in terms of not breaking the atmosphere

I'll admit I'm not sure what I would suggest, but I will try and look around.

EDIT: ehh, this isn't really that manly, and it could use some more drums, but at least it's fairly fast:

This one is fast too:

Another one which might good if you skip in to the 1 minute mark:

Around the 1:30 mark this one gets way too modern, but before then it could be decent (especially 0:45-1:20); Also, from 2:55 on is somewhat modern but it might be OK:

Some other Hedningarna songs might be good too, it depends how modern you want to allow:

From about 2:15 on:

The second half of this song could be an interesting choice, too, I believe they are emulating the traditional Sami style of singing: Looks like the embed isn't working, search for Hedningarna, Bierdna on youtube.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; April 12, 2011 at 04:25 PM.

Thanks, I am particularly tempted to make battle music with Täss'on Nainen and mobilisation music with Min Skog

Thanks, I am particularly tempted to make battle music with Täss'on Nainen and mobilisation music with Min Skog
    I know, they are such great songs for this sort of thing. I know you guys normally don't allow modern compositions, but some of Hedningarna's stuff is just so perfect for battle music while keeping a good atmosphere that I had to suggest it.

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Here's one for ya.
    This one has a female singer but the song itself is in Old Norse and its very beautiful.

Its hard to find good songs. I think Wardruna would most likely fit best.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiðinn Veðr: Total War

ATN's Avatar Civis

Turisas - March of the Varangian Guard.

Christianus's Avatar Miles

Hi! Im from Norway. But I think the best place to llook would be Icelandic music. Im allmost 100% sure you know already that icelandic language is very close to the language of the ancient Norse.
    But I also think they take more care of their old heritage, and that Icelandic stuff is the best thing to search for.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.
    - Σιμωνίδης ὁ Κεῖος

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Storm View Post
    Its hard to find good songs. I think Wardruna would most likely fit best.
    Wardruna does have a good dark and mystical atmosphere, but, to be honest, their songs are generally pretty slow and do not have the sense of urgency I expect during a battle. That's why, if we're going to be suggesting modern compositions, I personally think that Hedningarna's faster songs fit better as battle music than Wardruna does. Wardruna might fit better for setting the atmosphere during deployment, before battle begins, not during the urgency of battle itself.

Christianus is probably right that Iceland has done the best job of preserving the ancient culture, so far I've found some manly chanting, but I'm not sure if it's really fast enough for battle music.

EDIT: Here's an example of the Icelandic chanting I have been finding, it's manly in that it's a bunch of men chanting, but it's really not battle music:

Last edited by WinsingtonIII; April 13, 2011 at 09:25 AM.

A large proportion of Norway's campaign songs are in Icelandic.

I agree about the slow tempo of Wardruna not being ideal for battles.

I only am looking for manly swedish campaign music as we are fine for this for Norway and Denmark.

Makrell's Avatar The first of all fish

Sweden doesnt have proper music, so you wont be finding much about it

IMO USe a lot of finnish music in sweden campaign to avoid sweden becoming just another scandinavian state

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; April 13, 2011 at 10:07 AM.

I only am looking for manly swedish campaign music as we are fine for this for Norway and Denmark.
    I'll admit I forgot you still needed manly Swedish campaign music as well as battle music.

How about this:

Seriosly IMO Music with voices fit NOWHERE in a mod
    Is there noone out there with instrumental music
    Likethe one i posted

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Seriosly IMO Music with voices fit NOWHERE in a mod
    Is there noone out there with instrumental music
    Likethe one i posted
    In The Hall of the Mountain King is a composition from the late 1800's using a very traditional Western European orchestral arrangement... It does not sound anything like medieval Nordic traditional music. I do not mean this as an insult to your taste, it's just a simple fact that something with modern trumpets, french horns, trombones, etc. does not fit the atmosphere of of a medieval game. Plus, it's such a well-known tune that I sincerely doubt it passes the DOTS team music policy of being something people will not instantaneously recognize as modern.

Yes, Hedningarna is modern too, but at least they are trying to emulate traditional music.

I too would like some instrumental music, but almost all of the Swedish traditional music seems to be female vocalists. I'm going to continue to look around.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure when the fiddle became prominent in Swedish folk, so I'm not sure if this is old enough, but this is instrumental at least:

Plus, parts of the first three songs I posted in my initial post earlier in the thread could potentially be campaign music.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; April 13, 2011 at 10:51 AM.

Finnish music for sweden IMO
    To differensiate them from the Just another scandinavian faction

Quote Originally Posted by Makrell View Post
    Finnish music for sweden IMO
    To differensiate them from the Just another scandinavian faction
    I do like the idea of mixing some Finnish music in, given the historical link between the two.

Why is everyone looking for old norse songs? During the middle ages the scandinavian countries were civilized, like the rest of europe. Not vikings!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast