Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shogun Total War 2 will not start.

Icon8 Shogun Total War 2 will not start.

Alright so here is the deal. Ive been talking to Sega and Steam about this problem for almost 2 months now and I still can't play these games! I try launching the game, the screen goes to the 'Shogun Total War 2' loading screen and the cursor changes to the in game cursor. The game remains in this state for some time ( I have left it alone for nearly an hour before with no change ) until I Ctrl, Alt, Del out of the screen only to get a notification that the program has stopped working. After Fall of the Samurai downloaded onto my computer the problem continued and I REALLY want to play it already!

I decided to purchase a physical copy from my local Best Buy and install Fall of the Samurai from there. After unistalling the online version of Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai and installing the game from the disc the problem continued.

After following these instructions the game will only remain on the load screen for a few minutes before turning itself off.

"You can attempt the following troubleshooting, but Sega support has the most detailed information on troublehooting their games. If the following does not resolve the issue, you will need to continue to work with Sega support.

If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
    1) Exit Steam.
    2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
    3) Navigate to the following registry key: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE\
    4) Right click and select "Permissions"
    5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows.

First, verify the GCF for Total War: SHOGUN 2 at least once:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
    Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

NOTE: There may be files that fail to validate. This is normal and can be ignored.

If the problem remains, you may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Total War: SHOGUN 2 installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\)

You will need to run the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86-sp1.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86_90.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\clean_vcredist.bat

Then, restart your computer and test the issue again.

Perhaps someone here can provide some help.

Default Re: Shogun Total War 2 will not start.

i Have similar problem.When i start game it goes to loading screen but than return me to desktop...

I get warning-Shogun 2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Error Signature:
    AppName shogun2.exe AppVer 1.1.0.0 ModName awesomium.dll
    modVer 1.6.0 offset:00dd09ec.

Any help please?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by Daratum View Post
    Alright so here is the deal. Ive been talking to Sega and Steam about this problem for almost 2 months now and I still can't play these games! I try launching the game, the screen goes to the 'Shogun Total War 2' loading screen and the cursor changes to the in game cursor. The game remains in this state for some time ( I have left it alone for nearly an hour before with no change ) until I Ctrl, Alt, Del out of the screen only to get a notification that the program has stopped working. After Fall of the Samurai downloaded onto my computer the problem continued and I REALLY want to play it already!

I decided to purchase a physical copy from my local Best Buy and install Fall of the Samurai from there. After unistalling the online version of Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai and installing the game from the disc the problem continued.

After following these instructions the game will only remain on the load screen for a few minutes before turning itself off.

"You can attempt the following troubleshooting, but Sega support has the most detailed information on troublehooting their games. If the following does not resolve the issue, you will need to continue to work with Sega support.

If you are running in Windows Vista or Windows 7, please completely exit Steam, and right-click on the shortcut which you use to launch Steam and select "Run as Administrator."

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
    1) Exit Steam.
    2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
    3) Navigate to the following registry key: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE\
    4) Right click and select "Permissions"
    5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows.

First, verify the GCF for Total War: SHOGUN 2 at least once:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
    Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

NOTE: There may be files that fail to validate. This is normal and can be ignored.

If the problem remains, you may need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Total War: SHOGUN 2 installation folder (Usually C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\)

You will need to run the following installers:

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\DirectX\DXSETUP.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86-sp1.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\vcredist_x86_90.exe

...\steamapps\common\total war shogun 2\redist\clean_vcredist.bat

Then, restart your computer and test the issue again.

Perhaps someone here can provide some help.
    Disc or download, it turns into the same 25gb download.

Did you go through and do all the steps Sega listed? This is a good starting point and one of mine.

When you uninstalled it before, did you delete BOTH Shogun2 folders before reinstalling?

Could you play Shogun2 before installing FotS?

Are you using Chrome?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeat View Post
    i Have similar problem.When i start game it goes to loading screen but than return me to desktop...

I get warning-Shogun 2.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Error Signature:
    AppName shogun2.exe AppVer 1.1.0.0 ModName awesomium.dll
    modVer 1.6.0 offset:00dd09ec.

Any help please?
    Uninstall Google Chrome and see if this helps.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=527405

So you bought both games from steam and you are not able to get it working? I got the same issue but i only bought FoTS from steam, yet its saying i own both games. I was thinking maybe i should dl Shogun 2 and it mite fix my issue but as your saying you got both games and still have the issue. Its an know issue as i see it all over the net and in these forums. Guess ill be talking to SEGA about getting my money back

Quote Originally Posted by irishron View Post
    Disc or download, it turns into the same 25gb download.

Did you go through and do all the steps Sega listed? This is a good starting point and one of mine.

When you uninstalled it before, did you delete BOTH Shogun2 folders before reinstalling?

Could you play Shogun2 before installing FotS?

Are you using Chrome?
    I went through all the steps Sega listed and that went from the game being frozen on the loading for a few hours to only a few minutes before crashing.

When I uninstalled it I deleted the Shogun 2 folder from my Program Files.

I could play it but that was months and months ago. I tried playing it before Fall of the Samurai but it wouldn't work.

No, Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by 1in1class View Post
    So you bought both games from steam and you are not able to get it working? I got the same issue but i only bought FoTS from steam, yet its saying i own both games. I was thinking maybe i should dl Shogun 2 and it mite fix my issue but as your saying you got both games and still have the issue. Its an know issue as i see it all over the net and in these forums. Guess ill be talking to SEGA about getting my money back
    Good luck, i've been trying for months.

I went through all the steps Sega listed and that went from the game being frozen on the loading for a few hours to only a few minutes before crashing.

When I uninstalled it I deleted the Shogun 2 folder from my Program Files.

I could play it but that was months and months ago. I tried playing it before Fall of the Samurai but it wouldn't work.

No, Firefox.
    Delete the folder in users\username\appdata\roaming\the creative assembly, too. Very crucial.
    Last edited by irishron; April 08, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

Do you have a Realtek Audio Driver? Try either rolling back or updating. I had to update mine after 2 weeks of playing FOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorhaax View Post
    Do you have a Realtek Audio Driver? Try either rolling back or updating. I had to update mine after 2 weeks of playing FOTS.
    No, I have an Auzentech.

I just defragged the game and now "localization dx11.txt missing" is popping up.

,,Uninstall Google Chrome and see if this helps.,,

maybe i should mention i dont have google chrome and i bought Shogun 2 5 months ago and could play it,then i uninstalled after 1 month and now installed it again and i have this problem just now,when i installed it 2nd time,not before.

Shea O'Gorath's Avatar Primicerius

Just a shot in the dark but i had a similar iddue where it would wait and wait and wait and when I Ctrl+Alt+Del out and checked task manager it would the go to non responsive and then i tried this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=238484 and it worked excellently.

I just defragged the game and now "localization dx11.txt missing" is popping up.
    Delete the Shogun2 folder in user\username\appdat\roaming\the creative assembly because if you had one, it would be in there. Verify the game cache afterwards ao it can generate it right, hopefully.

If you get the same message, again, post a pic.

Delete the Shogun2 folder in user\username\appdat\roaming\the creative assembly because if you had one, it would be in there. Verify the game cache afterwards ao it can generate it right, hopefully.

If you get the same message, again, post a pic.
    I can not select dx11 when launching the game but it still remains on the loading screen for a minute til the cursor changes and the game crashes.

I can now select dx11 when launching the game but it still remains on the loading screen for a minute til the cursor changes and the game crashes.

Try dx9?

Try dx9?
    The results are the same when I attempt to launch the game on either dx9 or 11. Loading screen for a minute, cursor change then crash.

Anything in the awesomium.log, now?

Anything in the gfx.log.txt, now?

Have you tried it with your antivirus and firewall disabled?

Anything in the awesomium.log, now?

Anything in the gfx.log.txt, now?

Have you tried it with your antivirus and firewall disabled?
    Where can I check the awesomium.log or the gfx.log.txt?

How can I make sure all my antivirus and firewalls are disabled?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast