Thread: TATW additional music mod (preview stage)

Magefsx's Avatar Campidoctor

Default TATW additional music mod (preview stage)

Having been introduced to TWC by a hunt for a mod which added all kingdoms units to the grand campaign, it was inevitable that I would find my way here- to what is easily the mod project to rule them all. I loved the graphics, the gameplay, the fun. But not the music. Well, some of its ok, but the battle map music and some of the campaign music just does not float my boat. Infact, it sinks it... which kinda sucks. The sampled and synthesised ho-ha-ho-ha every battle, and the repetitive music (not to mention the worst choice of M2TW music used for the south eastern/eastern factions) in battles very quickly put me off (or made me play with no music, which funnily enough is one of the things I enjoy the most out of any TW game.

So I thought to myself, why not do something about it rather than sit in silence (see what I did there ). So I payed some monies, and decided to start composing some music for the game. So I present TATW additional music mod, or TAMM for short .

Here are three I made over the last three days, all of them for campaign map. The men ones are a bit iffy, granted, but will be sorted soon (I was more in a brainstorming mood at that point in time). However, I think the Dwarves campmap1 may be decent enough, so no changes will be made to that. I am entirely open to suggestions, of course.

Enjoy!

Men campmap1

Men campmap 2

Dwarves campmap1

Last edited by Magefsx; April 22, 2011 at 04:41 AM.

Default Re: TATW additional music mod (preview stage)

This post is mainly to act as a bump for:

More music that I have recently made- including a mobilise track for the battle map. You may recognise a bit of it...
    Mobilise1

- should anyone have a better recording, I'd appreciate recieving it. Youtube quality isn't fantastic, to say the least...

Also, I made another two campaign map music tracks:
    Elf Campmap1

Men campmap3

Feedback would be greatly appreciated... 'specially since I got none whatsoever from the last batch.

Also, if possible, I aim to include some of the music from Neverwinter nights, as I'm of the opinion that some of it fits quite well in this setting.
    Last edited by Magefsx; April 22, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

could you give some previews ? maybe psting a medley on youtube (or elsewhere) and providing the link ?

My internet's on a mass-lagfest, so I'll have it done for tommorow (GMT). Why I didn't do that instead... well, we'll leave that one

Done
    Last edited by Magefsx; April 22, 2011 at 04:45 AM.

they all sound a bit similar and "depressing" ..why not just make short loops (with 3-4 variations for each one of the factions? )
    variation 1_some main theme ,trying to capture each faction's "feel" maybe

elves- dreamy like,with harps and stuff (maybe hang drums or metalophone? )(like the one you tried ,but a bit more trippy and nostalgic.."lets say enya or mckennit "not depressing..)

dwarves- folk (maybe ambient like..with anvils and hammer hits ,kinna like the classic soundtrack from conan the barbarian .. or something with horns and taiko drums or marching sound in the backround)..a "militant"-pompous style but "heroic" while orcs' should be same styled but "dark-mean"

orcs and mordor - dark ambient with "heavy breaths,fire and chains sounds" some heavy-profound drum line here too..or a marching sound in the backround

men - folk (flutes ,medieval pub music..a bit more pompous for warrior factions like gondor-rohan and a bit more cheerful..with happy violins for eriador -dale) ro maybe just classical guitar arpeggios
    that's how i imagine them..i'm not experience at all with sound editing but i was trying to cut into loops some of blind guardians intro's (like the bard song ,or the lord of the rings, the quest for tanelorn,mordred's song,a past and future secret etc..why not use-edit-process some existing material too if you're familiar with sound-editing programs ?)

evil men (some kind of eastern music..maybe a "tribal" base with udu percussions and or some sitar cords or some "eastern" sounding flutes..or why not didgeridoo too)

try to give every faction it's "own" tribal-ethnic-ambient like sound some videos for sampling-ideas..

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    perfect samples for gondor..or the next one's intro (no vocals) for eriador
    maybe this one's intro for isengard-mordor (generally orcs') samples

or this one for orcs (?)

for rhun or harad (?)

something like this for dwarves

or something like these for elves

rhun-harad samples (?)

other generic sources (look for the instrumental parts,intros or if you're up to it eliminate vocals and listen to the melodies..)

just some ideas for how possible samples should maybe sound like..if you find some for every faction,edit-process them (maybe pitch and/or velocity) and implement some effects or ambient sounds maybe you could give em a really "original" sound (for each one of them)..ok the "conan" and "ask the mountains" ones are really recognizable but the others could maybe do the trick (at least to some extent)..maybe you could also use the lotr trilogy soundtrack .. (as long as you use short edited parts for sampling-looping i don't think there should be any "copyright infrigement" issue..and it's anyway for non-profit use,so why not ? )
    Last edited by Noobio; April 22, 2011 at 07:48 AM.

That's some impressive feedback... thanks. I think I have something to work with now.
    I work on midi instruments rather than sound editing, so I can only really work with what's in my sample library (which unfortunately does not include harps...mbmlgrmble). Obviously I could learn, but with exams looming I don't think I'll have the time or patience. Perhaps something to do over summer.

The bard song intro is very inspiring, and I shall definately work on it. But again, its' down to the sample library and what I'm willing to buy. The orc stuff... hmm, not what I had in mind; I don't think anything electric-based is going to be included in this (perhaps optional extra), mainly because it doesn't suit the game as it is now. I think heavy hitting is the way forwards for that; bass, brass, oboe's, bass drums+ metal perc.

The ambient idea is definately the strongest one- I for one prefer short stronger tracks or long ambient ones. Ambient is by far the easier of the two to write.

I'll definately be giving these a look over the next 2 weeks or so.
    Thanks and +rep
    Last edited by Magefsx; April 22, 2011 at 08:07 AM.

You know, the beginning of "Men campmap 2" made me think immediately of "Scenes from Childhood" by Robert Schumann. XD
    Tegyvuoja Lietuva!

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you..."

ealfing's Avatar Laetus

I have always been impressed and enjoyed the TW music since Shogun, but I can only lissen to an album so many times before I need another.
    I have always turned the music off and played with my own personal music. it adds a new dimension when you play to Tchovsky "Swan Lake", Beethoven's "9th" or on the rock side Metallica's S&M or Precious Death's "If You Must"
    Now I have I Tunes and that works well while playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrius View Post
    You know, the beginning of "Men campmap 2" made me think immediately of "Scenes from Childhood" by Robert Schumann. XD
    A grand co-incidence- I've never heard it before myself! And I have a way to up the volume, which I'll do once I get around to making some more tracks