Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshots

DimeBagHo's Avatar Praeses

Default Screenshots

Screenshots (You can see more and get older versions of XGM at http://www.dimebagho.tk/)

01. 02. 03.
    04. 05. 06.
    07. 08. 09.
    10. 11. 12.
    13. 14. 15.
    16. 17. 18.
    19. 20.

01. Macedonian Hypaspists hold the line against Pontic War Elephants
    02. Krypteia carry out a night raid.
    03. Pikeline (nice shot of Archer's Sky)
    04. Greek army advancing.
    05. Waiting for the enemy assault.
    06. Carthaginian Sacred Band
    07. Carthaginian Sacred Band clash with Spartan Royal Guard
    08. Fleet pickets the mouth of the Adriatic
    09. Sacred Band using shield wall.
    10. Parthian Companions/Immortals
    11-14. Some older unit shots (most of these units have "evolved")
    15-16. Seleucid Gastraphetes
    17. Hypaspists at the gates of Carthage
    18. Krypteia
    19-20. Hypaspists and Macedonian banners and symbols.

The New Ptolemaic Units

1. 2. 3.
    4. 5. 6.
    7. 8.

1. Levy Phalangites - with a round shield now. 2. Phalangites - again with a round shield now. 3. Agema Phalangites - these are a replacement for Pharoah's Guards. 4. Ethiopian Axemen - replacement for Desert Axemen. 5. Agema Axemen - new Army Barracks level unit. 6. New elite archer unit, along with the new Ptolemaic officier. 7. Basilikon guards. Royal Barracks level over-hand "hoplite" unit. 8. Basilikon Guards in action.

Some new cavalry skins.

01. 02. 03.
    04. 05. 06.

01. GCS Armoured Cavalry, 02. GCS Armoured Bodyguards, 03. Egyptian Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards, 04. Macedonian Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards, 05. Seleucid Hetairoi/Late Bodyguards, 06. Median Cavalry, 07. Median Cavalry in action.

New Thracian Units and skins.

01. 02. 03.
    04. 05. 06.
    07. 08.

01. Thracian Peltasts. 02. Thracian Peltasts with rhomphias. 03. Noble Cavalry/Early Bodyguard 04. Late Bodyguard. 05. Falxmen/Bastarnae. 06. Thracian Cavalry. 07 Thracian Cavalry in action. 08. Thracian Thorakitai.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; March 25, 2006 at 08:51 PM.

Here are a few from my XGM campaign. I have reached about 140BC and I am very much hoping the Roman Civil War will break out asap! I played somewhat slowly, turtling for 10 years stretches here and there, to allow the other powers to build up. And have they ever.

The Britons conquered all of Western Europe and into the steppes, but have been pushed back a bit by the Julii. They are now in an uneasy peace and I have allied with the Britons.

Here is the Julii clustering their forces in Dacia:

Brutii had a small foothold in Greece but I eventually pushed them out. They have, however, made no less than 4 invasion attempts on Crete.

The Scipii took Carthage pretty quick and then sat for ages and ages, but now they have rolled up Egypt with little difficulty and are beginning to push me toward Asia Minor.

I am at a loss as to how I will be able to deal with these Roman armies. Even when I use elite units they inflict terrible casualties....

Anyway, its been a great campaign. Thanks again for all your work!

That's going to be a tough fight. One of the rules I always play with is that I hit "M" after every battle (merges depleted units, which limits re-training) so attrition really hurts.

At some point if you want to beat them you will have to go "total war" on them and start razing cities. Burn them out, destroy their recruitment centers, blockade every port, and use generals with the night fighter trait to get in and take down those stacks one by one (rather than having to face three or four stacks in every battle).

BTW, I wonder what it is that makes the Brits so effective. I have already nerfed their chariots considerably, and yet they still seem to walk all over the other barb factions.
    Last edited by DimeBagHo; February 22, 2006 at 02:37 AM.

Zarax's Avatar Triple Chaosmaster

Well, with the though economics mod I'm finetuning the game is going to be much slower and challenging.
    Now port blockades really hurts your economy and the thought of facing a two front war will give you pain...
    Game is considerably slowed down and since you will have to cover a lot of ground with few troops you're going to have to rely on garrisons, which aren't really cheap either due to peasants being gone from the game...

To compensate that I've added a few bonuses here and there, so that spice roads and temples of milquart will give you improved roads for example and so on...

One thing is certain: elite stacks will be a thing of the past until you will have a very large and well developed empire, blitzing is discouraged because you cannot afford a large army, reinforcement and upgrades at the same time anymore...

And here is my main army, I've got another half stack busy in north africa plus a few other garrisoned troops defending narbo martius, massilia and sicily... I've lost and regained a few places several times, here you can see my third siege of Numantia, every time retaken by the gauls despite my efforts as I'm also fighting iberians and the julii with the same stack...
    Luckily for me the brutii died in Sicily and the scipii met their end in the sea, leaving Italy as julii playground and making things a bit easier for me.

With a bit of luck by 200BC iberia will be mine and I will finally be able to deal with the pesky romans and some hairy beyond belief barbarians.
    Last edited by Zarax; February 22, 2006 at 02:52 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Yes, a tought fight indeed. I just can't take on the Romans in a straight fight, especially in the east where my armies are mainly standard phalangites. The Legionaries just chew right through my spearmen and Hypasists. Even a full unit of heavy Greek cavalry gets routed by an onager crew!

I think that I will have to begin flanking the Romans on the strategic map rather than go toe to toe on a wide front. I just landed a stack near Alexandria, which is practically undefended. If the Scipii don't react to this threat to their cities behind the front line then I won't push it (unless I have no other choice). It would just be nice to spread their forces out a bit. I have blockaded a number of their ports for a while now, but they seem to have inexhaustible funds.

@DBH, I wonder about the Britons too, as they have taken over most of Europe in every 1.5/1.6 campaign I have played so far (2 or 3). I assumed it was the chariot autocalc bonus, but since it happened in XGM as well I am left wondering..

@Zarax, even with the current version of XGM I have been financially crippled by blockades on one or two (or four) key ports. It took me at least 50 years to get control of the naval situation, which is beginning to slip away again because I don't have the money to maintain the fleet. On the whole, I would say the economic model is fairly challenging as is. I have about 25 or 30 territories and maybe 6 or 7 stacks in the field (balanced armies with a few elites per stack) and I receive about 8-10k denari a turn, just enough to continue developing my cities and recruit a few units.

I appreciate the logic of tightening up finances to increase the challenge, but I hope that you don't go too far. The economy in EB, for example, I find simply too difficult. I would rather just restrain myself from blitzing and go at a nice pace rather than find myself unable to build anything or train any units for the first 40 turns or so. Anyway, that's just my 2p.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggie5
    @Zarax, even with the current version of XGM I have been financially crippled by blockades on one or two (or four) key ports. It took me at least 50 years to get control of the naval situation, which is beginning to slip away again because I don't have the money to maintain the fleet. On the whole, I would say the economic model is fairly challenging as is. I have about 25 or 30 territories and maybe 6 or 7 stacks in the field (balanced armies with a few elites per stack) and I receive about 8-10k denari a turn, just enough to continue developing my cities and recruit a few units.

I appreciate the logic of tightening up finances to increase the challenge, but I hope that you don't go too far. The economy in EB, for example, I find simply too difficult. I would rather just restrain myself from blitzing and go at a nice pace rather than find myself unable to build anything or train any units for the first 40 turns or so. Anyway, that's just my 2p.
    Well, I'm not going anywhere near EB levels, I'm just aiming at a balance where you can't train army after army and hope to develop your towns properly... This means that you are not going to be in the red with your starting army, just that you will have to make do with it until you expand and develop your economics to a proper level.

I'm doing this by just working on upkeeps, so that if you need a larger army you can afford it but with time it will kill your cash reserves for good and make you very careful about engaging an enemy stack as losses are harder to replace (and mercs are a short term measure).
    As partial compensation I've added a few bonuses to some temples and economical structures while cutting of the pop bonus from the market, allowing farming to be a viable alternative to raise money plus it makes easier to keep in check pop growth this way.

All in all, the effect is more a campaign slowdown than strangling the player as the balance is shifted toward defense since you can have less troops at once the proximity effect is much more important as it will mean that blitzing with an army far from your developed cities will make you reliant to wait for reinforcements or use closer but lower quality troops.

And here is a close to 200BC scenario:
    After taking nortwest africa and some more iberian lands my finances are now good enough to support quality armies, so that the highlighted stack is going to kill the iberians while the one in the screen just took massilia back from the romans after several bloody clashes which forced me to rely heavily on mercenaries also due to the plague in narbo martius, even though the recent arrival of 5 units of sacred band cavalry with a new general will hopefully turn the tide of the war in my favour again as my previous hannibal styled blitz died to a couple roman stacks in mediolanum.
    Trust me, you don't want to face principes and triarii as they will chew levy phalangites and iberian mercs in a toe to toe fight while also holding against your cav... I will never charge again triarii on shield wall with my cav, it's almost like going frontally on a phalanx!
    Last edited by Zarax; February 22, 2006 at 10:54 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Zarax, I am impressed by your success with Carthage. I tried a (non XGM) Carthage campaign with 1.5 and I was just pummeled by relentless pressure from the Romans - at times, all three factions were attacking me. Now I understand why the AI Carthage always disappears in my games...

Anyway, I am looking forward to having another go at them with XGM once I finish my Greek campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggie5
    Zarax, I am impressed by your success with Carthage. I tried a (non XGM) Carthage campaign with 1.5 and I was just pummeled by relentless pressure from the Romans - at times, all three factions were attacking me. Now I understand why the AI Carthage always disappears in my games...

Anyway, I am looking forward to having another go at them with XGM once I finish my Greek campaign.
    The trick with Carthage is holding out in sicily and iberia while you take out numidia, once north africa is yours resources will flow and you will be ready to take out the romans.

Another working tactic is to make a strong fleet and sink every roman ship en route to sicily... this way you can kill at least the scipii with a bit of luck and patience.

And here it is what would have happended is Hannibal managed to turn Rome's allied cities in Italy on its side:
    A long siege, western mediterranean in punic hands and finally loads of money flowing in its coffers.

No marian reforms for this game, while in the east the dwindling seleucid power is paving the way for a big match with egypt versus macedonia... Well, of course if one of them doesn't make the deadly mistake to backstab me, as now my armies are well able to deal with another front and win :wink:
    Last edited by Zarax; February 24, 2006 at 12:11 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

shadowarmy75: Just noticed your post. The Corinthians are not gone - just changed. They are now a hoplite style unit and called Sacred Band (still recruitable only in Corinth).

Here's a few more screens:

Nice screens DBH.

Zarax, you have me eager to play as Carthage again. It looks like the key is to strike down the Romans before the reforms. I am having just a hell of a time fighting the post-marian units in my current Greek campaign. I thought it would be a good idea to lay back on the Romans and allow them to expand so they presented a challenge. Be careful what you wish for! The Julii and Scipii are fielding endless stacks. I have sent two armies on scorched earth campaigns to roll up and sack their troop-producing cities, but I don't know if I can hold the front lines in the meantime, especially in the east.

Post marian romans are a nightmare, their legionaries are on par with your elites at half the cost and training time, give them enough room and you will fight against superior numbers of praetorians, one thing very capable of chewing phalanxes and bleed dry your best armies...

EDIT:

About scary things here is my late campaign... Notice the huge amount of cash I racked up despite the higher upkeep mini mod I'm developing...

If you wonder why southern Italy is still rebel that's because the Julii got killed by the gladiator uprising and a certain diplomat called Spartacus begged me for a ceasefire, effectively stopping pirates and brigands side effects... Basically it's like having them as covert allies, too bad I can't give the slave faction some money, maybe I'll try to tinker that aspect later... On a side note I really hate fighting the eggies in Africa, makes supply lines a real pain...
    Last edited by Zarax; February 25, 2006 at 10:19 AM.
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

I've added the screens of the new Ptolemaic units to the top post.

Default Desktop Pic

Just been having a go at making some XGM Desktop pics and this is the 1st one...

Its taken from one of DBH earlier screenshots

I've added some of the new unit shots to the top post.

Default Re: Screenshots

I split off the stuff about turning Sacred Band back into Corinthian Hypaspists. You can find it here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47526

Here's a few shots I took of recent battles.

01. 02. 03.
    04. 05. 06.

01. Pyrrhus lands in Africa. 02. Battle of Lepcis Magna. 03. Light Infantry outside Ancyra. 04. Last Stand of the Armenians. 05. Dacian Night Battle. 06. Flanked by Ethiopian Axemen.

The first battle when Pyrrhus landed in Africa was a close run thing. In the shot you can see the two main forces arrayed against eachother, while the garrison from Carthage approaches on Pyrrhus' right, with a small but elite force of Poeni Infantry, Sacred Band, and heavy cavalry. Pyrrhus knew he had to drive off the main force in time to turn his line and met the reinforcements, but the Carthaginian phalanx put up an impressive resitance. Fortunately for Pyrrhus a gap opened in the middle of the line just in time. He drove through it with his own heavy cavalry and routed the rest of the Carthaginian center. When the Carthaginian reinforcements arrived a savage fight ensued, but with the bulk of the Carthaginain forces already running for the horizon, the result was a foregone conclusion.

While working with loyalty I also tweaked the factions a bit by enabling naval invasions for greeks, ptolemaics and carthage... Here's a surprising result:

Another interesting thing you might want to notice is that the julii have been outlawed by senate, so SPQR is stuck between a rock and an hard place...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Nah, don't worry about them. Their Uber-Preatorian units will probably kick the Carthage out before you know it.

But aside from that, it's amazing that naval invasion work so well. People who complain that naval invasion doesn't work should see this.

Well, they managed to do it until the game CTDed on me... Still it's fun to discover the naval invasions work properly, at least on BI...
    The Best Is Yet To Come:

Carach's Avatar Dux Limitis

this game has come on a way it seems since i last played it...

better dl it again soon

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast