Thread: Intelligent Design and Science

Turbo's Avatar Civitate

Default Intelligent Design and Science

Below are some scientific laws that seem to support Intelligent Design. I'd be interested in some feedback on what you think. Please be polite and do not engage in ridicule as a tool for discussion (this is particularly directed at the anti-religion people).

First Law of Thermodynamics
    The first law of thermodynamics is equivalent to the principle of conservation of energy: the total energy of a closed system is constant; any energy change must be compensated by a corresponding inflow or outflow from the system.

Einstein showed that mass and energy are equivalent, by E=mc2. So, if the universe started from "nothing," energy conservation would seem to have been violated by the creation of matter. Some energy from outside is obviously required.

2nd Law of Thermodynamics
    The second law of thermodynamics requires that the entropy, or disorder, of the universe must increase or at least stay constant with time. This means that the universe started out in a greater state of order than it has today, and so must have been designed.

The odds are against it appearing 'randomly'
    (a) The odds against DNA assembling by chance are 1,040,000 to one (Hoyle, 1981), this caluclation was made by astromer Fred Hoyle. (b) Mathematician Roger Penrose has estimated that the probability of a universe with our particular set of physical properties is one part in 10 to the 10 power to the 123 power (Penrose 1989: 343). If the universe had appeared with slight variations in the strengths of the fundamental forces or the masses of elementary particles, that universe would be pure hydrogen at one extreme, or pure helium at the other. Neither would have allowed for the eventual production of heavy elements, such as carbon, necessary for life.

Ummon's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Nothing scientific supports intelligent design.

Infact, the second law supports evolution, as it has numerous corollaries and special cases which infact predict spontaneous formation of order from disorder.

Leave science to scientists.

Furthermore, as an assumption based on Einstein's theory of general relativity, yours is mistaken: it doesn't take dark energy and dark matter into consideration, nor the fact that general relativity doesn't apply below Planck's length.
    Last edited by Ummon; February 17, 2006 at 01:54 PM.

imb39's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Patrician Citizen spy of the council

OK. I'm going to close this now. Sorry but we have an Evolution vs Creationism thread avialable and I think that this will fit in with that. If anyone disagrees and I'' happily reconsider... imb39