Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: >> The Great Conflicts map.<<

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: >> The Great Conflicts map.<<

Braslav, Braslava, Breslava, Prelsava are all possible variation of the Slavic name, all of them are based on etymological searching of Slavic roots in the name Brezalauspurc and no one can say now which one of them is the most probable one.
    I am supporting the idea of replacing Bratislava with Devin (Dovina/Dowina) because of the reasons stated in the post.

For first, i would like to say, im very excited, and happy waiting on the mod, it looks Perfect!
    And now, I think bratislava should be replaced with Devin, and when you want to change the settlement names to Slavic, Buda is also Hungarian, in Slavic or today Slovak, it was called Budin, thats 100% accurate for that period Its funny when I see that you changed the names for Blatnohrad, Solnohrad and you let Buda isnted of Budin
    And Im not really sure whats Solyom, but Im sure it isnt in slavic nor Latin/greek.
    I Only wanted to help with acurency, good luck with mod

EDIT: Szekelyundvarhely is sure Hungarian, and I dont think if it shouldnt be in Bulgarian,Slavic of Latin...
    Last edited by Markusoo; September 29, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markusoo View Post
    For first, i would like to say, im very excited, and happy waiting on the mod, it looks Perfect!
    And now, I think bratislava should be replaced with Devin
    Most likely it will be changed.

and when you want to change the settlement names to Slavic, Buda is also Hungarian, in Slavic or today Slovak, it was called Budin, thats 100% accurate for that period Its funny when I see that you changed the names for Blatnohrad, Solnohrad and you let Buda isnted of Budin
    Can you back your statement with a reliable source? And for me Budin is funny (in Polish-Slavic it means pudding / from the other hand Buda means in Polish dog's hut )

And Im not really sure whats Solyom,
    but Im sure it isnt in slavic nor Latin/greek.
    I Only wanted to help with acurency, good luck with mod
    =Solnohrad.

EDIT: Szekelyundvarhely is sure Hungarian, and I dont think if it shouldnt be in Bulgarian,Slavic of Latin...
    Szekelyundvarhely together with Bihar are settlements of Szeklers AoR and Szeklers itself were ethnically closest to Magyars. And of course Szeklers were present in Carpathian basin before TGC starting date.
    Last edited by Silesian_Noble; September 30, 2012 at 04:49 AM.

Hrobatos's Avatar Tribunus

Solnohrad is salt city, perhaps there was a salt mine there?

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    Can you back your statement with a reliable source? And for me Budin is funny (in Polish-Slavic it means pudding / from the other hand Buda means in Polish dog's hut )
    Budin is also another medieval form of the Bulgarian Bdin/Bădin (modern Vidin). The Greeks f.e. wrote it as "Voudini". It supposedly comes from the Slavic verb "bdyati" - "to keep watch". Though I've heard the Bulgars used "Buda", not "Budin" for the Buda fortress (and, respectively, the Slavic "pesht", i.e. oven, for the fortress on the other side), but that might be a modern myth. In any case, Budin sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrobatos View Post
    Solnohrad is salt city, perhaps there was a salt mine there?
    And salt market. There were many salt mines in Transylvania, which were quite an economic boost. Heck, just a couple of decades after the mod starts, the Frankish King Arnulf demanded from the Bulgarian Knyaz Vladimir-Rasate to aid the Germans in the war with the Moravians by stopping the export of salt from there for Velikomoravia. Don't know how that would've helped for the war though...

Majkl's Avatar Tiro

Here in Slovakia we have such a fairy tale, "Soľ nad zlato" something like "Salt is more valuable than gold"

Fine job! But I'd like to correct your map villages and castle-centers on the location near Rus principality. Some settlements are incorrect on your map- at that time there were no such villages at all (for example Chernivtsi and Belgorod, Galatsi). Instead of them you can set the appropriate villages: Bârlad (instead of Galatsi), Chern (as Chernivtsi was called at that time), You can use several antient villages instead of Belgorod- you can use Sugrov or Donets (as for this one- there is no wiki link in english unfortunately, but you can see that the castle was in VIII—XIII century. ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86_%28%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%29
    Thank you for attention

Quote Originally Posted by Taddy-boy View Post
    Fine job! But I'd like to correct your map villages and castle-centers on the location near Rus principality. Some settlements are incorrect on your map- at that time there were no such villages at all (for example Chernivtsi and Belgorod, Galatsi). Instead of them you can set the appropriate villages: Bârlad (instead of Galatsi), Chern (as Chernivtsi was called at that time), You can use several antient villages instead of Belgorod- you can use Sugrov or Donets (as for this one- there is no wiki link in english unfortunately, but you can see that the castle was in VIII—XIII century. ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%94%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86_%28%D0%B3%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%B4%29
    Thank you for attention
    I guess you missed my post no 156 in this thread ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...7#post12028257 ). Also I was thinking about replacing Belyjgorod and I was considering both Donets (which is probably out of TGC geographical range) and Sugrov (alongside with neighbour Balin and Sharukan but I think all three are also beyond TGC map range plus they are considered to be of Cuman origin which is out of TGC timeframe). Anyway I wonder do you have any detailed info about Donets settlement? I know it from a few map of my collection but I have no specific info about it.

shikaka's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBG View Post
    Budin is also another medieval form of the Bulgarian Bdin/Bădin (modern Vidin). The Greeks f.e. wrote it as "Voudini". It supposedly comes from the Slavic verb "bdyati" - "to keep watch". Though I've heard the Bulgars used "Buda", not "Budin" for the Buda fortress (and, respectively, the Slavic "pesht", i.e. oven, for the fortress on the other side), but that might be a modern myth. In any case, Budin sounds good to me.

And salt market. There were many salt mines in Transylvania, which were quite an economic boost. Heck, just a couple of decades after the mod starts, the Frankish King Arnulf demanded from the Bulgarian Knyaz Vladimir-Rasate to aid the Germans in the war with the Moravians by stopping the export of salt from there for Velikomoravia. Don't know how that would've helped for the war though...

I read a bit on it, and in hungarian the most accepted theory seems to be that Buda comes like:
    roman name: Aquincum
    translated to locals language: Voda
    which transformed into: Buda

About Pozsony: as far as I know the hungarian name comes from the first comes of St.Stephen who ruled that area, so for the start date it would be strange. Bratislava is also strange, as it is a 19th century name (misunderstanding Braslavespruch).

voda is slavic for water, yeah it sounds possible

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    That is one of what TGC offers. Knowledge.
    Yes Venice was part of the Empire. It was a semi indepentant province (like ketapanata provinces). That ment the the province could have foreign relations slightly different from the rest of the Empire in order to survive. But officially was empire's land.
    Doges inorder to have recognition of their authority had to have the ok by the Emperor him self.
    By the late 10th century Venice received more autonomy as a reward of creating a strong fleet that supported the Italian campaigns.
    Even Dandolo (arround 1200) had to have that approval of his ruleship. In some chronicles it was mentioned that Dandolo decided that a campaign against the "mother" land could gain his state's full indepentance.
    He claimed that the Emperor blinded him as a punishment of his wish to give to his subjects their full freedom. Actually he was blind by old age. But we can see that even in 1200 Venice rulers had to have the official (not actuall though) approval of their authority by the Roman Emperors.
    Excellent summary, I was looking into the Most Serene Republic's history to see if it would fit with the time period.

But is there any way the city of Venice could be put on an island, completely separated from land. The city was intentionally put on the islands of the lagoon in the 740's to protect against the Lombards (mostly) and was impossible to attack from the land; the bridge which now connects the island to the mainland was not built until 1932. This was one of the most important factors in the Venetian rise to prominence, one had to blockade the entire city to attack it, and landing parties were very difficult on the metropolitan islands.

I think it would be best to have the main island of Venice inside the lagoon, maybe with its port on the island of Lido, at Malamocco, which was in important town for the Republic, especially in this time period. That way you could blockade her port, (effectively rendering the rich city useless), and land an army on her shores, but you could not attack the city at all from the mainland. As Venice was sought after by ultimately anyone who desired control of Italy (including Charlemagne, whose empire the Venetians almost got away with joining), it is important that it retain its defensability, even if it is under Byzantine control.

Attached are a couple maps of the lagoon for reference. The major exports that initially contributed to Venetian success were salt and salt-fish. The canals had been built immediately prior to the period of this mod, during the rule of Agnello Participazio in 811-827. In fact this seems to be a period of significant Venetian autonomy besides their nominal rule under Byzantium. They engaged with many Croatian and Muslim pirates, and often tried to seize land from Croatia, namely the Dalmatian islands. In fact, I'm gonna continue researching, I'm not sure we should give up on Venetian autonomy (and her own faction) just yet.

Why isn't Jerusalem on the map? It was certainly an important city. It had been even before the Roman Empire (and I mean the real Roman Empire). It was fortified before the Romans conquered it, and then allowed to refortify after they destroyed its walls upon conquest. But more importantly, it was the center of Jewish culture, and therefor of the Christian culture that followed it, which is, of course, of severe importance to most of the western cultures of this time period. But that's not all, because it is also a holy city for the Muslims, they held her in just as high regard as the western Christians did. Moreover, to put simply, Jerusalem had been one of the most important wealthy and populous cities in the region for over a millennium. (from the wiki page: "Under the early centuries of Muslim rule, especially during the Umayyad (650-750) and Abbasid (750-969) dynasties, the city prospered; the 10th century geographers Ibn Hawqal and al-Istakhri describe it as "the most fertile province of Palestine", while its native son geographer al-Muqaddasi (born 946) devoted many pages to its praises in his most famous work, The Best Divisions in the Knowledge of the Climes. Jerusalem under Muslim rule did not achieve the political or cultural status enjoyed by the capitals Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo etc") I think it hardly seems fair that it be forgotten in the region of another city.

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Quote Originally Posted by HobGremlin View Post
    Why isn't Jerusalem on the map? It was certainly an important city. It had been even before the Roman Empire (and I mean the real Roman Empire). It was fortified before the Romans conquered it, and then allowed to refortify after they destroyed its walls upon conquest. But more importantly, it was the center of Jewish culture, and therefor of the Christian culture that followed it, which is, of course, of severe importance to most of the western cultures of this time period. But that's not all, because it is also a holy city for the Muslims, they held her in just as high regard as the western Christians did. Moreover, to put simply, Jerusalem had been one of the most important wealthy and populous cities in the region for over a millennium. (from the wiki page: "Under the early centuries of Muslim rule, especially during the Umayyad (650-750) and Abbasid (750-969) dynasties, the city prospered; the 10th century geographers Ibn Hawqal and al-Istakhri describe it as "the most fertile province of Palestine", while its native son geographer al-Muqaddasi (born 946) devoted many pages to its praises in his most famous work, The Best Divisions in the Knowledge of the Climes. Jerusalem under Muslim rule did not achieve the political or cultural status enjoyed by the capitals Damascus, Baghdad, Cairo etc") I think it hardly seems fair that it be forgotten in the region of another city.
    It is on the map They have just named it Al-kuds, which is the Arabian name for Jerusalem. And as your said yourself, the muslims controlled it during these times, so it makes sense to give it its Arabic name. But to be honest I thought the same at first, wondering where Jerusalem is.

As for Venice I would appreciate such a depiction of the city as well, but I'm not sure if it is possible in game.
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Quote Originally Posted by Mausolos of Caria View Post
    It is on the map They have just named it Al-kuds, which is the Arabian name for Jerusalem. And as your said yourself, the muslims controlled it during these times, so it makes sense to give it its Arabic name. But to be honest I thought the same at first, wondering where Jerusalem is.

As for Venice I would appreciate such a depiction of the city as well, but I'm not sure if it is possible in game.
    Oh! I see. Great! I'm glad Jerusalem is there, I saw Al-kuds, but I guess I just didn't place it.

As for the Venice idea. What I was thinking is that I've seen it potrayed in game and in other mods as being an island just big enough for a city and troops, but usually only separated by a river, with a bridge connecting to land. But such a bridge did not exist. I don't really know how large the area around Venezia is on this map, the name of the town kinda blocks the view of the lagoon. But it does appear that the lagoon is there (an actual bay, as opposed to the usual, just a piece of land separated by a river), I was thinking it might be doable to put a city sized island there.

If so, then you could maybe have Lido also as just a short stretch of land, immediately south of and actually blocking sea access to the island of Venice; big enough to walk an army across, and with a port if possible facing south (representing Malamocco, an important port and inlet to Venice), but since the port is on Lido it can be blockaded from outside anyway. Then a 'land-bridge' (the green arrow-y thing) from Lido to Venice proper, with just enough room on the island to afford an army to besiege the city. This would be the most preferred way to do it, if possible.

Another option is to just do one island large enough for the city and a landing army to fit on, with no bridge, and maybe a port at either Heraclea to the east, facing south, or Chioggia on the south of the lagoon, facing east (or even better, north, if it could fit). Maps with all the islands and cities I named were in the attachments on the first post.

Could even consider making the city unwalled, like Sparta was in RTW (maybe use a different building to upgrade the city?). It didn't actually have walls, other than perhaps in a few militarized areas; its location was its primary defense, as well as a strong navy, to prevent such landings as I have described, and it worked well. But also there was not much room to build walls; as much as could be had was necessary to fit the bustling populace, though I suppose not so much at this time yet. Might even go as far as to make a custom battle map for Venice, complete with bridges and islands to battle across, but I wouldn't expect you guys to go that far, and of course, that's not for this thread anyway. (If you did, the third attached picture on my first post would be a good reference, it shows in detail the main islands and canals, and I'd certainly enjoy doing more research to help make it happen )

Anyway, I guess gotta talk to absinthia mainly to see whether it can be done. Great map by the way, extremely detailed, I can't wait to get out and conquer it!

Silesian_Noble is the correct one to answer for the mapping, as he is the one now working on it.

but i think it is safe to say that wether Venezia is on an island or on a small peninsula cut of by a river, there will be a landbridge/river-crossing and so the effect much the same.
    Hr. Alf han hugg til han var mod, Han sto i femten Ridderes Blod; Så tog han alle de Kogger ni Og sejlede dermed til Norge fri. Og der kom tidende til Rostock ind, Der blegned saa mangen Rosenkind. Der græd Enker og der græd Børn, Dem hadde gjort fattig den skadelige Ørn.
    Anders Sørensen Vedel

Laetus

Krainburg was absolutelly never ever under croatia!

You should not jump into disscusions before actualy reading the thread. That has been solved, its gona be most likely rebbel province or perhaps Franskish.

Any chance of us seeing an updated map? I would think it's somewhat different now, with all the changes and updates that were discussed here.

Right now Venezia is placed on the continental, but it wasn't me who put it there Anyway I will ask the team whether we want to move it on island or on any sort of peninsula or not. Technically it is not a problem at all. As for the picture of updated map, I will ask Anthon whether to post the current map. I mean on the present map picture there are not only changes within provinces but also plenty PSFs planted on all over the map. Those PSFs are not the final ones (except for HRE and Italy which landscape is much done) but from the other hand it could be useful to have some comments from the interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Silesian_Noble View Post
    Right now Venezia is placed on the continental, but it wasn't me who put it there Anyway I will ask the team whether we want to move it on island or on any sort of peninsula or not. Technically it is not a problem at all.
    Right on. It would be more accurate. Like I said, the reason the capitol of the region was moved to its current location was to prevent land attacks, and that was a prominent reason for the city's value as a trading port, and it was moved there prior to this time period in 740.

Quote Originally Posted by absinthia View Post
    but i think it is safe to say that wether Venezia is on an island or on a small peninsula cut of by a river, there will be a landbridge/river-crossing and so the effect much the same.
    I don't think a landbridge is to the same effect as a river-crossing, as a land bridge can be blocked by a navy, stopping its use unless a more powerful navy can move them; whereas navies cannot ride up rivers to block them.

Either way, what I'm trying to say is that a land bridge from mainland Italy is not accurate, in my opinion it should be accessible only by loading an army onto a ship and landing them upon the island. This is what prevented large scale sieges and attacks upon Venezia, and also made it the naval power it would become by forcing the city to advance its naval capacity to prevent landing attacks and blockades.

When I made a reference to use of a land bridge before, I meant from one island (Lido, enclosing the outside of the lagoon) to the other (the Islands of Venezia, there's a few, but they are close enough together to represent as one entity. See attachment).
    Quote Originally Posted by HobGremlin View Post
    then you could maybe have Lido also as just a short stretch of land, immediately south of and actually blocking sea access to the island of Venice; big enough to walk an army across, and with a port if possible, facing south (representing Malamocco, an important port and inlet to Venice), but since the port is on Lido it can be blockaded from outside anyway. Then a 'land-bridge' (the green arrow-y thing) from Lido to Venice proper, with just enough room on the island (of Venice) to afford an army to besiege the city.
    I suppose another land bridge could be placed from the mainland to the south-western edge of Lido, then one from the north side to Venezia. If this were done, an army could become stranded on Lido if both land bridges were blocked by navies, which would be an interesting effect. I'm not sure how much room is offered at that section of the map. It may be difficult to include the island of Lido at all, since it runs longways across the lagoon, but the presence of both the island of Lido and the Island(s) of Venice proper is the most accurate portrayal.

If there is not enough room for this, it may be simpler to just place an island in the center of the lagoon and have no land bridge at all. Just the city on an island, with enough room for your army to land and besiege. The port could be on the mainland, to simplify it. Either way use of navies should be an integral part of both attacking and defending the city. This requires at least that city be separated by more than a river-crossing.

Just trying to help you guys keep it accurate to the history, which you've certainly done a stunning job of overall. Sorry if I have a bit of a soft spot for the Most Serene Republic.

Thanks again to all of you guys, this map and this mod all looks fantastic! I really can't wait to play it.