Thread: Barbarian Unit Stats Revision

Default Barbarian Unit Stats Revision

I am currently using SAI v1.0 with the add-on folder (Part 1) that I copy-pasted into the RTW folder and the revised Part II which I installed over my existing game files (with old Part II).

JH, I regret to inform you, but it seems that your tweaks (revision) to the barbarian units (Goths, Huns, etc.) in the EDU of the first add-on file did not modify their stats in any noticeable way (at least for me). On the positive side, I felt motivated to then go through most barbarian factions in campaign mode and find the remaining barbarian units that have odd unit stats and that may need revision. They should be changed because they are worthless when you can make a cheaper and better unit or when faced with the more diverse and armoured civilised units. Oh and those temples are really Slavic ones and not honouring Germanic deities as you very well know lol.

These are suggestions but it would make a big difference for people playing as a barbarian faction, though most don't since this mod focuses mostly on Rome or the Sassanid Empire. Nevertheless, units and battles are a major strong point for your excellent mod so players would be less frustrated with these minor annoyances.

I have not given the actual numerical values of the stats that need revision, but I have named them in parenthesis so you can do what you see fit. There are actually quite a few more than I expected.

Alamanni

- - Axemen (armour, attack, charge bonus)
    - - Heavy Axemen (charge bonus)
    - -Noblemen (Comitatus) – (charge bonus)
    - - Uzgilesun Skuzzon (attack, which is much lower than Waldmanne)
    - - Alamanne (charge bonus)
    - -Heavy Cnihte (armour, attack)
    - -Cnihte (attack)
    - - Noble Cnihte (attack)
    - - SUEBI WARBAND MISSING UNIT IN CAMPAIGN

Quadi
    - -Quadi Berserkers (attack)
    Vandals
    - - Gardingi Noble infantry (attack)
    Franks
    - - Antrostja-Scola (charge bonus)
    - - Eoilum-Ban (attack)
    - -Heavy Cnihte (attack)

Saxons

- - Juguth-Eorid (charge bonus)
    - - Noblemen (Comitatus) – (charge bonus)
    - -Duguth-Eorid (attack, charge bonus)
    - - Gisithe (attack)

Greuthungi and Thervingi
    - Thervingi Veterans (armour)

Huns
    - - Hvar Heavy Spearmen (armour)
    - -Foot Druzhina (armour)
    - - Hvar Heavy Swordsmen (armour)
    Last edited by justinius; April 08, 2011 at 10:19 PM.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Re: Barbarian Unit Stats Revision

Quote Originally Posted by justinius View Post
    I am currently using SAI v1.0 with the add-on folder (Part 1) that I copy-pasted into the RTW folder and the revised Part II which I installed over my existing game files (with old Part II).

JH, I regret to inform you, but it seems that your tweaks (revision) to the barbarian units (Goths, Huns, etc.) in the add-on file did not modify their stats in any way (at least for me). On the positive side, I felt motivated to then go through most barbarian factions in campaign mode and find the remaining barbarian units that have odd unit stats and that may need revision. They should be changed because they are worthless when you can make a cheaper and better unit or when faced with the more diverse and armoured civilised units. Oh and those temples are really Slavic ones and not honouring Germanic deities as you very well know lol.

These are suggestions but it would make a big difference for people playing as a barbarian faction, though most don't since this mod focuses mostly on Rome or the Sassanid Empire. Nevertheless, units and battles are a major strong point for your excellent mod so players would be less frustrated with these minor annoyances.

I have not given the actual numerical values of the stats that need revision, but I have named them in parenthesis so you can do what you see fit. There are actually quite a few more than I expected.

Alamanni

- - Axemen (armour, attack, charge bonus)
    - - Heavy Axemen (charge bonus)
    - -Noblemen (Comitatus) – (charge bonus)
    - - Uzgilesun Skuzzon (attack, which is much lower than Waldmanne)
    - - Alamanne (charge bonus)
    - -Heavy Cnihte (armour, attack)
    - -Cnihte (attack)
    - - Noble Cnihte (attack)
    - - SUEBI WARBAND MISSING UNIT IN CAMPAIGN

Quadi
    - -Quadi Berserkers (attack)
    Vandals
    - - Gardingi Noble infantry (attack)
    Franks
    - - Antrostja-Scola (charge bonus)
    - - Eoilum-Ban (attack)
    - -Heavy Cnihte (attack)

Saxons

- - Juguth-Eorid (charge bonus)
    - - Noblemen (Comitatus) – (charge bonus)
    - -Duguth-Eorid (attack, charge bonus)
    - - Gisithe (attack)

Greuthungi and Thervingi
    - Thervingi Veterans (armour)

Huns
    - - Hvar Heavy Spearmen (armour)
    - -Foot Druzhina (armour)
    - - Hvar Heavy Swordsmen (armour)
    I think that most of the stats are OK. That's not to say that others may disagree. No mod is perfect and if you are not happy with stuff, then just simply change it. I have accomodated many of your suggestions previously and thank you for your assistance.

I am currently repackaging Parts I, II and now III for upload.

EDIT: I am making adjustments but if you are still not happy then make your own changes.

Regards
    Last edited by julianus heraclius; April 02, 2011 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Editing

Ok I will check out those adjustments that you have made. For example, Heavy Cnihte, Cnihte or Noble Cnihte for the Alamanni have an attack of 3 or 4 which is worse and very mediocre compared to the melee attack of Germanic light skirmishers (auxilia, etc.). I've made a few changes but they will be overwritten if you perhaps modify the file or their statistics and I want others to not have to experience this problem.

I'll have to check this out myself again to be sure, but I forgot to mention that Mormaers have a crazy amount of armour or defence (34-36?) for Picts and their charge bonus was 2 or something like that (unless this is caused by such heavy armour). Dinuadda-Claiomnaghta also had a 20 primary attack value and 17 charge bonus, which is obviously way too high for a unit of 80 or so men with two-handers. I think this is what many people were complaining about and I have already changed this myself.
    Last edited by justinius; April 07, 2011 at 07:45 PM.

Here's the export_descr_unit file.

Great. Thanks

Wait, is a person supposed to dowload this file or what?

Quote Originally Posted by crlane View Post
    Wait, is a person supposed to dowload this file or what?
    No, this was intended for me to include in my next Patch Update.

Oh yeah please, lower those berserkers' attack, it's so ridiculous!
    Last edited by Jaujon; April 16, 2011 at 07:13 AM.
    "IN NOMINE XPI VINCAS SEMPER" - Au nom du Christ tu vaincras toujours.