Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

easiest to hardest : Chokosabe, Shimazu, Mori, Hojo, Date, Hattori, Takeda, Uesugi, Tokugawa, Oda.
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    Oda is deceptively easy actually and a true steamroller the first few years.

- Kill rebels
    - Hide in town, que 2 units, upgrade whatever building u like and choose a tech tree.
    - End turn
    - Saito and Tokugawa park there armies
    - Que another 2 units
    - End turn
    - Saito attacks, Tokugawa re-enforces, however once on the field Tokugawa is passive.
    - Kill the Saito units completely and use a general on horse to fetch the Tokugawa forces and trigger them to engage. Slaughter them.
    - Use 2 units and a general to annex Saito's lands. Remaining units can annex the Tokugawa lands or force them into peace, or anything ur heart desires.
    - If u also annexed the Tokugawa lands your now able to produce 7 units per turn for 4 turns until the recruitment bonus wears off.

If u want to expand early on before the AI ruins your future lands by upgrading there strongholds u'll have a very easy time
    Play DMS and no steamroll for you! Those 2 units will be slaughtered in the siege..
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Protector Domesticus

Really weird how so many people say Oda is hardest. I played Oda a bit on legendary, and found it quite easy.

Sure, you get attacked by a few armies at the start, but they are small, and unless you kinda suck, you can defeat them all easily, and then their settlements are completely empty and free for the taking. I had conquered the Saito, Tokugawa, Oda, taken an Imagawa castle and vassalated the remainder, and then got alliances with Hojo and Takeda via hostages, all in the first few turns.

I'd say Uesugi Legendary is the hardest, by far.
    Last edited by Mordrorru; April 02, 2011 at 05:56 AM.

i just start as takeda on hard. They are pretty tough to play as.

So far i have tried the date and takeda clan

I see a lot of people had trouble with Uesugi, I'll make a writeup how I beat it on legendary, at least the first important aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrorru View Post
    Really weird how so many people say Oda is hardest. I played Oda a bit on legendary, and found it quite easy.

Sure, you get attacked by a few armies at the start, but they are small, and unless you kinda suck, you can defeat them all easily, and then their settlements are completely empty and free for the taking. I had conquered the Saito, Tokugawa, Oda, taken an Imagawa castle and vassalated the remainder, and then got alliances with Hojo and Takeda via hostages, all in the first few turns.

I'd say Uesugi Legendary is the hardest, by far.
    U are 1000% right mate.
    Egyptian revolutionary.....Canadian in nationality......Arab by blood.....and proud Muslim.

I found Oda pretty easy..

Playing defensive for the first turn is all it matters(defeat rebels/move all unit back into the castle make 2 arshigaru archers/very high tax/build road/port.. It get harder after realm divide since you'll enemies on both side

I also found Date the easiest

Shimazu which suppose to be easy I them found much harder than Oda starting points..(but they are easier late game like Date)

I also found that Hatori can be hard also depending if you go south(hard) or north(easy)

Shimazu is so easy cuz you're in prime position to rush all the trade nodes. Once you own everything but the Ainu one, you pretty much dominate the whole game.

I finished Uesugi on very hard and it took me a long time to finish it. If you take honma island in the begining and then sacrifice your capital when you get mass atacked, you can field a full army and recover it later, since honma has gold mines.

Also I had trouble with realm divide since it turned the date, which where the second mst powerful clan against, while the houji sent three full armys against me. It was really hard
    Last edited by pdrolo; July 30, 2011 at 07:48 PM.

Easy : Oda, Shimazu, Chosokabe and Date
    Hard : Uesugi, Takeda, Ikko Ikki, Hattori

Haven't play the rest. I just beat the game as Oda in legendary, and imo is far easier then Uesugi and ikko ikki at very hard, just play aggressively from the beginning and keep pumping the ashigaru. With a 6 star general (mine have 8 bonus to morale), armory and weapon upgrade, plus upgrades from the spear mastery, the ashigaru can even beat the vanilla Ai katana's unit quite easily at very low cost. Uesugi imo have the most terrible starting position, the takeda have the second worst.

In my opinion it's always about the ability/difficulty of getting 4-6 provinces with which to turtle and grow economically without getting into too many wars. In order judging from my experience with H/VH:

Shimazu: two small scale battles to fight in the opening 4 turns. Otomo will always be at war with Shoni or Sagara so it's very possible to be at 4 provinces by turn 10. By then you'll likely have controlled 3-4 trade nodes. Very fertile provinces in the north of Kyushu
    Chokosabe: once you defeat the Kono you have a clear run to the rest of the island which gives you 5 provinces to turtle and build up your strength.
    Mori: Hostile Amako owns a gold mine province. Once you take that it's up to you to expand into Kyushu or towards Tokyo. If you decide the latter park a strong fleet on the land bridge and the Kyushu threat is non-existent.
    Hojo: Izu is the richest province in the game. On top of that Takeda and Imagawa are willing and relatively stable allies. Ogygayatsu is a weak province ripe for the taking. Your entire holdings at that point can be defended from Musashi.
    Date: I've always found that the rebels try to play hide-and-seek if you go out to get them but that's about the only difficulty in the opening 20 turns. Vast distances make it very annoying early game.
    Oda: Superhuman ashigaru. End of story. Owari is very fertile and Mikkawa has superior horses. Just don't try to fight the Hojo and Ikko Ikki at the same time.
    Hattori: financial constraints make it hard to field a full stack to begin with, especially with Iga being so poor. Capturing Yamato and Kii will help but also make you a lot of enemies.
    Tokugawa: Same as Oda minus the crazy ashigaru.
    Takeda: possible to secure southern front for a few turns through alliance with Hojo/Imagawa. that's about the only good thing I can say about their opening. Superior Takeda cavalry aren't very useful without money to build the dojos.
    Uesugi: war on 3 fronts anyone?

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Chosokabe or Date for easiest. Both isolated and easy to defendthe home provinces. Oda's also not that bad.

Hardest for me has been the Ikk's or the Hattori. One everyone loves to hate, the other has 25%(IIRC) more expensive foot troops(and the Ikk's and Oda for early enemies to make things even worse). Surprisingly I also find the Shimazu start rather difficult (although once you are going nothing can stop you).
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Hartassen's Avatar Biarchus

Easiest: Oda
    Hardest: Not sure. Too many clans have easy starts and hard lategames or vice versa.

And to all who claim chosokabe is easy, folly. They have really bad economy even with the 5 provinces. By the time you take over your island your eco is still in such shape with only 1 stack of ashigaru that it takes forever to build up your island economically. You might have a really secure position but your economy is so off, and by the time you invade kyoto's half-island or somewhere else there are always clans more powerful than you, luckily defensive sieges are chosokabes forté.
    Last edited by Hartassen; August 01, 2011 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    Oda is deceptively easy actually and a true steamroller the first few years.

- Kill rebels
    - Hide in town, que 2 units, upgrade whatever building u like and choose a tech tree.
    - End turn
    - Saito and Tokugawa park there armies
    - Que another 2 units
    - End turn
    - Saito attacks, Tokugawa re-enforces, however once on the field Tokugawa is passive.
    - Kill the Saito units completely and use a general on horse to fetch the Tokugawa forces and trigger them to engage. Slaughter them.
    - Use 2 units and a general to annex Saito's lands. Remaining units can annex the Tokugawa lands or force them into peace, or anything ur heart desires.
    - If u also annexed the Tokugawa lands your now able to produce 7 units per turn for 4 turns until the recruitment bonus wears off.
    If u want to expand early on before the AI ruins your future lands by upgrading there strongholds u'll have a very easy time
    U sir have not been playing on legendary. Oda is NOT a steamroller than. You are attacked by saito with tokogawa reinforcing on first turn, providing you hid in the town like I did, and depending on how well you do, attacked by the rebels also. This is all against your like 6 unit army? and together they have roughly 2.5x your guys? After you conquer the saito its no cake walk either. You are constantly attacked by imagawa, asai, and hattori once they quickly stomp their nieghbors. And the same with the takeda. Oda is hardest by far.

wolfbane751's Avatar Campidoctor

easiest: ikko -ikki
    hardest shimazu
    i always get pwned y the dam ito they just keep spamming stacks at me i find it sucks to be at war with a clan with 2 provinces opposed to my 1 -.-

Quote Originally Posted by wolfbane751 View Post
    easiest: ikko -ikki
    hardest shimazu
    i always get pwned y the dam ito they just keep spamming stacks at me i find it sucks to be at war with a clan with 2 provinces opposed to my 1 -.-
    You must be joking, destroying Ito is simple. So is destroying Otomo. Taking over Sagara and Shoni however is the real challenge.

And by the way, Ikko Ikki ain't easy, you have to beeline to calligraphy surpassing lots of tax and upkeep bonuses making early economy bad. Also you can't expand too fast or territorial expansion + religious difference will bring enemies to your doorstep like a McDonald's attracts fat kids around the block.

Deutschland's Avatar East of Rome Mod Leader

The hardest is definetly the Hojo clan, easiest would be Chosokabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Deutschland View Post
    The hardest is definetly the Hojo clan, easiest would be Chosokabe.
    Exactly how is Hojo hardest when it start with a goldmine, and can ally with Imagawa+Takeda creating a triforce alliance and then expand east to conquer Satomi and take up 5 provinces fast as hell?

And I know what you're thinking regarding Chosokabe. "Inaccessible island protected by water on all sides, AI hardly does naval invasions". This also means "Inacessible island protected by water on all sides, not enough trade routes to go around, bad economy and forced to invade clans that will have superior economy."'

TL;DR I don't agree

Morray's Avatar Semisalis

Man my first campaign as Useugi was a real eye opener, I played VH/VH snd got SPANKED!
    Loose - Free or released from fastening or attachment "a loose tooth".

Lose - Be deprived of or cease to have or retain "I've lost my appetite".

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Hojo was pretty easy, i had a walkthrough on hard (while i sometimes struggle on normal with other clans) , yeah i know i suck

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast