Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

Indefinitely Banned

Default Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

In your opinion what is the Easiest Clan to play as and why. And whats the hardest Clan to play as and why.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Hardest/Easiest Clan in Campaign?

Chosokabe is easiest hands down, you start isolated on a freakin island with no land bridge, your only weakness is naval invasions. Hardest is probably Oda or Tokugawa, both start smack in the middle of the chaos in Japan, and Tokugawa even starts as a vassal. Oda is surrounded by enemies, and Tokugawa cannot benefit from its diplomacy bonuses until you free yourself from the Imagawa.

Protector's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Raimeken View Post
    Chosokabe is easiest hands down, you start isolated on a freakin island with no land bridge, your only weakness is naval invasions. Hardest is probably Oda or Tokugawa, both start smack in the middle of the chaos in Japan, and Tokugawa even starts as a vassal. Oda is surrounded by enemies, and Tokugawa cannot benefit from its diplomacy bonuses until you free yourself from the Imagawa.
    Agree,

In addition to that I would say Shimazu also is easy like Chosokabe. Anyway in about 1550 with Chosokabe all of the 5-territory island is fully in my hand and in 1555 same with Shimazu 7-territory island.

Easiest is Date. Weak neighbors and easy to get +4 meele nodachi (from weaponsmith) early. Makes the AI ashigaru armies RUNNNNN!!!!

Hardest on the first turn is Oda, being attacked by rebels,Tokugawa and Saito is not fun...

Overall Hardest is Takeda. One of the early missions is to take North Shinano. Once completed (on hard) all the neighbors declare war within a few turns ... (Uesigi,Anekaoji,Kosi,Yamanouchi.) Followed by either Hojo or Imagawa , who will break an alliance if needed. This is probably due to the whole threats of attack thing, which pretty much neuters alliances and friendly clan relations.

The Takeda experience above is from 6 campaigns started on very hard. Each with varying alliances, and friendly clans.End result the same, within few turns at war with all neighbors except 1 of Hojo/Imagawa.
    Last edited by FinkPloyd; April 01, 2011 at 04:00 AM.

Goudvinger's Avatar Semisalis

The hardest faction in my opinion is Oda, the easiest has to be Chosokabe

A christian clan is the hardest of them all.

SonOfOdin's Avatar More tea?

Easiest : Chosokabe
    Hardest : Oda, Tokugawa
    /The Eagle Standard/Under the patronage of Omnipotent-Q/Werder Bremen fan/

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

I have found the Hojo to be extremely tough, mainly due to very poor finances and bad access to trade nodes. Had a bug later though when pirating a trade route which gave me too much money lol. Love using the Fire mangonels and Rocket units though. Trained them in Gun Mastery to give them Samurai Matchlock's without the need for Christianity. Their poor range makes them easy picking even for Ashy Bowman, but their great in siege defences
    "Nuke the Site from orbit - Only way to be sure"!

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Easiest is Oda actually just keep building Ashigaru defend a little then strike out ... one of the few campaigns where I auto-resolved many of the battles and always came out on top.

Hardest for me is the Tokugawa only because of the diplomacy situation as I stayed loyal to the Imagawa overlords and they never betrayed me ... at least so far.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Goudvinger View Post
    The hardest faction in my opinion is Oda, the easiest has to be Chosokabe
    Oda is deceptively easy actually and a true steamroller the first few years.

- Kill rebels
    - Hide in town, que 2 units, upgrade whatever building u like and choose a tech tree.
    - End turn
    - Saito and Tokugawa park there armies
    - Que another 2 units
    - End turn
    - Saito attacks, Tokugawa re-enforces, however once on the field Tokugawa is passive.
    - Kill the Saito units completely and use a general on horse to fetch the Tokugawa forces and trigger them to engage. Slaughter them.
    - Use 2 units and a general to annex Saito's lands. Remaining units can annex the Tokugawa lands or force them into peace, or anything ur heart desires.
    - If u also annexed the Tokugawa lands your now able to produce 7 units per turn for 4 turns until the recruitment bonus wears off.

If u want to expand early on before the AI ruins your future lands by upgrading there strongholds u'll have a very easy time

Sol Invictus's Avatar Domesticus

Yeah I played a few years as Oda and if you can survive the first wave; which isn't that difficult; then you can crank out Ashigaru like mad and lay waste to your neighbors. I think Tokugawa would have to be the most difficult but I haven't tried them yet. Mori on Hard can be difficult since the Shoni decide to come from out of nowhere and launch D-Day on you while you are fighting to the west.
    Last edited by Sol Invictus; April 01, 2011 at 09:48 AM.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Invictus View Post
    Yeah I played a few years as Oda and if you can survive the first wave; which isn't that difficult; then you can crank out Ashigaru like made and lay waste to your neighbors. I think Tokugawa would have to be the most difficult but I haven't tried them yet. Mori on Hard can be difficult since the Shoni decide to come from out of nowhere and launch D-Day on you while you are fighting to the west.
    Tokugawa is also not very difficult but it basically requires u to destroy the Oda, which is always a shame and turtle with 2 provinces until your masters declare war on you. I've had that happen on turn 2, but also after 15 turns, the latter being very annoying
    Worse case scenario u press end turn and 4-5 factions declare war on you due to you keeping your army strength at low to trigger your masters into attacking you.

For me, Chosokabe easiest, followed by Oda suprisingly

Shimazu is Easy, ONLY after you've taken over the island, its actually suprisingly difficult before that, first ten turns or so.

Oda has a hard start, but if you survive the first two turns, its actually quite easy, your lands are fairly rich, and your close to Kyoto.

Hardest overall, maybe Uesegi, or Takeda, poor starting area's, surrounded by expansionist clans, no access to sea if your Takeda either. For a challenge, try turtling with the Date also, let some of the midland clans build up, then try to expand.

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Easiest: Shimazu and Date. Everyone seems to pick them on first playthrough because of their start positions and bonuses to sword infantry.

Hardest: Don't know yet. Someone in the middle, definitely.

Oda and Tokugawa are the most frequent candidates for most difficult... which is funny because it was these two that 'won' in real life

i had my toughest campaign so far with the tokugawa. it was pretty annoying, because when i fought the oda at my borders, the saito came and took the oda settlement. saito were allied to imagawa so i couldnt attack them until i decided to attack imagawa in turn 5 lol

shimazu is pretty easy but one of my favorite

chosokabe very easy too and they have great archers

Easiest is probably Date, Uesegi, or Oda. Hardest is probably shimazu or takeda.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolaos View Post
    i had my toughest campaign so far with the tokugawa. it was pretty annoying, because when i fought the oda at my borders, the saito came and took the oda settlement. saito were allied to imagawa so i couldnt attack them until i decided to attack imagawa in turn 5 lol

shimazu is pretty easy but one of my favorite

chosokabe very easy too and they have great archers
    Check out the Tokugawa campaign guide, there are some great tips for your starting moves to prevent this and have a great time playing the Tokugawa, they truly are a awesome faction

I agree with the consensus, but what do people think of the Mori start? I have yet to see them last to mid-game while playing as other clans and they often get taken out in the first half dozen turns.

my easiest clan so far was date, they have so many options. you can expand your naval trade, focus on conquest, or develop your capital with no fear. their only challenge is they have the longest road to kyoto.

on the other hand, i have had the hardest time with uesugi. i'd imagine takeda is in a similar perdicament. i have tried oda and it was not nearly as challenging as uesugi.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast