Page 8 of 221 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback

Just found this place, so hello!

Question: I find myself at a stump here. I am currently writng down ideas for my 2nd chapter for "A Rogue Knight's Tale", and I am at a crossroads. Should I take more of an emotional appeal to the chapter or more of an action appeal to it? I feel like I already expressed some emotion in my first chapter, and compared to the other stories I read here (I have a long way to go), would you want to see more action like a thrilling battle across the crowded streets of a city?

Radzeer and I are thinking of hosting a AAR writing course as part of the TW University. Click through if you're interested..and all that.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Can't allow Shank to get sad, can we... .

Great news from the WS, could I suggest maybe putting in some new parts in it? To spice things up, you know.

And I would totally be interested in joining an AAR writing course!

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

No we cannot!

Yeah that seems to be a 'thing', including more in it. I'll bring it up and see what can be done.

Also, thanks for being the first to reply on the Chat Thread.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

A comment, a comment, my scribes quill for a chat thread comment!

So what would an AAR writing course include? Will you be getting "guest lecturers" - ie some of the top notch AARtistes we currently have? I may be interested but it really is a time issue - only so many hours in the day.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I would certainly be interested in any tips in for writing a half decent AAR.

Although I have written quite a bit in the creative writing sections, I've yet to have the confidence to start an AAR, it also doesn't help that I don't have much time to actually play TW anymore!

Anyway Kudos for SB for trying to stir up interest in all the creative writing scene

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    Although I have written quite a bit in the creative writing sections, I've yet to have the confidence to start an AAR, it also doesn't help that I don't have much time to actually play TW anymore!
    I'm exactly the opposite having a AAR but nothing in creative writing section. I really want to start doing more writing in this area so we'll see what happens.
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    A comment, a comment, my scribes quill for a chat thread comment!

So what would an AAR writing course include? Will you be getting "guest lecturers" - ie some of the top notch AARtistes we currently have? I may be interested but it really is a time issue - only so many hours in the day.
    I'm not sure on what's happening, this course is all new to me as well. robinzx has posted this in the thread though:
    Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Thanks for the interest guys

We have a rough course outline and will be posting that in a couple days. Broadly speaking it will be 2/3 writing oriented and 1/3 targeted towards composing/editing pics and other technical aspects. We are already considering the concept of having guest professors at certain points or to provide certain material - will announce when we have something that's worthy of seeing the light of day.

HoA - students will be required to write one chapter (or was it two, I forget) of a moderate length. We'll probably be quite liberal on the subject of the pictures though - I know what you're worried about.

NOTE TO ALL: for those of you who've expressed tentative interest - we can likely only take on about 10-15 students in all so that everyone gets decent attention and help without the course dragging on forever. We'll probably draw up a list at some point so people can commit to joining etc. Writing up all the materials will take a while so there's plenty of time before you have to decide.
    Rex you should give an AAR ago, with loads of CW practice your story telling will be excellent. And thansk for the kudos. Scottish King, you too should defiantly start a CW piece, we're a closer community - but way better. (even though I too haven't written one... ) The more the merrier.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; June 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

So... now I've got you here it is time for some chatting.

So what do you guys plan to write for this weeks TotW, and if you aren't writing.... get to it solider!

Or a none writing related question, more off-topic ramblings... do any of you guys own a magic eight ball?

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

I own a rubiks cube - I got it from Amazon recently. I still can't solve it, I couldn't when it came out originally and I still can't. I can get one side plus 2 rows down from that on the adjoining 4 sides. But that's it. Does that help at all?

No idea yet, actually that's not entirely true, I have an inkling - I normally think about it when I'm walking the dogs in the evening

Rubik's cube is great. That guy was one of our national heroes when I was young. Besides the cube he made several other gadgets too.
    Needless to say I could never solve that.

I was busy writing a game review, so I haven't started on the TotW. I've thought about starting some sort of story or AAR sometime in the future, though my last AAR didn't end up so well (lost the save file I think ).

I've got a Rubik's Cube laying around somewhere in my house.

Content Emeritus

Who knew something so simple as a rubik's cube could be so fun...and difficult to solve. SB got me to thinking about what I would write for the creative writing section so I've been working on that. Got a few ideas for the TOTW but I have yet to finalize anything.

Rex Anglorvm's Avatar Wrinkly Wordsmith

I've submitted my story for this week's TotW, I tend to have an instant idea that I run with, quickly draft something, have a quick sense check and then post.

That's probably why my writing looks a little rough round the edges at times

I had a hexagon, snake and regular rubik's cube when I was young, that dates me I know

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ybbon66 View Post
    I own a rubiks cube - I got it from Amazon recently. I still can't solve it, I couldn't when it came out originally and I still can't. I can get one side plus 2 rows down from that on the adjoining 4 sides. But that's it. Does that help at all?

No idea yet, actually that's not entirely true, I have an inkling - I normally think about it when I'm walking the dogs in the evening
    That is a lot better then me, although I remember one Christmas when I was little I couldn't sleep as I was too excited - so I ended up spending the whole night picking of the stickers and changing them all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Rubik's cube is great. That guy was one of our national heroes when I was young. Besides the cube he made several other gadgets too.
    Needless to say I could never solve that.
    Hehe... have you seen the film "In the Pursuit of Happiness"?

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate Jeb View Post
    I was busy writing a game review, so I haven't started on the TotW. I've thought about starting some sort of story or AAR sometime in the future, though my last AAR didn't end up so well (lost the save file I think ).

I've got a Rubik's Cube laying around somewhere in my house.
    What game are you reviewing? If you're not to high on writing an AAR, doing some CW is always and option?

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Who knew something so simple as a rubik's cube could be so fun...and difficult to solve. SB got me to thinking about what I would write for the creative writing section so I've been working on that. Got a few ideas for the TOTW but I have yet to finalize anything.
    I'll look forward to your TotW entry, what are your few ideas? Also, give me a shout when you've started your CW piece, I'll look forward to reading it. Do you think you'll keep the Moorish stlye up, or will you write about something different?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Anglorvm View Post
    I've submitted my story for this week's TotW, I tend to have an instant idea that I run with, quickly draft something, have a quick sense check and then post.

That's probably why my writing looks a little rough round the edges at times

I had a hexagon, snake and regular rubik's cube when I was young, that dates me I know
    How many rubik cubes are there? If you need any 'guidance' with your TotW let me know, I'd love to help out...

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon View Post
    can non tw AAR's be considered when submitting possible AARs?
    For the MAARC? Of course, I'd personally love to see some Non TW AARs winning. I'll look forward to your entry.

So those of you who got the newsletter PM, anything you'd like to see added to it? Please share any thoughts you have - I want to encourage Blue Skies Thinking. Of course if you didn't get it as a PM, let me know and I'd love to send you it.

EDIT: All of you add a link to the Creative Writing forum in your sig. That is an order!
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; June 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

What game are you reviewing? If you're not to high on writing an AAR, doing some CW is always and option?
    At the time it was Brink. I've written four game reviews for TWC so far, and I've got a list of others nobody has covered yet to get through. I try to make sure I've beaten the game before writing them though.

As far as CW goes, can it be just anything, like a continuous story or just one off random bits of writing?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Anything you like. That is the beauty of it.

And I'll have to read through some of your reviews.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon View Post
    can non tw AAR's be considered when submitting possible AARs?
    Id like to see the Orc in Skyrim AAR win! Been trying place in a MAARC for while speaking of which this month's entries are exceptional!

Edit: Well SB for the TOTW I was thinking of writing another entry set in the world of the last TOTW entry I wrote. I would also like to know what happened to my "fabled ponies" :p For the Cw I thinking more a lot the lines of sci-fi war drama but I still thinking about that.
    Last edited by Scottish King; June 27, 2012 at 01:46 PM.

I am really struggling with fighting out my battles successfully while taking great screenshots at the sametime. I've tried using fraps to help me record some of the battles but that doesn't really seem to be working and often just slows my game down. What does everyone do when taking screenshots? Share some tips of the trade!
    "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution."
    - Emma Goldman

AARS:

In Progress:
    1 - The Guns of Hochland (Call of Warhammer Medieval II Modification)
    2 - No Emperors, No Shoguns (Shogun II)