Page 7 of 221 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257107 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Do you guys think that we should start running BAARC again? Is there enough popular support (that is writers who would submit stuff) for this?
    I'd quite like to see it continue, although I would prefer it if there wasn't a 12 picture limit - that would be the only thing to hold me back, because then screens would have to be removed which may affect the quality of the battle

For example:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Rules

1. The winner cannot compete in the next BAARC.
    2. Only one submission per person.
    3. The competition is open for a month, followed by a one week, multi-poll vote.
    4. If there are less than 7 submissions, the competition is extended for another month. At the end of the second month the vote will be held, except if there are 3 or fewer submissions - in this case they roll over to the next BAARC.
    5. Battles have to be submitted as single posts. Submissions should be at least 1,000 words and a minimum of 6 but maximum 12 pictures(the pictures do not have to be from the game).
    6. If you would like to submit somebody else's work, please ask for the author's approval first!
    7. The first place earns 3 points, the second place earns 2 points and the third place earns 1 point. These points are counted toward the MAARC scoreboard.

I personally think that would be better, unless there was an important reason for a maximum of 12 pictures

All in all I hope it continues It's defiantly got my support
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

The number of pictures has been an issue, and I think staff is open to a discussion on that. The rationale was to prevent submissions with little text compared to the number pictures.
    Let's see what others think.

Tim1988's Avatar Vicarius

I'd prefer the picture limit removed as well (or atleast raised). That way I could submit battles from my existing AARs, most of which have more than 12 images. You'd definitly get more participation if this was the case (infact, if it has gone a couple of months without enough entries to go to vote, you could actually ask AAR writers to submit one of their battles to take it to vote, as it wouldn't require too much extra effort on their part).
    My Old AARs:
    Uniting a Kingdom - A M2TW:Kingdoms Britannia Campaign
    The Greatest Battles of General Sir Lionel Townshend - A DarthMod Empire Campaign
    Tales of an Old Soldier - A series of DMUC Battles
    My Image Gallery:

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1988 View Post
    I'd prefer the picture limit removed as well (or atleast raised). That way I could submit battles from my existing AARs, most of which have more than 12 images. You'd definitly get more participation if this was the case (infact, if it has gone a couple of months without enough entries to go to vote, you could actually ask AAR writers to submit one of their battles to take it to vote, as it wouldn't require too much extra effort on their part).
    That's what I was trying to say You just said it a whole lot better

I wouldn't be opposed to raising the limit to say, 15 pics. Alternatively perhaps there could be a limit based on the number of words? One picture per hundred words, for example? The spirit of this is mainly to avoid entries becoming comic books.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Citizen

Blog Entries

Fair point Although I think the word:picture ratio would be hard to instigated as writers, and hard to regulate as judges

The hall of fame and scoreboards have been updated. If anyone thinks there are mistakes please let the staff know.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Check out this thread about MAARC prefixes.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Going back to the BAARC, although this won't get more people compete in it, maybe lower the submissions number to 5?

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

I have a question regarding the BAARC.
    So, I play plenty of single player battles in NTW and ETW, however when I start a battle for example using Great Britain against Russia, I don't play it with the intention that it is Great Britain fighting Russia, but instead I pretend that the two combatants are made up countries from a world of my creation. So my question is how would I do this for the BAARC? Should I say the actual TW factions fighting the battle and in parentheses put the fictional faction?
    For example
    Factions: Great Britain (Gondor) France (Mordor)
    Would that be the best way?

Citizen

Blog Entries

I think putting which faction it is ,in terms of context, (e.g. in this case Gondor or Mordor) first and then putting the actual faction in brackets

Although I'm not 100% sure in this case

Quote Originally Posted by ΩDerpy HoovesΩ View Post
    I have a question regarding the BAARC.
    So, I play plenty of single player battles in NTW and ETW, however when I start a battle for example using Great Britain against Russia, I don't play it with the intention that it is Great Britain fighting Russia, but instead I pretend that the two combatants are made up countries from a world of my creation. So my question is how would I do this for the BAARC? Should I say the actual TW factions fighting the battle and in parentheses put the fictional faction?
    For example
    Factions: Great Britain (Gondor) France (Mordor)
    Would that be the best way?
    Either this or what Shankbot said should be fine. We'll start a BAARC discussion thread soon.

If I may, about the number of pictures in an AAR. Personally, I think AARs that focus more on storytelling, than those that have pictures with some text underneath where it tells what happened. No offense toward those who either like, or has written this type of AARs.

Nice to be back to these parts of the forums again.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Citizen

Blog Entries

Those readers who read the weekly newsletter will understand what I'm about to post.

Apparently I write like Kurt Vonnegut.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

I have an inkling of an idea for a creative writing piece, not an AAR but fiction. ToTW 139 started me thinking on this, so I have an idea and need to flesh it out a bit, but what I'd like to do is use a kind of dark, hard-bitten kind of humour - mix some Raymond Chandler and James Elroy hard-bitten, world weary characters with maybe some Douglas Adams dark humour. And that is where I wonder, anyone any advice on writing humour in? I know that if I try to inject humour it will probably fall flat, but can it be done? I just have visions of the guy in Good Morning Vietnam who "studies humour" - it doesn't work like that. Anyone any ideas?

Writing comedy is probably much more difficult than writing general stuff... Not sure if there is a silver bullet for this. I guess it depends on what you want to trigger the comedy effect. If it's more mainstream than the characters tend to carry the joke. If it is more absurd, it is the situations. But even this is not a general rule.
    I wrote comedy a while back, and since it was kind of a social satire, most characters were everyday folks but got into various absurd situations.
    In "Good Morning Vietnam" the characters carried the comedy part. For Douglas Adams it is both. So it could be done in various ways.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Narthex - Introductions and Discussion

I am loving the surge of 'epic' fantasies you guys have all started writing. Good luck all of you, and I'll look forward to reading more of them.

Marvzilla's Avatar Senator

Hey guys,want to know what you think of this.

Most of you (me included) let emotions and influences of our live flow into our AARs.
    But I change my AAR actively on small tones,such as the battle.Before I was very
    keen on realistic Battles,with no over-the-top moves.Now I have changed slightly in
    that regard.

Some of you follow my AAR,and may have seen this change too.The battles my characters
    have a very action-packed,sometimes I get the feeling it is too much.

I am writing in this style because I have recently discovered the Series "Spartactus"
    and like it very much.I know that the style of battles they are showing is very
    over the top like.My AAR isn´t quite like that,but goes more in that direction.

For example:In one of my recent chapters my main character has emerged victorious
    against multiple opponents,and used quite the attacks.Included are flying knees,
    sweeps and very agile moves.While this is very martial,it has some kind of realism
    still.But if you look at a AAR from,lets say,Radzeer.His characters are,especially in
    the beginning,very vulnerable and have many flaws and do many mistakes.
    This kind of close up battle description is more realistic and might make the character
    more appealing.

So my question is:

Should I still use this style.Maybe it makes some peoples eyes roll and they
    are not as interested as they would be in a more vulnerable,learning character.

No my characters won´t be immortal beasts.They will do mistakes too and learn.
    But I just saw this particular chapter of my AAR again and noticed that my main
    character made quite the change from green newb to dangerous rookie.Maybe
    this was a tad too much ?´´

Discuss.

Citizen

Blog Entries

"You should always write for yourself, and your enjoyment. The readers come second."

Taking that into account, if you enjoy writing slightly over-the-top battles then you should write over the top battles. If you don't, well then don't. Some readers may not like it, if that's the case they'll either say something, or just go. However, there will always be people that like your style so if you feel like a change you may lose some readers, but you will defiantly gain some. Write for yourself, as long as you enjoy it, as that is the main thing.

Indefinitely Banned

Default Re: The Narthex - Introductions and Discussion

Hello all,

I have just recently wrote up my first chapter to my project based on my fictional world of Ostborn. My favorite time period was the High/Late Middle Ages, just so fascinated with medieval customs and art. Hopefully I can live up to all of the great authors I see here, who have much more experience than I have. Thank you all for such a great place in TWC to express myself through writing.