Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

An Emperor has been crowned! Come join in the celebrations of this wondrous occasion. The way to the festivities is via this portal.

See you there!

Bring a smile to a writer, comment on AARs/CWs

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Well said, Turk! The winning entry of Tale of the Week 295 is worth a look (by the author of For King and Country, a brilliant Empire Total War AAR which inspired me to start writing AARs) - and yes, it would be great to see more comments on AAR and Creative Writing. (I wonder what kind of comments writers find most useful).

Meanwhile, I'm noticing how story-telling is being used in the current crisis. When there was a temporary phase of panic-buying in UK supermarkets a few weeks ago, a story started circulating on social media. A child saw a grey-haired person with an empty shopping basket, looking sadly at an empty shelf. The child said something like 'here, take the bread from my basket, you need it more'.

By calling it a 'story', I'm not saying that this never happened (I imagine it did, somewhere). I'm simply wondering if this story was widely shared because it was what people wanted to happen. Similarly, a brilliant xkcd cartoon tells a story which is (I imagine) what Randall Monroe wanted to happen.

- By Randall Monroe, from xkcd

I wonder if anyone has seen stories being used as a way in response to the pandemic, for example to say what people would like to happen or to express hope in this catastrophic situation.

Happy Easter and Happy Passover, to those who are celebrating.
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 12, 2020 at 04:51 AM.

Content Emeritus

I have seen a couple, though I hadn't seen that one before. (oh no, not the pasta ) Here in Belgium we have a strong cartoonist tradition, mostly they are an indictment on how issues are being handled, whether it is by the government, corporations or just the people (irony is usually a large part of those cartoons). There are also just funny ones (without any political background) like this one:

for context: Tournée minérale is an initiative, in Belgium (don't know if it exists in other countries) by the Foundation against Cancer, to not drink alcohol for the entire month of February.

This cartoon really speaks to me :

Translation is: "Coronamadness: No shaking hands!" and the guy says: "a fist (bump) is alright" (vuistje literally translates into little fist, but in dutch it really means a fist bump)
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; April 12, 2020 at 03:52 PM. Reason: literally

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Woah, Turk, imagine my surprise when I see my mother tongue get posted on here by you.. I had not expected this.

Content Emeritus

I reckon it must've been very surprising to see this. As some already knew, my mother tongue is Dutch (I'm from one of the surrounding towns (gemeente) near the city of Antwerp but not from the city itself nor are we a district of the city; a fact of which I'm very proud of). I do speak a bit of French (had like 8 years of studying it, so it would be shameful if nothing sticked eh ) but that's mostly how to order drinks and food, arguably the most important thing you can do in a language.
    Last edited by Turkafinwë; April 14, 2020 at 04:27 AM. Reason: .

Content Emeritus

Fellow esteemed members of the Writers' Study,

A quick reminder that we still have open nominations for MAARC LXXXVI and MCWC XX

Who is brave enough to challenge me in the MAARC? I see a lot of worthy AARs that can join me. Meanwhile will someone accompany Kilo in the MCWC, I believe he's getting lonely there. If you think of any writing that is worthy, and eligible, please nominate them (after gaining their permission, of course )

Show me your battle-spirit WS!

Last edited by Turkafinwë; April 17, 2020 at 08:59 AM. Reason: i, thanks Kilo11

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Fellow esteemed members of the Writers' Study,

A quick reminder that we still have open nominations for MAARC LXXXVI and MCWC XX

Who is brave enough to challenge me in the MAARC? I see a lot of worthy AARs that can join me. If you think of any writing that is worthy, and eligable, please nominate them (after gaining their permission, of course )
    I am refraining from nominating myself for the MAARCs anymore unless my entry can round out the 3 (or 6) needed to get going, but you always have my permission to nominate mine, if you wish it to be there That being said, I might not be eligible this time around, as I think I might have won the last one. You'd have to check that though. At any rate, I give a blanket permission for my works to be nominated. Just let me know when you do, so I can be ready for it!

Meanwhile will someone accompany Kilo in the MCWC, I believe he's getting lonely there. If you think of any writing that is worthy, and eligable, please nominate them (after gaining their permission, of course )

Show me your battle-spirit WS!

Yes indeed! I am so very lonely. Or just give me the gold and start MCWC XXI. Just please let me leave that lonely thread
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Content Emeritus

You are eligible Kilo11, so if you want you can (Cookie won MAARC LXXXV, you won MAARC LXXXIV). Anyway I understand why you would refrain from nominating yourself (seeing you have your gold WS medal and perhaps want to give other people a chance of winning theirs). Written in Sand is a very good AAR, worthy of every kind of recognition. So if you want, you can. (Quick Kilo isn't joining, now's our chance )

To all the other writers out there, I would say just join. Everything I've seen posted in the WS is worthy to participate, whether your writing is small or huge. Heck, I've joined countless times and never won a MAARC (second place is the highest I've got). It's a great way to gain new readers and just spread your passion. It's always worthwhile I find.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11
    Yes indeed! I am so very lonely. Or just give me the gold and start MCWC XXI. Just please let me leave that lonely thread
    Help out our good friend Kilo in these trying times.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Alas, I have not updated my stuff to be able to participate, but I will endeavor to do so soon. Good timing too since my exams have just ended, there are many AARs to catch up on. What, Warhammer 2 has a free weekend on steam? Err...yes...soon...

Heck, I've joined countless times and never won a MAARC
    This cannot be! To war!!!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    Alas, I have not updated my stuff to be able to participate, but I will endeavor to do so soon. Good timing too since my exams have just ended, there are many AARs to catch up on. What, Warhammer 2 has a free weekend on steam? Err...yes...soon...
    This cannot be! To war!!!
    And thus it was prophesied that when times are dark, a mighty warrior would return to the Halls of Writing. Lo and behold, there he marches! Great to see you back Swaeft! Looking forward to see you re-enter the AAR-game.

Content Emeritus

Minstrels, poets and bards alike, lend me your ears for I have great news for thee.

A new Occasional Competition, the third some say, has appeared in the bowels of the WS Competition thread, full of wonders and possibilities. The King and Queen of the WS await to learn of your magnificent talents in versing or to be enchanted by your soul-moving poems. Therefore you are all invited to compete in this, once-in-a-lifetime event. Good luck to ye all and may the best one win glory eternal!

~ the Jester of the WS

Link to the Third Occasional Competition Submissions Thread

What Turk said!

Also, congratulations to Turk who becomes Deputy Director of the Writers' Study and Critic's Quill!

Thanks to Caillagh for your service as Deputy Director since 2017; Caillagh remains a member of WS & CQ Staff. (A full Staff List is available; if you are interested in joining staff, I recommend keeping an eye on the Content Jobs Noticeboard or the Content Commentary Thread.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 25, 2020 at 01:20 AM.

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    What Turk said!

Also, congratulations to Turk who becomes Deputy Director of the Writers' Study and Critic's Quill!

Thanks to Caillagh for your service as Deputy Director since 2017; Caillagh remains a member of WS & CQ Staff. (A full Staff List is available; if you are interested in joining staff, I recommend keeping an eye on the Content Jobs Noticeboard or the Content Commentary Thread.)
    Turk? Deputy Director? Who will defend Minas Tirith then?

In all seriousness congrats Turk And I'm also glad to hear Caillagh is still in WS Staff!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Congratulations, Turk!

(And thank you, Swaeft. I wouldn't want to leave the WS - this place is where I started out on TWC. So even when one day I resign from staff completely, I imagine I'll still turn up here. )

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Hello all,

I am struggling in my novel so much - as it's plot is about the villian conquering the world (like Akenhaten telling everyone to worship him) and the hero of my story that has to defeat him. In the first two books, the villian gets smashed, but at the end of the third book, he gets redemption.

I have been wondering whether I should give it a Star Wars type of vibe where the villian has the world under his rule, and the hero narrates his story. But it would be too similar.

What do you think?

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

But it would be too similar.
    Why do you think that would be too similar? I personally don't find Star War's narrative structure to be what makes Star Wars what it is. Aside from the beginning info dump that Star Wars does I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the actual composition of the story. It's not like we're talking about a movie or story where the entire gimmick relies in the unreliability of the hero's narration like Fight Club or Memento. What you've outlined doesn't sound dissimilar to the typical heroes journey. If you're referring to the whole "villain gets redeemed" narrative, that's not really inherently "Star Wars" either. And honestly, ultimately isn't even what Star Wars is about in the first place.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Well our opinion is worth very little, as we don't have your creative vision. But my first instinct would be that the villain should not get smashed in the first part, or at least not suffer too significant a defeat, and the latter only, if you'd make the first part work on its own, as well as as a part of a trilogy. Simply because being too ambitious can be harmful. This btw. would actually be the Star Wars way to do it. The first part worked well on its own, the aura of the villain remained intact, only then it became sure they would make it a trilogy, so in the second one it's the hero getting smashed, and only in the last part would the hero actually triumph. If he triumphs early on, there isn't that much of a threat to work against, and your main character can only be as heroic as the adversities call for. If you want to, you can still give the antagonist the redemption evene as the good triumphs, though, as you correctly point out, it's cliché.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

A villain can viably be smashed early if it is handled right. What you describe has dubious similarities to Star Wars at best. I'd be interested in more context for what you're thinking of between the 'lose, lose, redemption' arc and the two odd statements of him 'conquering the world' vs 'has the world under his rule'. The world and setting themselves can inform a good way to approach the subject, if you have background for such in mind. Certain devices can make the above work at its most literal - you can indeed have a villain still achieving his goals while taking a substantial loss from the protagonist each entry. But it would be tricky and it would require more thoughts on how exactly you would try to do it. A lot of things that sound odd at a glance are quite viable, so long as they're thought through. But that would take more information to determine.

The Wandering Storyteller's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Why do you think that would be too similar? I personally don't find Star War's narrative structure to be what makes Star Wars what it is. Aside from the beginning info dump that Star Wars does I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the actual composition of the story. It's not like we're talking about a movie or story where the entire gimmick relies in the unreliability of the hero's narration like Fight Club or Memento. What you've outlined doesn't sound dissimilar to the typical heroes journey. If you're referring to the whole "villain gets redeemed" narrative, that's not really inherently "Star Wars" either. And honestly, ultimately isn't even what Star Wars is about in the first place.
    When I mean Star Wars - I am not an indepth lore expert - but it is similar to what the Nazi's rule was. You live in this empire that has taken over the world, and you can't say against it because the regime itself is bad. I can see where the historical influences are - but I am thinking what if the villian conquers the world and then the hero has to save it. Would that work?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Well our opinion is worth very little, as we don't have your creative vision. But my first instinct would be that the villain should not get smashed in the first part, or at least not suffer too significant a defeat, and the latter only, if you'd make the first part work on its own, as well as as a part of a trilogy. Simply because being too ambitious can be harmful. This btw. would actually be the Star Wars way to do it. The first part worked well on its own, the aura of the villain remained intact, only then it became sure they would make it a trilogy, so in the second one it's the hero getting smashed, and only in the last part would the hero actually triumph. If he triumphs early on, there isn't that much of a threat to work against, and your main character can only be as heroic as the adversities call for. If you want to, you can still give the antagonist the redemption evene as the good triumphs, though, as you correctly point out, it's cliché.
    The villian pretty much is meant to be smashed but not at a level where he can't come back and try again. He's more off: Worship me or die. He wants to destroy the afterlife of many realms - in the end all of his sacrifice for everyone to worship him just makes him realise on what a futile quest he's been. It would be like Ivar's ARC in Vikings, learning from his mistakes when he falls in love.

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    A villain can viably be smashed early if it is handled right. What you describe has dubious similarities to Star Wars at best. I'd be interested in more context for what you're thinking of between the 'lose, lose, redemption' arc and the two odd statements of him 'conquering the world' vs 'has the world under his rule'. The world and setting themselves can inform a good way to approach the subject, if you have background for such in mind. Certain devices can make the above work at its most literal - you can indeed have a villain still achieving his goals while taking a substantial loss from the protagonist each entry. But it would be tricky and it would require more thoughts on how exactly you would try to do it. A lot of things that sound odd at a glance are quite viable, so long as they're thought through. But that would take more information to determine.
    Ok here's more details about the plot:
    Heroes: Vajendra
    Villian: Nahakasha

In basic terms, he's a character that will be forgiven at the end of this triology. He's a guy that wipes out pretty much of the universe of the Gods, and he imprisons the Gods and weakens then. He's like Akenhaten which you'll know about. In Book 1 Vajendra defeats him and puts him in a cave. So for ten thousand years his soul is frozen. The cost is so enormous for Vajendra that he goes into sleep mode for about 10,000 years.

Now 10,000 years into book 2, he can't remember Nahakasha. That's when Nahakasha's great descendant recruits him to bring him back alive. Vajendra does that and Nahakasha first seeks to destory the heavens. Vajendra goes into the afterlife, and they defeat him - but he goes to the earth. At this point, Vajendra is bored. He wants fun and adventures and so goes on quests etc. Nahakasha comes and joins him - there's a fight between these two (not in epic scale battles) but more individually. These two are in service of great empires fighting each other - and then Nahakasha is defeated.

In book 3, Nahakasha wants his wife back who's left him. Nahakasha promises not to attack or conquer the world. This is more about Vajendra trying to find his wife. And then, scholars, magicians, wizards hearing of this tale try to hunt them down. So Vajendra who was the hero at some point becomes hunted down. A lot of stuff there.

Recently, I started playing Total War: Attila for the first time, I've been enjoying trying to survive as a migrating tribe, caught in between the Huns from the east, the declining fertility of the land and the fading might of the Western Roman Empire. I'm wondering if anyone else is playing any new games which they might write AARs for in future.

For example, I'd be interested to read a Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord AAR (if anyone is considering buying the game, I recommend King Athelstan's review) - and I noticed that Epic Games are offering Civilization VI free to download until May 28 (I believe we're allowed to keep it, not just to play it until the 28th).