Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Hey folks, I just wanted to say that if anyone hasn't yet put out nominations for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards, then be sure to very soon, as the thread is supposed to be closing the end of this month. And if any of you out there are frequenters of other areas of the TWC, then be sure to spread the word far and wide (looking at you Swaeft and Cookiegod, as I know you two at least are active in the graphics workshop and other creative areas)! Let's get more folks excited about the writing community, put on some excellent yearly awards, and start the new decade in style
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Excellent to see some new blood on the forum, it's about time.

So, now that the nominations period has closed and we are into November, I would like to bring to everyone's attention something cool that Skotos shared with me in a pm a couple weeks back.

Apparently November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short), and people are encouraged to pick up their pens or boot up their computers and sit down to write the book they've always wanted to. There is a webiste (NaNoWriMo site) with info about the event, and even some helpful tips and guides to aid you on your way. The general idea of the project is to write a book, or if your book is really long, then write around 50,000 words, but the more basic goal is really just to set more time aside for writing. So I encourage everyone to grab a cup of tea, get yourself a cozy spot, and start writing!

If it is not thread-jacking (if it is, please let me know), I think it would also be nice if people participating said really quickly here what their goals are and how they are progressing. I myself am knee-deep in Written in Sand and would feel bad starting something new, so my goal will be to make a huge push on that. I won't aim for the full 50,000 word goal, as that is a bit more than I think I can handle right now, but I aim to write around 30,000 words over the coming month. How about all of you? Are you gonna sit down and write with me? And if so, what are your goals?
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

I had success in Nano back in 2015 (crazy to think that's four years ago now...) after failing a few times before, but I've missed it every year since. I toyed with the idea of doing it again this year, but I have other things I should be working on, and I don't really have a story I'm too motivated to write at the moment. Best of luck to you though! It's a great experience if you've never done it before.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    So, now that the nominations period has closed and we are into November, I would like to bring to everyone's attention something cool that Skotos shared with me in a pm a couple weeks back.

Apparently November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for short), and people are encouraged to pick up their pens or boot up their computers and sit down to write the book they've always wanted to. There is a webiste (NaNoWriMo site) with info about the event, and even some helpful tips and guides to aid you on your way. The general idea of the project is to write a book, or if your book is really long, then write around 50,000 words, but the more basic goal is really just to set more time aside for writing. So I encourage everyone to grab a cup of tea, get yourself a cozy spot, and start writing!

If it is not thread-jacking (if it is, please let me know), I think it would also be nice if people participating said really quickly here what their goals are and how they are progressing. I myself am knee-deep in Written in Sand and would feel bad starting something new, so my goal will be to make a huge push on that. I won't aim for the full 50,000 word goal, as that is a bit more than I think I can handle right now, but I aim to write around 30,000 words over the coming month. How about all of you? Are you gonna sit down and write with me? And if so, what are your goals?

I wish I had the motivation for it. It's a really nice initiative though. Gonna read a bit more on it later today. Thanks for sharing!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo11 View Post
    It's fine to comment here.

(If it turns into a full-blown conversation of its own, we can always split the relevant posts off into a new thread. )

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

You are correct Kilo11, the Age of Nomination is over, the Time of the Vote has come!

Yes you heard correctly the voting threads for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards are here. For two weeks you will be able to vote for the AARs, CWs and Best Newcomer that you all nominated! So get ye to the voting threads for AARoty, CWoty and Best Newcomer and cast thy ballot for the betterment of all the WS! Every vote counts!

I Want You

To VOTE!

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

@Kilo11 sadly I don't have much free time recently, so writing is on hold for a month or more at least, but I pray the December holidays come soon!

@Turkafinwe yes, time to partyyyy!!!

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I've never managed to do a full NaNoWriMo, though I have a few friends who have. It's a great idea, and definitely worth doing if you can.

My current writing goal is mainly focusing on the Creative Writing Course I'm doing at college, though I'm also hoping to get some more chapters of Toutatis done and hopefully finish the Tier 1 Rome 2 Culture Pages for the Wiki by the end of the year. But I'm also dealing with a health flare up at the moment, so we shall see. I take each day as it comes. :-)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    You are correct Kilo11, the Age of Nomination is over, the Time of the Vote has come!

Yes you heard correctly the voting threads for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards are here. For two weeks you will be able to vote for the AARs, CWs and Best Newcomer that you all nominated! So get ye to the voting threads for AARoty, CWoty and Best Newcomer and cast thy ballot for the betterment of all the WS! Every vote counts!

I Want You

To VOTE!
    Well said! Thank you to everyone who has voted. Voting closes today, so if you haven't voted yet, this is your final chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post
    I've never managed to do a full NaNoWriMo, though I have a few friends who have. It's a great idea, and definitely worth doing if you can.

My current writing goal is mainly focusing on the Creative Writing Course I'm doing at college, though I'm also hoping to get some more chapters of Toutatis done and hopefully finish the Tier 1 Rome 2 Culture Pages for the Wiki by the end of the year. But I'm also dealing with a health flare up at the moment, so we shall see. I take each day as it comes. :-)

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    I wonder if there are things you've learned from your Creative Writing Course which you've found helpful in writing Toutatis Favours the Brave. I learned something about Rome II which I didn't know before from the Rome II Cultural Group pages on the Wiki and look forward to the new Culture pages, health permitting (I hope you'll feel better soon.)

Content Emeritus

That's it folks, the votes are in! A well-earned thanks to those who casted their vote in the 2018-2018 Yearly Awards!

Now the counting can begin for which we have our much beloved imps. Once they have determined the final results we can begin with any eventual tie-breaks and the preparation of the Awards Ceremony! Our very well trained imps should be done counting within the next two or three days. I can hear their enthusiastic chittering already. Perhaps I'll have a look down there before they hurt someone in their joy. See you all again soon!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Dragon View Post

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.
    Ah, NaNoWriMo! I haven't heard that acronym in a long time. Did anyone manage to do it here? I tried doing it and I got close but it was exhausting.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Content Emeritus

Residents of the Writers' Study,

After much deliberation and consultation with the imps we present the first tie-break for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019!

Speed yourself to the voting thread and determine whose tales take second and third place for Creative Writing of the Year 2018-2019. You have only one week to vote for this one so don't be late.

we present the first tie-break for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019!
    Voted! Am I a nice guy or what???

Swaeft's Avatar Drama King
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Ah, NaNoWriMo! I haven't heard that acronym in a long time. Did anyone manage to do it here? I tried doing it and I got close but it was exhausting.
    What exactly is that?

Residents of the Writers' Study,

After much deliberation and consultation with the imps we present the first tie-break for the Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019!
    The first? There's more? Hang on, gotta resupply my popcorn!

Quote Originally Posted by JB2C View Post
    Voted! Am I a nice guy or what???
    Only if you voted for me...just kidding

Swaeft's Scribblings (Library)| Swaeft's Snaps (Gallery)| My Blog (The Lensation)

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Hey Leander,

I'm doing it now, but with my own (much lower) goal. However, I'm not even managing that so far, and am probably about 6,000 words short of what I would have wanted to have done by this point. That being said, I am enjoying the push, and I am getting far more done than I otherwise would have, which I guess is the whole point of the thing anyway. So I am counting it as a qualified success

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    What exactly is that?
    Swaeft, it stands for "National Novel Writing Month", and there is more info about it in my post above. The main idea is that in November you set yourself a hard goal for writing, and do your best to reach it. My goal was 30,000 words, and I now have roughly 10,000. So I'll get 2/3 of what I planned to, I think, which is not the best, but it still means I'll have written 20,000 words in a month, which is pretty darn good!
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

I signed up on like november second. Couldn't find where I needed to write so I havent done anything lol.

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I signed up on like november second. Couldn't find where I needed to write so I havent done anything lol.
    I didn't realize there was actually anywhere to "sign up" at all. I thought it was just about setting yourself goals and taking the time to write. But I guess between the two of us we've done it right: you signed up, I wrote
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources

Blog Entries

I see this as an absolute win Kilo

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

I'm currently working on a short story, it's set to happen at the beginning of December, some random dude representing the organisation you signed up on is gonna slam open your door and shout: "Where's my 50000-word book, Brewster?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM