Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mad orc View Post
    I wonder what is the critics quill(I mean i know what it is) .But it seems that non citizens are not encouraged to join in?

[Post moved from Tale of the Week commentary thread, because this is not commentary on Tale of the Week. - Alwyn]
    mad orc, the Critic's Quill publishes articles, reviews and interviews about After Action Reports and creative writing. Like all TWC publications, the Critic's Quill is run by a team of Content Staff. A list of our articles is available.

The Critic's Quill is run by the same staff team who support the Writers' Study. Some of us are citizens, but citizenship is not required.

In a recent post, I invited everyone to contribute ideas for my next Critic's Quill article - so, in that sense, everyone was invited to join in. Thank you to the people who responded. Everyone can also respond to our articles, either by posting replies to them or by posting here on the Writers' Study chat and feedback thread.
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 17, 2017 at 03:01 AM.

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

The latest Critic's Quill article, Dodging Bullets: Overcoming problems when writing AARs, has just been published.

Thanks to McScottish for your suggestion, which I used in the article.

Comments and feedback are welcome, you can either post them on the article or here on this thread.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

I bring a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for everyone!

TotW has a FOUR-way tie, astonishingly. Please go and vote, and help us to select a winner (just the one winner, please...)

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

I have done my duty!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

I wonder what is the critics quill(I mean i know what it is) .But it seems that non citizens are not encouraged to join in?

[Post moved from Tale of the Week commentary thread, because this is not commentary on Tale of the Week. - Alwyn]
    Hey Mad Orc,

Honestly, it is pretty much the opposite. The Critics Quill is filled with amazing, caring people, who are also fantastic writers. They give up their own time to give our community fantastic content and articles, many of them gems that can help with writing.

Let me explain how it is the opposite:

I was .... fourteen? Maybe fifteen when I was selected for the Critics Quill.
    Uh, sorry, not selected, accepted. You have to do a practice article/essay, and then have it reviewed.
    Anyway.
    My writing was crap. It still isn't great. But, I sure hope my writing is better now.

They aren't evil Mad Orc. Alwyn doesn't just sit on a dark throne laughing and plotting how to reject poor innocent hopefuls who wish to join the CQ.
    (Kudos, Alwyn, if you are. Would be hilarious!)

What do you need to join the CQ?

A good attitude and a care for the community. Stating "But it seems non-citizens are not encouraged to join in" Is not what they are looking for. 1. Because it implies that they're elitist and only want certain people to join the CQ. (Neither of which are true).
    2. Because it is kinda rude to imply such things. We're all people, after all.

You need time. Or good time management skills.
    I swear, the CQ team put up with me for a looooonnnggg time. Missing deadlines, failing to produce one article when Merchant of Venice and McScottish were producing eight or so.
    If you try to become a member of the Critics Quill, and as such a member of the Writers' Study Staff, be damned sure you can put in the time and effort for it. The Staff members work damn hard. They keep the Study running and active, they keep people motivated and are always willing to help or talk. So, if you cannot put in the time that they do, then simply don't apply. Don't be an ass like I was. I thought I could do school and the Critics Quill, and then the CQ was just put on the back burner and I became more a liability than an asset.

The skill to write.
    You're here, writing, so you obviously have skill. Whether or not you have skill enough to be part of the CQ team is up to the person who judges you. if you're rejected, no worries. Try again after you've written more and honed your skills.

To conclude: If you think you have all of that, then sign up for the Critics Quill/Writers' Study Staff. I don't know how the process works anymore, but someone other than me will know.

Just, remember. Everyone here is a person too.

Kind regards and thanks,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Thanks, Tigellinus

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Alwyn doesn't just sit on a dark throne laughing and plotting how to reject poor innocent hopefuls who wish to join the CQ.
    That's right, it's a light, cheerful colour, not dark. Mwahahaha.

Meanwhile, we have three entries for the Monthly AAR Competition LXX (MAARC). Writers' Study staff are planning to start the voting competition in about a week, so now is the time to enter your AAR, if you would like to. If we can reach six entries then we can run a larger 'full' competition (in a full competition, we have three winners rather than two and the prizes are increased.)

We have two entries for the Monthly Creative Writing Competition XVI (MCWC), if we get just one more then we'll have enough to run the competition (if we can get six entries, that would be even better). Creative writers are warmly invited to enter, if you are writing something which qualifies.

For both the MAARC and the MCWC, entering competitions can be a good way to attract new readers, whether you win or not.

Everyone is invited to read the new Critic's Quill article (I linked to it, above) and vote for your favourite story in Tale of the Week 261, if you have not done so already; Caillagh provided a link to Tale of the Week, above. You can also enter Tale of the Week 262, I'm looking forward to seeing the stories which this particular theme and picture will inspire.

Also, I am happy to report that, having made excellent contributions to the work of the staff team which supports the Writers' Study, Caillagh has been appointed Deputy Director of the Writers' Study and Critic's Quill. Congratulations, Caillagh!

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I have done my duty!
    Thank you!

It's an honour to have the curator cast a vote in one of our competitions. Congratulations on the new badge with purple words (and the new job to go with it).

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    That's right, it's a light, cheerful colour, not dark. Mwahahaha.
    (But it was really dark and menacing before the Writers' Study imps randomly took it into their heads to paint it a cheerful sky blue...)

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn
    Also, I am happy to report that, having made excellent contributions to the work of the staff team which supports the Writers' Study, Caillagh has been appointed Deputy Director of the Writers' Study and Critic's Quill. Congratulations, Caillagh!
    Ah, flattery.

Your commiserations congratulations are received with gratitude, boss. I'll do my best to be of use.
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; June 24, 2017 at 08:47 AM.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

@Alwyn: No worries Thanks for all the hard work you put into the Study!

@Cailagh: Congratulations!

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Deputy Director? They'll give anyone a job these days...

Congrats!
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

[squints at the big blue job title under Shankbot's name; nods in vigorous agreement]

Thank you.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Walked into that one... At least I get a badge for it?

Now you're just trying to make me jealous.

(I rather like the badge I've got... )

Citizen

Blog Entries

It looks a lot easier to carry around than this huge boulder on my shoulders for sure.

Tigelinneus-What i mean is that the process is somewhat invisible in the background .For example i claim to have surfed TWC a lot and never once have i seen something like entry essays or qualifying process .Maybe it used to be better back in the day .To conclude i never saw any signing up for writers study .It seems that its up to Alwyn(Who is a good and encouraging person by the way) would just appoint people when the time has come which i dont know how to make it come faster .
    Last edited by Owlparrot3; June 28, 2017 at 11:55 AM.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Just, remember. Everyone here is a person too.
    I found this line to be lets say not pleasing .I have never pressed any allegations or i am not talking in an angry voice .I know everybody is a person and i like all of my fellow writers from Tigellineus to Alwyn .
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Tigelinneus-What i mean is that the process is somewhat invisible in the background .For example i claim to have surfed TWC a lot and never once have i seen something like entry essays or qualifying process .Maybe it used to be better back in the day .To conclude i never saw any signing up for writers study .It seems that its up to Alwyn(Who is a good and encouraging person by the way) would just appoint people when the time has come which i dont know how to make it come faster .
    Becoming a member of Writers' Study and Critic's Quill staff - or joining any Content Staff team - is not an award, like becoming a citizen or Artifex. It's a job. (It's a voluntary job, Content Staff are not paid). Job interviews are normally done in private, not in public. That is why the process happens in the background.

Anyone who is interested in joining the Writers' Study and Critic's Quill staff team is welcome to send me a private message. Members of this team take part in Writers' Study competitions, encourage writers and write articles, interviews and reviews of AARs and creative writing. We look for people who have a track record of very good writing. We also look for participation in Writers' Study activities, such as writing AARs and creative writing, making encouraging and insightful comments on other people's writing, taking part in competitions and so on. It is also necessary to have a consistent record of following the TWC Terms of Service, respecting the rules of Writers' Study competitions and showing respect for other TWC members.

Citizen

Blog Entries

And if you meet all that I encourage you to apply, the WS is one of the best places to work on TWC and Alwyn is a fantastic director supported by a great team.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    Walked into that one... At least I get a badge for it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Now you're just trying to make me jealous.

(I rather like the badge I've got... )
    I tried to petition Hex for a Deputy Director badge back when I was doing it. I nearly got laughed out of content staff All is vanity I suppose.

Congrats Cail. Deputy Director can be a thankless task, but nevertheless a worthy one. I'm sure you'll do the position proud.

Thanks, Hitai. You and Merchant have left me some high expectations to live up to, but I'll do my best.

Everyone is invited to vote for your two favourite AARs in the MAARC LXX. If anyone only used one vote, please send a private message to the member of Writers' Study staff who posted the poll before voting ends, otherwise your one vote won't count.

AAR writers are invited to enter the MAARC LXXI.

If you post stories or poems in the Creative Writing forum, you would be welcome to enter the MCWC XVI, if you have posted writing which qualifies.

You are also welcome to vote for your favourite story in Tale of the Week 262 and to enter Tale of the Week 263!

Good luck to everyone in all of our competitions!