Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    It says 赤兔雄风, or 'the awe-inspiring Red Hare'. Sanyu is taking us to ancient China
    I'm glad you dropped by to post this.

Can't wait Sanyu, will be great to see an ancient China AAR.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Hitai is as clever as always and nailed it perfectly!

Don't get too excited now, my writing skills are a little rough on the edges

I'm excited for this China aar .
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; April 18, 2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Irrelevant self-advertisement removed.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks, Caillagh and Hitai!
    Don't thank me! I was just guessing! Hitai deserves all the credit, and gratitude.

The extra hints are just making me look forward even more to whatever Sanyu will write...

Friends, authors, fellow-readers, lend me your votes!

No, no, don't vote for me - that would be foolish, as I'm not an entrant in the current MAARC. Vote instead to help break a tie for first place in MAARC LXIX!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

There is still time to vote in Tale of the Week 259, thank you to people who have already voted!

Meanwhile, I am finding Colum McCann's advice for writers helpful and wonder if other writers here will find it useful, too. I like his ideas. For example: the opening of a story should have a balance between action and the impression that action is about to happen. Bring a writer requires outward-looking empathy. A good day day might involve having a hundred words fewer than yesterday. Characters should be able to surprise us: real lives are not always tidy and logical.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

There is still time to vote in Tale of the Week 259, thank you to people who have already voted!

Meanwhile, I am finding Colum McCann's advice for writers helpful and wonder if other writers here will find it useful, too. I like his ideas. For example: the opening of a story should have a balance between action and the impression that action is about to happen. Bring a writer requires outward-looking empathy. A good day day might involve having a hundred words fewer than yesterday. Characters should be able to surprise us: real lives are not always tidy and logical.
    Its a great article and one that I needed to read after taking some time off from writing. The article gave some grear points all around but by far his best advice was: "a writer is the one who puts his arse in the chair when the last thing he wants to do is have his arse in the chair."
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Good advice for all of us, I think. (Certainly advice I should pay more attention to.)

Hi, Scottish King. It's great to see you.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Good advice for all of us, I think. (Certainly advice I should pay more attention to.)

Hi, Scottish King. It's great to see you.
    Hey Caillagh! Good to be back!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Its a great article and one that I needed to read after taking some time off from writing. The article gave some grear points all around but by far his best advice was: "a writer is the one who puts his arse in the chair when the last thing he wants to do is have his arse in the chair."
    I agree about the best advice! Sometimes it's important to just write, even when we don't feel like writing. (That's how the prologue to my Iceni AAR got written).

Welcome back, Scottish King!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Thought I'd pop in around these places
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Hi Basileos, it's good to see you here. I wonder if you are interested in entering your new story Clouds of Smoke for the MCWC XVI.

Alwyn's comment made me think. So, tell me, Basileos Leandros I: if I want to abbreviate your name, should I call you 'Basileos', or 'Leandros'? I have no idea whether 'Basileos' is a proper way to address someone!

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Haha

Basileos is actually the Byzantine name for Emperor - hence why I believe it's appropriate.

All jokes aside, you can call me Basileos, no worries!

And yes, Alwyn, my pleasure
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Quote Originally Posted by Basileos Leandros I View Post
    Basileos is actually the Byzantine name for Emperor - hence why I believe it's appropriate.
    Yeah, that's why I wasn't sure you'd think it was appropriate...

I mean, I would never, not even for a single moment, dare to doubt the genuineness of your Imperial credentials. Honest I wouldn't. But, well, the current English equivalent would be to call the monarch "King" or "Queen", and - no matter how well you knew her - it would be a bit weird to walk up to Queen Elizabeth II and say "Hi, Queen!"

Anyway, if you're happy being Basileos, I'm happy calling you Basileos. Thank you.

I look forward to seeing more entries for Tale of the Week 261, Dark Souls (thanks to ChewieMuse for letting us use your great picture!).

Meanwhile, I am writing an article for the Critic's Quill about challenges which people experience when writing AARs and how you overcome them. If you would like to suggest examples (of challenges, solutions, or both) then you can contact me (by visitor message or private message) or post on this thread. Thanks in advance! If I use your idea in the article, I will give you credit as the source.
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 04, 2017 at 02:47 AM.

Recently i tried to write a horror story .

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Meanwhile, I am writing an article for the Critic's Quill about challenges which people experience when writing AARs and how you overcome them. If you would like to suggest examples (of challenges, solutions, or both) then you can contact me (by visitor message or private message) or post on this thread. Thanks in advance! If I use your idea in the article, I will give you credit as the source.

Well, a good start for myself would be this post here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15191083), so feel free to use that if you're interested.

Default Re: A Stranger in a Strange Land - An FoTS Saga [Updated: 17/04/2015]

Hey mate,
    I'm writing a story based on my own FoTS experience. However, it is unfortunately similar to yours. (i.e Nabeshima/Saga clan (I was playing as them) and Royal Marines) SO just to clarify this when I upload this to the AAR's, I wasn't copying you alright? Anyway keep up the good work.
    (I'm going to enclose a sample of the work here.)

Sgt John Roberts stepped off the boat in his bright red British Parade uniform, the sea’s glare near blinding him. “Let’s go lad. Don’t want to keep the Colonel waiting, do we now?” Captain Farrows said, in his Welsh brogue, whilst hurriedly fixing his hair and uniform.
    “No, sir.” Roberts replied quickly and advanced as swiftly as he dared. Yet he couldn’t help but look around in fascination at the curved rooftops of the polished wooden houses. Market stalls were seemingly everywhere he looked, selling a variety of fish, rice, vegetables and other items of value. Heads turned as Roberts and Farrows passed them. He slowed down to walk next to Farrows and muttered to him, “What’s this place called again?”. They’d walked fifty meters until Farrows responded.
    “Tsukushi.” He said simply. A strong wind had come and blew everyone’s hair, Farrows had his short black hair wind stricken. He grumbled angrily, cursing the wind under his breath. Roberts felt like doing the same. He had his blonde hair nice and tidy but then that damned wind had come and ruined it. “At least these,” Farrows pointed at Roberts’ and his own sideburns, “can’t be ruined!” He pulled out a comb and Roberts did the same and they both marched into the residence of the Daimyo, where they saw the Colonel apparently buying time for their arrival.
    “Ah, there you two are!” His face broke into a grin. He turned to the Daimyo and said “Well here are the gentlemen I was telling you about!”

[Edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze to add: This post is addressed to McScottish and refers - as the post title suggests - to McScottish's AAR A Stranger in a Strange Land.]
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; June 06, 2017 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Clarification of which AAR is being referred to after post moved from AAR thread.
    For Queen and Country, lads!! Queen Victoria that is!

Default Re: TotW Commentary Thread.

I wonder what is the critics quill(I mean i know what it is) .But it seems that non citizens are not encouraged to join in?

[Post moved from Tale of the Week commentary thread, because this is not commentary on Tale of the Week. - Alwyn]
    Last edited by Alwyn; June 17, 2017 at 02:23 AM.