Page 3 of 221 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853103 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: The Narthex - Introduce Yourself!

Started writing a Dad's Army themed A.H., it will only be a short story though.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Hehe, I've already started planning out an H.F set in 1096

Divulge more on ur dads army AH... please ^-^

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Jeez, what a huge influx of imagination has flowered in Historical Fiction! It is a sudden occurrence, but I am thankful for all your contributions.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

René Artois's Avatar Dux Limitis

If anyone is interested, i've started a Lord of the Rings story, you can get to it by clicking the "Gondor" in my sig. But don't worry, i have been working on historical fiction, just wait 'til after christmas when i unleash it on the forums!

Here's a preview of my Dad's Army story:

“Okay men, keep steady aim, this is the real thing...”, said Captain Arthur Mainwaring, as he and his men, who were haphazardly positioned behind a makeshift roadblock which was hastily assembled from an upturned cart, and several sandbags, braced themselves for the “big show”. It had come as a surprise to all of them, as it was assumed the RAF had already stopped the German invasion in the skies, but it had come, regardless of any other actions. During the night was when it went off, the church bells ringing, the radios came on with warnings to keep calm and carry on. Easier said than done, thought Captain Mainwaring, looking at the rag tag assembly of twenty old men and boys, the youngest, Private Pike, was not openly showing his fear, but it was clear in his eyes; the oldest Private Godfrey, who was unarmed, yet still wanted to do his duty, with his medical satchel, ready for any casualties. The Captain allowed himself a slight smile, as Pike looked at him, his eyes seeking comfort. He had always been harsh on the boy, but had grown fond of him, indeed of all of them, the men he had grown to know over the past year, as they rose from an unarmed group, into a well-drilled unit of soldiers. Well drilled yes, but by no means any kind of match for the battle-hardened soldiers of the Reich, he doubted they would make it through the night.

“They don't like it up 'em you know!”, announced Lance-Corporal Jones, as he nervously fixed his bayonet to the top of his rifle. “It's the cold steel, they can't stand the old, cold steel!” The platoon chuckled, it was light-hearted joviality like this, that kept them together. Captain Mainwaring gave the order to fix bayonets.

“How about we all give them some of the cold, steel?”, he smiled, “Show them how the British like to fight, not bombing innocent women and children like cowards!” As he finished speaking, Private Walker, a cigarette hanging loosely from the corner of his mouth, stuck his head over the barricade, and shouted in a typical cockney accent,

“That's right ya Jerry blighters!” They all cheered along with him, some sticking their arms over, waving their fists, Jones gesturing with his rifle, presumably showing them what he wanted to do to the first German he met. The cheering stopped abruptly though, as a burst of machine gun fire erupted from the night, coming from down the road they were in charge of defending. The bullets zipped over head like a swarm of angry wasps. They all instinctively ducked down low, those who didn't already have helmets on, donning them quickly, struggling with the difficult chin-strap.

“Keep low, but stay sharp, they will come any minute now...”, whispered Captain Mainwaring, the rest of the platoon nodding in reply. As the sporadic fire came towards them, no attack followed for at least ten minutes. A broad Scottish accent was heard in the night, shouting loudly, voicing his opinion, as usual, it was Private Frazer,

“Come and face us, ye lily livered cowards!”, he yelled at the to of his voice. Captain Mainwaring's mouth narrowed, he never knew to hold his tongue, but at the same time he was grateful it was being directed at the Germans and not him.

“Don't worry Jock, they're just wasting their ammo!”, laughed Jones, patting Frazer on the soldier, laughing. This was not Jones' first fight, he was a seasoned veteran of the Sudan, and never let anyone forget it! It was a fools hope, but it offered great comfort to them all.
    Bitter is the wind tonight,
    it stirs up the white-waved sea.
    I do not fear the coursing of the Irish sea
    by the fierce warriors of Lothlind.

Bravo, sir! Work on it vigilantly to your very death.
    Cicero

I'm Richard (or, as my screen name says, GrouchoMarxist JohnLennonist).

I'm incredibly interested in Asian history, so I'll probably focus around that, specifically Japan and South Asia for the most part. Perhaps China. As for the time periods, I would tend to vary, though the first part of the first story I'm posting takes place in the early 1700's with a new leader for the Maratha Empire. As colonial powers come into play, it is obvious that I would tend to focus on them, but I would like to portray events from natives more than colonial Europeans (which I find overdone).

I'm also very interested in philosophy, and currently am going through the thought process of a historical fiction (rare for me, I tend to focus on AH) revolving around a Buddhist monk working under Ashoka.

Welcome home, G.M.J.L. I do hope your talented streak gives us much to be proud of here!
    Cicero

Nazgűl Killer's Avatar ✡At Your Service✡

Aight, after a dreadfully painfully failed attempt of a story a month ago, I'm about to start anew. I already have a plotline and all that.

I've learned from my past mistakes and I assure you that this time it will be far, far better. The only things I need:
    1) Timeline (1960's and up please)
    2) Setting (Scenery, countries and so on)

Could anyone suggest some ideas?
    Last edited by Nazgűl Killer; January 18, 2010 at 11:52 AM.
    Nazgul Killer's M2TW Guide
    Personal Help & Advice forum
    My view on the "Friend Zone"
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Yes a guy from the 1960s finds a time machine and travels back to the middle ages!

Quote Originally Posted by Armatus View Post
    Yes a guy from the 1960s finds a time machine and travels back to the middle ages!
    Yeah. Thanks.
    Good things come to those who wait... But better things come to those who never hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazgűl Killer View Post
    Yeah. Thanks.
    Don't be too harsh in the face of good fun! The story shall come to you, in time, if it is truly your own. A beloved child always comes straight from the imaginative heart. Now, go forth and write!
    Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Don't be too harsh in the face of good fun! The story shall come to you, in time, if it is truly your own. A beloved child always comes straight from the imaginative heart. Now, go forth and write!
    Already started a new one. Gonna do the second chapter now.

Hi. I'm Vespasian, I love Roman and medieval history. I have finished two already, one about the Third Crusade and one about the Norman Conquest, and am currently working on one for Rome in the second Punic war with Hannibal.

Welcome, Vespasian! I truly hope you will stay and finish your works with boldness and glory.
    Cicero

golded's Avatar Foederatus

Hello. My name is golded and I am completely new to writing historical fiction. All of my writing has been history research papers but I'm hoping to break out of my shell and start getting creative. My period of interest is medieval history and I hope to contribute to the lively community here at the TWC. I already have a first chapter of a story completed and I plan on posting it ASAP. Please don't get upset with my massive historical inaccuracies as I'm very new to this and I just want to get some ideas out there and try out some creative writing. Thanks so much and I look forward to sharing my stories with you all.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Golded. Don't worry about the historical inaccuracies my friend, we all have them, the stories come first, the historical details come after. As long as you don't have robots with laser rifles in 14th Century Europe I don't think anybody will even notice, so don't worry.

I'll read your story a bit later, looking forward to it.

Once again, it's good of you to join us. Feel free to comment on other pieces that you like - the writers here appreciate any and all feedback.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Name's Evz. I love writing. I love history. I've always written fiction before, but more science fiction and fantasy. Never really set a story in our own world and history (that didn't include fantasy critters anyways ). Hopefully I'll start writing soon!

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Haha, should be a good challenge for you then. Welcome Evz, good to have you with us; can't wait to see what you come up with.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

PubliusKhannus's Avatar Senator

Hello, I'm Publius Khannus. I enjoy writing loosely based historical fiction, meaning I won't let a few facts stand in the way of a rollicking good tale. I can be inclined at times to write some utter fantasy merely because it is much easier to create your own universe than trying to alter an already defined universe without running into issues of generic plots and similar writing content. All in all, writing is a fun way for me to release the creative juices but it isn't my sole focus in life so I think it works better as a hobby.

Check out my collection of poetry, prose, & comedy @ https://badwriter.net

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Haha, should be a good challenge for you then. Welcome Evz, good to have you with us; can't wait to see what you come up with.
    Will do my best.