Page 1 of 209 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 4175

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

  1. #1
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Feel free to chat away, introduce yourself, ask questions, provide feedback, discuss writing, discuss stuff that isn't writing... etc.

    (Adverts for your AARs and Creative Writing should go on the Writers' Study Advertising Board thread. You are very welcome to discuss your writing here, but this thread really is for discussion. WS staff will move any post that is no more than an advert for your writing to the Advertising Board thread, because that's where people look for adverts!)

    ~ The WS team
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 09, 2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: tiny bit of updating

  2. #2
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

    I should set a precedent for introductions here.

    My name is Monarchist, and I absolutely love the Victorian era. Most of my historical fiction interests sit within the time period of 1879-1910. There is some overlap, and I may just write fiction which takes the First World War as its setting. Another period of history I may consider writing for is the 1054-1204 period, the high tide of the Crusades. There is so much joy in writing imagined history that I cannot even begin to explain it!
    Last edited by Monarchist; January 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  3. #3
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

    I dare say that the fruits of a seed planted with love never fail to appear, even in early Winter's fall!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

    Wonderful! The dream has flowered... Congratulations and all that!

  5. #5
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

    Your congratulations are appreciated, but another thing would be greater still: stories, dear fellows!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  6. #6
    Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chlοëtopia
    Posts
    43,795

    Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

    My name is Legio and I really liked this idea from the beginning. I also like Monarchist. I hope to be writing for this soon!

  7. #7
    Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,778

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Well my name is Katsumoto, and I plan to be writing in this forum about samurai and their way of life etc. I will try to be as historically accurate in my stories, but please don't lynch me if I make some mistakes Once I come up with an idea I shall begin writing
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

  8. #8
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Well my name is Katsumoto, and I plan to be writing in this forum about samurai and their way of life etc. I will try to be as historically accurate in my stories, but please don't lynch me if I make some mistakes Once I come up with an idea I shall begin writing
    Maybe you could make an alternate story of Nobunaga actually winning in 1582. Something innovative is always welcome as we start our first round of stories. Be sure to look up the references that I will post in the historical information sticky. Everyone should contribute as much as they can from their favourite time periods, but please only give articles by professionals. Links to the Musaeum, Vestigia Vetustatis, and various history articles across the internet will be part of the examples sticky.

    We shall all work together, in criticism and in praise. Never let anyone get you down, even if you do write a horrible story. If anyone tries to lynch you, I'll be sure to come and cut down the tree you're hanging from.
    Last edited by Monarchist; November 07, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  9. #9
    Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    16,453

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    I'm Barry Goldwater, and I loved this idea from the start. I'm very interested in American history, and I will eventually get an American timeline I've been working on up.

    Also, congratulations to Monarchist for getting this gem up, +rep

  10. #10

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    My name is Tiberius Tosi and I may post a crappy historical fiction story I wrote for my Composition class last year.

    This was a great idea thought Monarchist!
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

  11. #11
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    My name is Tiberius Tosi and I may post a crappy historical fiction story I wrote for my Composition class last year.

    This was a great idea thought Monarchist!
    Was? I demand that you commit forty push-ups right now for that slander. This is a great idea, damn it! We shall have millions of Refectorions, each one publishing his own story for all of us to see. There shall be a tidal wave of imagination, contribution, and epic...ution!

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    I'm Barry Goldwater, and I loved this idea from the start. I'm very interested in American history, and I will eventually get an American timeline I've been working on up.

    Also, congratulations to Monarchist for getting this gem up, +rep
    Thank you so much my friend! Your compliments are appreciated, but the admins should be thanked as well. They were the ones who actually obliged my request, after all.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  12. #12

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Was? I demand that you commit forty push-ups right now for that slander. This is a great idea, damn it! We shall have millions of Refectorions, each one publishing his own story for all of us to see. There shall be a tidal wave of imagination, contribution, and epic...ution!
    I have done eighty pushups for my insolence. Indeed, it was and still is a great idea, sir!
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

  13. #13
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    ! As long as you manage to post some fiction, I will be satisfied. There shall be a renaissance of T.W.C. art, believe me!
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  14. #14
    Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,778

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Maybe you could make an alternate story of Nobunaga actually winning in 1582. Something innovative is always welcome as we start our first round of stories. Be sure to look up the references that I will post in the historical information sticky. Everyone should contribute as much as they can from their favourite time periods, but please only give articles by professionals. Links to the Musaeum, Vestigia Vetustatis, and various history articles across the internet will be part of the examples sticky.
    Well I was actually thinking of just inventing a character and just writing about the time period, not specific events, I hope that's still okay
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

  15. #15
    Monarchist's Avatar Civitate
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,804

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Well I was actually thinking of just inventing a character and just writing about the time period, not specific events, I hope that's still okay
    Well, that is usually the thing which separates A.H. from H.F. (read the guidelines )

    A.H. tends to be alternate history focusing on a hero or real human being from history. The only change is that the events of human chronology are radically different. A.H. would be like Hitler at age 87, as the guidelines topic says.

    H.F. tends to be real history focusing on a fictional hero. Just see my own short story "A Better World", now re-named, for that.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

  16. #16
    Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,778

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Ah okay, yeah I'll come up with something then, no worries
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

  17. #17
    abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    8,194

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Hello ye! Seems like a fine place alright! I might do some story, what would you think about "Hang though, Bastogne" ey?

  18. #18

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    I would like just to wish you good luck and lots of good stories.

    Cheers!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz


  19. #19

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Hi I am Deux, the Roman Empire captures my attention, there is just so much to work with, so many interesting stories to tell which history may or may not have captured. Plus I have lots of material out there to work with, lots of great authors to be inspired by! Hopefully there will be a few from TWC!
    [A.H] Imperator Romanus - In The Writer's Study, come join us!
    A Guide to the Differences of the Roman Factions - Take a look!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

    Hey Guys, finally contributed...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •