Page 1 of 221 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Monarchist's Avatar Civitate

Default Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Feel free to chat away, introduce yourself, ask questions, provide feedback, discuss writing, discuss stuff that isn't writing... etc.

(Adverts for your AARs and Creative Writing should go on the Writers' Study Advertising Board thread. You are very welcome to discuss your writing here, but this thread really is for discussion. WS staff will move any post that is no more than an advert for your writing to the Advertising Board thread, because that's where people look for adverts!)

~ The WS team
    Last edited by Caillagh de Bodemloze; April 09, 2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: tiny bit of updating

Default Re: The Dormitorium - Introductions.

I should set a precedent for introductions here.

My name is Monarchist, and I absolutely love the Victorian era. Most of my historical fiction interests sit within the time period of 1879-1910. There is some overlap, and I may just write fiction which takes the First World War as its setting. Another period of history I may consider writing for is the 1054-1204 period, the high tide of the Crusades. There is so much joy in writing imagined history that I cannot even begin to explain it!
    Last edited by Monarchist; January 18, 2018 at 09:31 PM.
    "Pauci viri sapientiae student."
    Cicero

I dare say that the fruits of a seed planted with love never fail to appear, even in early Winter's fall!
    Cicero

Wonderful! The dream has flowered... Congratulations and all that!

Your congratulations are appreciated, but another thing would be greater still: stories, dear fellows!
    Cicero

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

My name is Legio and I really liked this idea from the beginning. I also like Monarchist. I hope to be writing for this soon!

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Introduce Yourself!

Well my name is Katsumoto, and I plan to be writing in this forum about samurai and their way of life etc. I will try to be as historically accurate in my stories, but please don't lynch me if I make some mistakes Once I come up with an idea I shall begin writing
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Well my name is Katsumoto, and I plan to be writing in this forum about samurai and their way of life etc. I will try to be as historically accurate in my stories, but please don't lynch me if I make some mistakes Once I come up with an idea I shall begin writing
    Maybe you could make an alternate story of Nobunaga actually winning in 1582. Something innovative is always welcome as we start our first round of stories. Be sure to look up the references that I will post in the historical information sticky. Everyone should contribute as much as they can from their favourite time periods, but please only give articles by professionals. Links to the Musaeum, Vestigia Vetustatis, and various history articles across the internet will be part of the examples sticky.

We shall all work together, in criticism and in praise. Never let anyone get you down, even if you do write a horrible story. If anyone tries to lynch you, I'll be sure to come and cut down the tree you're hanging from.
    Last edited by Monarchist; November 07, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
    Cicero

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

I'm Barry Goldwater, and I loved this idea from the start. I'm very interested in American history, and I will eventually get an American timeline I've been working on up.

Also, congratulations to Monarchist for getting this gem up, +rep

My name is Tiberius Tosi and I may post a crappy historical fiction story I wrote for my Composition class last year.

This was a great idea thought Monarchist!
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberius Tosi View Post
    My name is Tiberius Tosi and I may post a crappy historical fiction story I wrote for my Composition class last year.

This was a great idea thought Monarchist!
    Was? I demand that you commit forty push-ups right now for that slander. This is a great idea, damn it! We shall have millions of Refectorions, each one publishing his own story for all of us to see. There shall be a tidal wave of imagination, contribution, and epic...ution!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    I'm Barry Goldwater, and I loved this idea from the start. I'm very interested in American history, and I will eventually get an American timeline I've been working on up.

Also, congratulations to Monarchist for getting this gem up, +rep
    Thank you so much my friend! Your compliments are appreciated, but the admins should be thanked as well. They were the ones who actually obliged my request, after all.
    Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Was? I demand that you commit forty push-ups right now for that slander. This is a great idea, damn it! We shall have millions of Refectorions, each one publishing his own story for all of us to see. There shall be a tidal wave of imagination, contribution, and epic...ution!
    I have done eighty pushups for my insolence. Indeed, it was and still is a great idea, sir!
    Forget the Cod this man needs a Sturgeon!

! As long as you manage to post some fiction, I will be satisfied. There shall be a renaissance of T.W.C. art, believe me!
    Cicero

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Maybe you could make an alternate story of Nobunaga actually winning in 1582. Something innovative is always welcome as we start our first round of stories. Be sure to look up the references that I will post in the historical information sticky. Everyone should contribute as much as they can from their favourite time periods, but please only give articles by professionals. Links to the Musaeum, Vestigia Vetustatis, and various history articles across the internet will be part of the examples sticky.
    Well I was actually thinking of just inventing a character and just writing about the time period, not specific events, I hope that's still okay
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by Katsumoto View Post
    Well I was actually thinking of just inventing a character and just writing about the time period, not specific events, I hope that's still okay
    Well, that is usually the thing which separates A.H. from H.F. (read the guidelines )

A.H. tends to be alternate history focusing on a hero or real human being from history. The only change is that the events of human chronology are radically different. A.H. would be like Hitler at age 87, as the guidelines topic says.

H.F. tends to be real history focusing on a fictional hero. Just see my own short story "A Better World", now re-named, for that.
    Cicero

Moderator Emeritus

Ah okay, yeah I'll come up with something then, no worries

abbews's Avatar The Screen Door Slams

Hello ye! Seems like a fine place alright! I might do some story, what would you think about "Hang though, Bastogne" ey?

I would like just to wish you good luck and lots of good stories.

Cheers!
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Hi I am Deux, the Roman Empire captures my attention, there is just so much to work with, so many interesting stories to tell which history may or may not have captured. Plus I have lots of material out there to work with, lots of great authors to be inspired by! Hopefully there will be a few from TWC!
    [A.H] Imperator Romanus - In The Writer's Study, come join us!
    A Guide to the Differences of the Roman Factions - Take a look!

Hey Guys, finally contributed...