Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

Goodday fellow members of the Writers' Study

The Writers' Study presents to you another tie-break, this time for third place of AAR of the Year. So once more we'd like to invite you to cast your vote in the voting thread. While you're there you might consider paying the tie-breaker for Creative Writing of the Year a final visit. Voting on that thread closes tomorrow at 17:24 GMT+1.

Thanks a bunch!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Thanks to everyone who entered the Writers' Study Yearly Awards! Down in the ink caves, the Writers' Study imps are counting the votes under the careful supervision of Writers' Study staff.

Here's a friendly reminder to everyone to keep the competition rules in mind - we shouldn't break the rules, even when we're joking and even if we don't believe we're doing any harm.

Meanwhile, everyone is invited to vote in Tale of the Week 293: Tyrant and the MAARC LXXXIV. You're also invited to enter Tale of the Week 294: Battle of Trenton and the MAARC LXXXV.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Here's a friendly reminder to everyone to keep the competition rules in mind - we shouldn't break the rules, even when we're joking and even if we don't believe we're doing any harm.
    This is how empires begin to fall: With one barbarians insolence. Who did this? I want names and a public stoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by CommodusIV View Post
    George Orwell is a positive familiar name for me. The others don't ring a bell, though my literary exposure is spotty, so that means little.
    Okay. Well thanks for reading & replying.

Take damned good care of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Swaeft View Post
    I had to read Animal Farm and 1984 for literature. Great writer! Also you'd be right G Ward, I actually wanted to spell swift but thought it was too unoriginal Thanks and see you around!

Glad you could join us!
    Orwell is indeed a damned good writer. 1984 & Animal Farm are both very good. But, for me, Orwell's true brilliance is in his essays, and his 'political-reporting book' Homage to Catalonia about his time in Spain during the Spanish Civil War. Essentially, the book is an account of Orwell's unique situation as witness to the lies & depravity of both sides during the Spanish Civil War.

Anyway, I could go on & on about this for ever.

Was it 'Swift' after the late (& great) Jonathan Swift? (I'm presuming not).

Damned sorry about the late reply. I've stopped getting notifications when people reply to my posts, or, to threads I've started.

Does anyone know how I can:

a) Get notifications back

b) Enable e-mails about these notifications

Any help is welcome. I've had a look at the "My Account" page, but there doesn't seem to be any options abt. notifications. I might just be blind.

-
    G. Ward

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by G. Ward View Post
    Damned sorry about the late reply. I've stopped getting notifications when people reply to my posts, or, to threads I've started.

Does anyone know how I can:

a) Get notifications back

b) Enable e-mails about these notifications

Any help is welcome. I've had a look at the "My Account" page, but there doesn't seem to be any options abt. notifications. I might just be blind.
    Hi G. Ward,

You should be able to change the options for notifications by going to My Account and then clicking on General Settings.

If you do you'll get this page:

The second tab you'll see on this page, under "Login & Privacy", will be called "Messaging & Notification". In this tab you will find an option called "Default Thread Subscription Mode". You can change this to your preference and should fix your problem. If it doesn't don't hesitate to ask any further and I'll do my best to help.

Hope this solves your problem.

Cheers,
    Turkafinwë

Content Emeritus

The moment for celebration has come! Everyone is invited to join the festivities at the Writers' Study Yearly Awards 2018-2019 - Awards Ceremony Feast!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Hi G. Ward,

You should be able to change the options for notifications by going to My Account and then clicking on General Settings.

If you do you'll get this page:

The second tab you'll see on this page, under "Login & Privacy", will be called "Messaging & Notification". In this tab you will find an option called "Default Thread Subscription Mode". You can change this to your preference and should fix your problem. If it doesn't don't hesitate to ask any further and I'll do my best to help.

Hope this solves your problem.

Cheers,
    Turkafinwë
    Thanks a lot. I've changed the setting & it ought to work properly now.

Cheers.

Do take care.
    Last edited by G. Ward; December 14, 2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: To Remove an accidentally-added "quote" from another, earlier post.

-
    G. Ward

Everyone is invited to vote in the MAARC LXXXIV tie-break. (It will probably take me a couple of days after the poll ends to post the winners' thread, because I'll be doing Christmassy things).

Meanwhile, don't forget to put quill to parchment for Tale of the Week 294: Battle of Trenton, to share in the awards ceremony feast for the winners of the Yearly Awards 2018/19 and congratulate the winners (thanks to those who've already done so).

If you'd like an extra writing challenge, our Second Occasional Competition: Seedship, the 85th MAARC and the 20th MCWC are available.
    Last edited by Alwyn; December 19, 2019 at 06:49 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

And - because we wouldn't want you all to be bored over Christmas - please nominate your favourite writers in the 2019 Member Awards! We're very privileged - we get a category almost to ourselves, so let's make the most of that privilege and nominate all our finest writers from this year!

(Please also nominate your favourite members of TWC in the other categories, too, of course. )

Content Emeritus

Just a reminder that the nominations for the 2019 Member Awards are still going. So go have a look and nominate your favourite members both within the WS and outside it!

On another note you are all invited to submit your writings and scribblings alike to the MAARC LXXXV and/or MCWC XX. If you'd like to do something different and direct your creativity to something unique, you could check out our Second Occasional Competition: Seedship or the TotW 294: The Battle of Trenton (or if you're feeling very cheeky, check out both )

Well said Caillagh and Turk, it would be great to see more Member Awards nominations (nominations close in a few days, so now's the time) and more entries for Writers' Study competitions this month!

Hey fellow writers! The current MAARC has open for a while now, and it would be lovely to see it run sometime soon. Currently there are two entrants, but I know for certain there are more folks out there with running AARs which are well worth entering. So send in your stories, or nominate those of writers whose stuff you like (getting their permission first, of course ).
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing

Voting in MAARC LXXXV has now begun! You have two votes, so you can pick two AARs!

(And don't forget to vote in the 2019 Member Awards, too!)

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Voting in MAARC LXXXV has now begun! You have two votes, so you can pick two AARs!

(And don't forget to vote in the 2019 Member Awards, too!)
    Did my job in all the places I had/needed to! Since I want a dinner and a show, a piece of cheesecake and DERC getting the Simspon Aussie boot a few times for killing Rome would be nice!

Thanks to everyone who has voted in the MAARC and entered our Second Occasional Competition.

If you haven't voted yet in the MAARC LXXXV, you're invited to vote now, as the poll will close today.

If you're considering entering the Second Occasional Competition: Seedship, please enter today. I'm expecting that the competition will start tomorrow (February 16th).

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Oh man, I wish I had seen that competition before just now. That looks like it would have been super fun to write but I don't think I can write something quality in just one day. Does voting start 16th or just entries?

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    Oh man, I wish I had seen that competition before just now. That looks like it would have been super fun to write but I don't think I can write something quality in just one day. Does voting start 16th or just entries?
    Entries started back in july, so I reckon voting starts tomorrow
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Give the man tomorrow and I'll post something as well

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

You've all had three extra days to write your entries, so I expect there are lots of them ready to be posted now! My advice is to submit them as rapidly as possible - staff members all have things to catch up on at the moment, so the voting probably won't start today, but I'm not giving any guarantees beyond that...

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Edit: Eh, ignore me.
    Last edited by Dismounted Feudal Knight; February 18, 2020 at 07:29 PM.