Thread: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

  1. #3541

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rc...4G8Ouz7HugNL6k

    I just love writing stories on Victorian era Fillibustering and dirty wars.Combine that with multiple perspectives each given same justice and a twist in the tale would make for a great story.Yup after the end of my Spain ETW aar,the slot is opened and a new story may start at any time.Watch out.

    Please give me helpfull tips on how to approach this strange but interesting subject and write a story based on it.
    Last edited by mad orc; November 04, 2017 at 07:59 AM.
    Life is beautiful

  2. #3542
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Please could you correct your link, mad orc? The current one just sends me to a redirect page; there's no relevant content there at all.

    I can certainly see why that period - and that aspect of the period - appeals to you. I think I'd approach writing a story in that period the same way as I'd approach any other story, though. What is it in particular that you'd like people to help with?






  3. #3543

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    I currently have many plotlines.But after all i can only write one story.The question is at what point in that expidition should the story starts.How to avoid it from getting boring and repetitive,after all most of it will just be some mad French soldiers who are masscaring natives through the endless plains and deserts of unexplored Africa.
    Life is beautiful

  4. #3544
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Since you've started a separate thread for this, I'll comment on the above post there - there's no point in having the same discussion in two places.






  5. #3545
    waveman's Avatar Decanus
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    591

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Ah, I was just pullin' yer leg mate, you can write about whatsoever you would like.

    Ah, is that what that tugging sensation was?

    I've gone and started playing a campaign in both games, and while I've got something that could develop into a story for FoTS, I've definitely got something for Sengoku

    My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: ţ, đ ć Ć

  6. #3546

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Please add my ETW Spain aar to the finished list.
    Life is beautiful

  7. #3547
    Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    14,835
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    So Halloween is over, Guy Fawkes' night will soon be here... any watched that Gunpowder show with Kit Harington?
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS



    PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

  8. #3548
    General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,389
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    I watched the first episode. I'm not really into religion at all and that seems to have the overtone so I'm on the fence about watching it further

  9. #3549
    Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes
    Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    The alcoves in the Koningin Astridpark
    Posts
    5,785

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    V for Vendetta is the only Guy Fawkes-esque movie/TV show ya need.




  10. #3550
    Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Round the Corner.
    Posts
    1,797

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I watched the first episode. I'm not really into religion at all and that seems to have the overtone so I'm on the fence about watching it further


    This twice over. It's only 3 episodes though isn't it? I got the feeling it might have been better with more because it felt very driven at times.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.


  11. #3551
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I watched the first episode. I'm not really into religion at all and that seems to have the overtone so I'm on the fence about watching it further
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    This twice over. It's only 3 episodes though isn't it? I got the feeling it might have been better with more because it felt very driven at times.
    I didn't see it; was there more religion than was appropriate? I mean, I'd have thought it would be impossible to tell the story without including religion, given the background to it.






  12. #3552
    Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Round the Corner.
    Posts
    1,797

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    I don't know, I get what you say. It was a while ago I watched that episode so it's not the freshest in my head. Maybe that level of directness and focus is what they were going for but I'd have personally preferred a slightly wider lens. At this point in time I can only put names to faces for Catesby, Fawkes and King James and I'm normally better pretty good with remembering that kind of info. Methinks I should watch the rest at some point and get back.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.


  13. #3553
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Well, if they left out other important information (or skipped over it so fast you missed it), that's no good either! If you do watch the rest, it would be interesting to know what you thought.






  14. #3554
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    In slightly more official business, my informants tell me that MAARC LXXII now has three entries!

    As you all know, that means we have enough to run a competition with reduced awards. In order to run a full competition, we need six entries. I'm going to leave the submission thread open for another week or so in case anyone else was thinking of entering (or is inspired to enter by the high standard of the competition ) If you'd like to try your luck against Alwyn, mad orc, and Rabbit55821, the submission thread is here - and if you're not planning to enter, now's a good time to check out the submissions and decide on your favourite!






  15. #3555
    Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    883

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    In slightly more official business, my informants tell me that MAARC LXXII now has three entries!

    As you all know, that means we have enough to run a competition with reduced awards. In order to run a full competition, we need six entries. I'm going to leave the submission thread open for another week or so in case anyone else was thinking of entering (or is inspired to enter by the high standard of the competition ) If you'd like to try your luck against Alwyn, mad orc, and Rabbit55821, the submission thread is here - and if you're not planning to enter, now's a good time to check out the submissions and decide on your favourite!
    Well as it seems I now qualify, I'll throw my hat into the ring. Hopefully I've read all the rules correctly, but if I've missed anything please let me know.

    All the Best,

    Welsh Dragon.

  16. #3556
    Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Round the Corner.
    Posts
    1,797

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    Well, if they left out other important information (or skipped over it so fast you missed it), that's no good either! If you do watch the rest, it would be interesting to know what you thought.
    Actually found time and watched them last night; I'll stick by what I said. It's very driven/has a very narrow focus (as opposed to being rushed) and I think that made it easy to miss information although it was probably better than I initially thought as long as you aren't easily distracted. That said they missed several conspirators for understandable reasons given the time and I think it came down to whether they wanted to make a full drama or given everyone already knows the ending anyway - stick to the important people/events. Personally I think I'd have preferred the former but I think they achieved what they wanted pretty well.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.


  17. #3557
    Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    the British Isles
    Posts
    6,902

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Fellow residents of the Writers' Study, have you been thinking of entering Tale of the Week?

    The current contest - TotW 266: Prodigy - has only two entries, but we cannot prolong the submission period for ever. If anyone else feels inspired by those keywords, do not delay; enter while you still can!






  18. #3558
    Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    8,182

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    As Caillagh said, it would be great to see more entries in Tale of the Week 266 - there's a link in Caillagh's post, above.

    It's also not too late to enter the MAARC LXXII - see the Monthly Writers' Study Competitions sub-forum for more information. (Thanks to everyone who has entered both competitions so. Welsh Dragon, you didn't miss anything.)

  19. #3559
    General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Magistrate

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kingdom of The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,389
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    Looks like I will be passing on watching the other two then lol.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    Actually found time and watched them last night; I'll stick by what I said. It's very driven/has a very narrow focus (as opposed to being rushed) and I think that made it easy to miss information although it was probably better than I initially thought as long as you aren't easily distracted. That said they missed several conspirators for understandable reasons given the time and I think it came down to whether they wanted to make a full drama or given everyone already knows the ending anyway - stick to the important people/events. Personally I think I'd have preferred the former but I think they achieved what they wanted pretty well.

  20. #3560

    Default Re: Writers' Study Chat and Feedback - Ask all your questions here!

    I figured I'd take the rust out off of the metaphorical keyboard and help get the TotW running.

    For those who read my work and wonder where I've been, a combination of a complicated* plot-hole and my thesis has grinded The Tale of the White Leopard to a halt. However, it's not abandoned. Once I get some time to figure it out, I want to finish Book II at the very least.

    *Meteorological, in fact.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •