Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Defunct Ab Urbe Condita Thread (from TE Gold)

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Defunct Ab Urbe Condita Thread (from TE Gold)

---------------------

Allright lads!

In my opinion TE Gold is an amazing mod (personally my favourite RTW mod of all time), but I always felt like there could be a little bit more added onto it. As a result, I began modding it and eventually this was the result!

My overhaul contains several new major changes; so much so that you wont be able to recognise the original Terrae Expugnandae mod! Some of the changes are as follows:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - massive graphic and terrain improvements to the battle map; this WILL cause lag on some lower end computers =/
    - new terrain textures for the campaign map (which can change when you upgrade farmsteads in that province)
    - new water animations and textures for the campaign map (new in version 1.4)
    - new campaign strat models for cities and ports
    - 6 new cities; Argos in Greece, Himera and Akragas in Sicily, Ilipa in Malta, Taras in Ireland and Babylon in Babylonia (funnily enough)
    - massive faction overhauls and a new faction (Sabaea; implemented in v2)
    - many new units and retextures of pre-existing units (some examples below)
    - a small AOR system, yet still not sufficient enough to significantly detract from the original unit recruitment roster
    - lots of EDU tweaks; if you dont like incredibly tough units then dont download this!
    - new wall textures for the Romans and Greeks
    - huge amount of fixes to the text files; now the barbarian factions have a properly named and updated unit roster!
    - the popular Force Diplomacy Mod has been included (to handle the dumb AI at times; try not to abuse it!)
    - new advisor UI cards
    - too many other small changes to mention........

This mod isn't entirely historically accurate; some leeway has been given for aesthetic looks and balance as well, so dont come flaming when you notice that "X unit didnt wear Corinthian helmets!" or "Faction Y has THIS city? etc"

As of v2, this mod has been modified to run on Alexander; therefore it unfortunately cannot be played without the Alexander expansion.

Download:

To install:
    - extract the mod contents to your Creative Assembly/Rome - Total War folder (If you are currently using any of the Terrae Expugnandae mods, this will basically overwrite your entire terrae_expugnandae folder so I would recommend renaming the pre-existing folder "backup" or something).

- for those of you that use Steam, extract the downloaded files to your RTW Alexander folder (normally this would be C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\RTW Alexander). Furthermore, Steam users should then do the following:
    - right click on Rome Total War - Alexander in your Steam library, and select 'Properties' from the menu.
    - under Properties, go to the first tab, 'General'. At the bottom is a box that you can select to set launch options for the game.
    - copy this and paste it there; "-mod:terrae_expugnandae -nm -show_err -movie_cam -enable_editor -noalexander". Make sure there is a space before the dash (-)!!
    - the game should load with the mod from Steam. No need to click the bat file anymore.
    The majority of the mod is modfoldered, however the in-game graphical improvements are not. I have tested the vanilla game extensively, and apart from the increase in terrain graphics and the campaign map there are no problems

To play:
    - run the included batch file (called "TE"); after installation this should be located in your RTW folder (alongside your exe files). I'd advise you to create a shortcut for the batch file to your desktop, and rename it Rome Total War or something. I have also heard that some of you may experience problems running the mod. If that is the case then try right clicking TE.bat and selecting "Run as Administrator
    - For Steam users, just launch Rome Total War - Alexander" =)

Update History:
    - v1.1 (Hotfix; fixed a few text errors and added a British army to Ireland, in an attempt to encourage overseas AI expansion)

- v1.2 (New version with many improvements; eg. fixed stone wall crash, added barbarian cavalry to Britons and corrected Egypt not displaying proper UI interface)

- v1.3 (Fully revamped factions - Parthia, Pontus, Armenia, Numidia and Thrace; Seleucids now at war with Parthia and Baktria; intended to make things a harder challenge for the player and prevent the Seleucid AI from dominating the campaign map)

- v1.4 (Massive overhaul to existing mod - Roman and Carthaginian armies revamped and retextured with additional units, new Roman/Carthaginian general battle/strat models, animated water textures finally implemented for campaign map, new barbarian Naked Fanatics model, new mercenaries, many bugfixes; notably the climates in Egypt and other hot regions, the annoying descr_daytypes crash, new territories added to Britons and finally; mod transition to Alexander.exe in order to utilise its better AI!

- v1.5 (Revamped Greek City States; retextured units and now some cities have specific hoplites like Athens, Syracuse and Argos etc. Aforementioned hoplites + Spartans also added to mercenary pool (although theyre VERY rare and expensive!!). New Greek officers and few new reskins like Libyan Hoplites. Finally added new loading screens and a background to the game!)

- v1.6 (Added 2 mercenary units; Campanian Cavalry and Massilian Hoplites. Final bugfixes also included, like the Baktrian elaphra pikemen and the Carthaginian quinquereme EDB bug!)

- v1.7 (Few more bugfixes. Also more significantly I have decided to revert back to the RTW.exe instead of Alexander; I thought that it was best, due to installation complications with Steam users and to ensure that more people can play the mod. I should add that all the original units with 1.6 are STILL in v1.7; luckily I managed to find and delete a few more dummy units in the DMB file =D)

- v1.8 (Think I finally fixed the incessant CTD on startup crash I unwittingly introduced into the game. Also added Medieval 2 trees and vegetation to the stratmap: you should enjoy your campaign more now! Finally, I added 2 new units; the Hoplites of Corinth and Pergamum - both of which are available to mercenaries AND the Greek Cities).

- v1.9 (Fixed the Campaign loading CTD regarding the birch_001.tga file. You should have no problems now!)

- v2 (A severely LONG list of changes have been made):
    * It now runs on Alexander.exe; this was necessary in order to incorporate the new additions. Furthermore, the AI performs much better now (including naval invasions).
    * A small AOR system has been included: nothing fancy, just a few mercenary units that are now recruitable in various regions dotted throughout the map.
    * A new fully fleshed out faction: The Arabian Kingdom of Sabaea
    * Many new units (about 50-60 in all I think)
    * The popular "Force Diplomacy" script has been added; now in diplomatic discussions, press the ? mark at the top of the screen to force the enemy faction to accept your terms (try not to abuse it; it is intended to counter the daft AI)
    * Many new re-skins of pre-existing units.
    * New AI Advisors
    * New Battlemaps
    * And many more wee additions!

Bugs:
    - keep me updated; as of v2 there are none which I am aware of!

Credits:

- Lusted (for creating the great original which STILL has me enthralled after several years of gameplay!)
    - Iain (my primary mod tester - cheers for reporting the various glitches and bugs I had missed)
    - DVK, Tone and the Roma Surrectum II team (thanks lads for the terrain, graphics overhaul and new settlement/port strat models)
    - DimeBagHo and the XGM team (many of the elite greek/egyptian units)
    - Tony83 and the RTR Platinum team (many new unit reskins)
    - Ferres (for the new Roman skins)
    - Davide.Cool (for the Roman ships, watchtowers, and new greek and roman walls)
    - Lt1956 and the SPQR team (for some skins, notably the Parthian spearmen!)
    - Archaon (for the Campaign AI Ally mod)
    - Kylan271 (for advice and feedback regarding bugfixes!)
    - Julius Caesar Salad (for the invaluable fix for Steam users)
    - The Europa Barbarorum Team (for their amazing unit skins and many Sabaean units)
    - Alin (for his help with permissions)
    - Julius Caesar Salad (for the invaluable fix for Steam users)

Feedback is greatly appreciated; with your feedback I can release better updates that fix any bugs or problems. PM me if you have any questions or problems with the mod!
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; April 20, 2013 at 01:23 PM.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Xenophon's Overhaul (for TE Gold 0.7)

Looks cool! Downloading
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Ashton's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Xenophon's Overhaul (for TE Gold 0.7)

Nice ! I am downloading too

Default Re: Ab Urbe Condita (for TE Gold 0.7)

Let me know if theres any problems with the game startup; I've never managed to get my hands on another tester apart from myself =P

Game starts up all good and I tested one battle against Epirus as Rome (Almost won, but my infantry broke really quick from the phalanxes and elephants). I then ended turn and they attacked Capua with the remains of their army + some of Tarentum's garrison. The game crashed when it was halfway done loading. It didn't give an error message except for the generic program has stopped responding thing.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    Game starts up all good and I tested one battle against Epirus as Rome (Almost won, but my infantry broke really quick from the phalanxes and elephants). I then ended turn and they attacked Capua with the remains of their army + some of Tarentum's garrison. The game crashed when it was halfway done loading. It didn't give an error message except for the generic program has stopped responding thing.
    Thats unfortunately a bug I noticed while playing TE Gold. It IS rare, but seems to be related to the descr_weather types file. I'll see if I can find someone to gimme a hand with fixing the bugger ¬_¬

In the meantime, just reload and keep playing. Thanks for the feedback

EDIT - make that descr_daytypes. Derp ¬_¬

EDIT 2 - can you tell me anything more specific about the crash? Was it a night battle, in a city battle etc etc? Reason I'm asking is because I basically started a new campaign as the Romans, and commanded every battle for the past 2 hours personally without a single crash (conquered southern Italy and Greece) =/
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; March 28, 2011 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks for quick response and will do

Gaius Baltar's Avatar Old gods die hard
    Blog Entries

Looks promising, Ill add this to the stickies. Thanks,

​​
    Pillaging and Plundering since 2006

The House of Baltar

Neither is this the dawn from the east, nor is a dragon flying above, nor are the gables of this hall aflame. Nay, mortal enemies approach in ready armour. Ravens are calling, wolves are howling, spear clashes and shield answers

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Rush View Post
    Looks promising, Ill add this to the stickies. Thanks,
    Thanks mate =D

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Xenophon View Post
    Thats unfortunately a bug I noticed while playing TE Gold. It IS rare, but seems to be related to the descr_weather types file. I'll see if I can find someone to gimme a hand with fixing the bugger ¬_¬

In the meantime, just reload and keep playing. Thanks for the feedback

EDIT - make that descr_daytypes. Derp ¬_¬

EDIT 2 - can you tell me anything more specific about the crash? Was it a night battle, in a city battle etc etc? Reason I'm asking is because I basically started a new campaign as the Romans, and commanded every battle for the past 2 hours personally without a single crash (conquered southern Italy and Greece) =/
    It was a city battle that was going to happen. The Epirotes were using elephants in place of a siege weapon as well if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeys! View Post
    It was a city battle that was going to happen. The Epirotes were using elephants in place of a siege weapon as well if that helps.
    Thanks. I'll start a new campaign as Epirotes and besiege Cannae and Capua - in the meantime how is the game performing so far? Is it stable like?

UPDATE - got a crash myself there, in none other than Capua (playing as Epirus besieging the Romans at night). Reloaded and it ran 2nd time round fine. Tried in day and night battle again, both loaded fine. I think it IS that bloody daytypes file =/
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; March 29, 2011 at 08:27 AM.

Currently intending to upload version 2 very soon; will include the new eventpic fixes and other minor glitch corrections.

V1.2's up

- In the next release one of my ideas is to make the Seleucids start the main campaign at war with Baktria and Parthia (because I'm tired of them being superpowers throughout the game; in a way this also increases the challenge to the player).

- I also intend to overhaul the last nations in the game =)
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; March 29, 2011 at 09:09 PM.

Kylan271's Avatar Domesticus

I will rep you for this.

I tried your previous terrain modification and looked nice,but I was playing TE7 due to Charge's terrain texturing and was used to this. The new version however seems way out superb,a screen shot delight! I wanted to use the new RS-2 environment but failed in application. You fixed it so thanks for sorting it out.

Playtesting I saw no CTDs,albeit I was testing Baktria.

Currently I adapted 4t/year script-unofficially.
    Added 2nd tier Equestrian and Missile(to seperate slingers and javelins from archers)buildings.
    Added Mines +1-+4(as in plug inns).
    Using Riczu/RCB strategic map enhancements.

Samples for TE Alex,but not complete as waited for Variag 2 release,then got married and have baby on the way,then lost my PC,lol. So trying to sort myself out. I have a lot of Mod/Art consent for TE which I can support you with. I was hoping to place two TE7s,one being Rome unified familes,the other Rome 2 families(or 3) using Divus's Mod as a base-which I think is a way to say thanks for his work also-these being via the Alex engine.

There are some boo boos in your mod,not your fault as we have probs before,just play baktria and looksie at the phalanxes ^_*. The UNIT_GREEK_HOPLITE_MACEDON.TGA being wrong(wrongly labeled). I just got 3dsMax9 and Photoshop elements 7,but a while before I can work them.

Cheers

Phil

Oh forgot.

I suggest you rename the Mod

TEGEX

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    I will rep you for this.

I tried your previous terrain modification and looked nice,but I was playing TE7 due to Charge's terrain texturing and was used to this. The new version however seems way out superb,a screen shot delight! I wanted to use the new RS-2 environment but failed in application. You fixed it so thanks for sorting it out.

Playtesting I saw no CTDs,albeit I was testing Baktria.

Currently I adapted 4t/year script-unofficially.
    Added 2nd tier Equestrian and Missile(to seperate slingers and javelins from archers)buildings.
    Added Mines +1-+4(as in plug inns).
    Using Riczu/RCB strategic map enhancements.

Samples for TE Alex,but not complete as waited for Variag 2 release,then got married and have baby on the way,then lost my PC,lol. So trying to sort myself out. I have a lot of Mod/Art consent for TE which I can support you with. I was hoping to place two TE7s,one being Rome unified familes,the other Rome 2 families(or 3) using Divus's Mod as a base-which I think is a way to say thanks for his work also-these being via the Alex engine.

There are some boo boos in your mod,not your fault as we have probs before,just play baktria and looksie at the phalanxes ^_*. The UNIT_GREEK_HOPLITE_MACEDON.TGA being wrong(wrongly labeled). I just got 3dsMax9 and Photoshop elements 7,but a while before I can work them.

Cheers

Phil

Oh forgot.

I suggest you rename the Mod

TEGEX
    Thanks very much! - its hard to work out all the errors in the game when it's one person =P
    Only major problem is that bloody rare crash when transferring from campaign map to battlemap - I've no idea how to fix it (even though im almost certain its that descr_daytypes file) =P

And in time I might upload an alternative "3 Rome families" version, if its in high enough demand =)

Thanks again for the advice and + rep back to you!

Version 1.3 is up! Includes:

Fully revamped factions - Parthia, Pontus, Armenia, Numidia and Thrace

Few campaign tweaks.

Load up and enjoy

Conquistador and others put some fixes together already. Look at them and add as a patch.

I was looking at the Diplomacy issue,and think Campaign AI Ally mod is not working,going by his threads? Seleucids should be neutral to Baktria and both hostile to Parthia. Britons & Gauls allied,Britons & Germans hostile,going by historical notes. I did not know how to correctly alter this,so did not touch it. AI Diplomacy is broken on VH settings from what I know also.

AI pathfinding is altered by capital selected,if you have a capital nearby to an enemy then you will get attacked sooner than if further away(I use this delay tactic on Seleucids attacking Baktria-usually about 480ish).

Quote Originally Posted by Kylan271 View Post
    Conquistador and others put some fixes together already. Look at them and add as a patch.

I was looking at the Diplomacy issue,and think Campaign AI Ally mod is not working,going by his threads? Seleucids should be neutral to Baktria and both hostile to Parthia. Britons & Gauls allied,Britons & Germans hostile,going by historical notes. I did not know how to correctly alter this,so did not touch it. AI Diplomacy is broken on VH settings from what I know also.

AI pathfinding is altered by capital selected,if you have a capital nearby to an enemy then you will get attacked sooner than if further away(I use this delay tactic on Seleucids attacking Baktria-usually about 480ish).
    - I deliberately made Baktria and Parthia at war with the Seleucids, so that the Seleucids cant overrun the East and become ridiculously powerful. Iv kept Britannia and the Gauls unallied in order to give the Britons room to expand (and vice versa).

And that explains why the AI is always at my throat on VH =P

- Remember that this isnt fully accurate, its for more fun and a bit of a challenge!

EDIT - noticed the AI Ally problem. Think I've fixed it now. Testing....
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; March 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM.

I placed all nations on 'naval invasion yes' to make things interesting. The Barbs have probs with lack of low level units at town level,thus the AI barb does not build infantry as well as other cultures. If you place say Barb_infantry_slave for all Barb factions,makes more sense I think? Easterns have probs with Horse Archers placed in settlement as they don't skirmish well and attack instead. The first unit in settlement must be altered to a superior unit,ie Heavy Infantry or Cav,not a skirmish type. Must alter in desc_strat.

Lusted did not consider his game historical,so it is just a guide the Diplomacy issue.

I am trying to finish of some PI work(I lost my PC data recently,only now catching up),but I can give you some reworks if you want to experiment?

Are you able to use SPQR units? I need help there.

PS. You must credit each teams work you borrow and include here,ie SPQR units,FERRES,etc etc... I was trying to include several things but have not as waiting for consent from several people,but they are absent,or work not complete,ie Variag 2,or Luciano B.

masterex's Avatar Miles

new on this mod does it work in alextw or bi rtw 1.5

t h a n ks

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast