Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: TW Map Reader v2.24 [1-Jul-2015: update]

Default Re: TW Map Reader

thx for he info

too bad, this looked promising, for some reason the program is unable to recognise the color code i used in my map, despite the fact that these color codes appear correctly in game and I receive no errors.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Third Age does work, yes. It is the only one I tried myself beyond the originals from RTW and Kingdoms.

Default Re: TW Map Reader v1.5

Aha! Found the problem: it was incorrectly handling 32bit TGAs which GIMP seems to export. When I tried saving a working map from Photoshop as 32bit then I got the same problem.

The new version (1.5) should do the trick. I gave it a test run on your maps dutchsoldier. Confirmations of other mod maps working would be appreciated.

thank you so much

No worries. I'm glad that you found and reported the problem so I could fix it.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Sorry to disappoint.

Rage of dark Gods: map_regions has only the pixel stripe, others display correctly. No errors tab, only this on screen message:

1648: All maps have either no display or the pixel stripe. Onscreen message (entries from error tab in 16483.zip file - too big)

I have attached the map_regions file from 1648 as well - there is no settlement pixel at the given graphic co-ordinates.

The Sundering: same as 1648. Text from error tab attached as Sundering.zip file. Onscreen message:

The map_regions for The Sundering is attached.

Last edited by Gigantus; August 09, 2012 at 04:02 AM.

What do you mean "pixel stripe"? As dutchsoldier was getting at the beginning? I think that was due to RLE compression being used.

I can't open the map on its own (in the reader). Could you give me all five files?

Blog Entries

Yup, just like the compressed pic problem. Attached the three mod's files (no directory tree)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Yup, just like the compressed pic problem. Attached the three mod's files (no directory tree)
    Thanks. I'll take a look but I suspect that the problem is simply that compression has been used with these maps. The tool can't read compressed formats (I now know).

Default Re: TW Map Reader v1.5.1

... yep, compression was the culprit: some of those map images are compressed. When I saved them again without compression then they all worked in the reader. Except that Sundering's light red sea is an unrecognised colour so still a lot of error messages in that one.

The new version - 1.5.1 - now looks for compression and throws an error message if it detects it.

Blog Entries

It's probably also the reason (the compression reading problem) why Geomod generates uncompressed TGAs. Seeing that GIMP compresses by default maybe add a note at the beginning of this thread how to avoid that?

I also use GIMP the program successfully told me that the features map was compressed... so what now? what do i need to do?

Blog Entries

Open the file and save it in GIMP using 'Save As' and then uncheck the RLE option:

I tried it with BC and the TWMapReader worked correctly.
    But what I want to ask you, if it is possible to integrate the RGB-color of the pile in the map_regions.tga in your export like > 12,146,hills,R255,G125,B0 < or something like this.
    So we can know from every pile to which region it belong, this could be very useful to set resources, spawn armies etc.

I have never made a map myself but would not the region name be more helpful than RGB numbers? I could do both I suppose.

The region name would be fine too. What's easier for you.
    For me it is the same. I'm writing on a vb-app for MSexcel, which can read all your data (not mapping) files. It will build a workbook and a database, which will allow you easy and clearly to edit your files.
    The coordinates of the settlement are very important datas and are needed for the database. It will make a easy doing to set your town-armies in the descr_strat and f.e. in a garrison-script.

If I would have a .txt-list with the colors of every pile, I can build an array with all information. The array can be visualised in an excel-sheet (1 pile = 1 cell, you will see the map almost in the correct dimenson).
    With a click on the cell(pile) you will get any information you want, respectively we have. So it will be fine, if we will have the RGB of the ground_types, map_features, map_regions.
    (f.e.: 25,125,(not)walkable|:ground|R|G|B|:region|R|G|B|:feature|R|G|B<chr(10)> )
    The reading of the data-files will give all color-datas and so it's easy to know the classification of every color.
    The use of range will be:
    the exact setting of ressources - for me its one of the most important things. it manage your income and therefore the balance of the game. you can make towns rich or poor.......
    descr_strat - ressources, armies
    scripting - exact and easy placement of spawned armies. events when character is on pile .....
    This and more you can do after with a click on a cell(pile).

Default Re: TW Map Reader v1.6

v1.6 released: tile export now has "extended info" option.

Give that a shot whoGo.

Default Re: TW Map Reader v1.6

YEAH
    that's great and quickly work, exact what I needed.
    So if you want we can make the TWMapReader to a fix componente of the MTW-WorldBuilder (WoB, this will be the name of my VB-app).
    First step will be to create your map, then make the mapping-files with TWMapReader to datas and after you have a much more easier modding. The only thing is, it will take some time to finsh WoB.

I see, you understand to work and script grafic-programms (that's not my area). So I have another question. Is there any way to export the UI-.tga-pics to .jpg, but not by hand, they are more than tousand .
    If we have the Unit- and BuildingCards as .jpg I can integrate them to Excel (can not read .tga). So you can see f.e. to every unit when editing its UI-card.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast