Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is pest control right?

Default Re: Is pest control right?

Pest control is definitely necessary.

However it would be foolish to regard all hunting as pest control. Often it's just a bit of sociopathic fun.

You sometimes have to kill things off to preserve other species and the general ecology of an environment. Most hunting is really just for sport, not really my cup of tea but as long as they don't use dogs. Hunting for fod seems fair enough to me though meat doesn't get more free range than that.
    Last edited by Helm; March 24, 2011 at 04:03 PM.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    Cute has nothing to do with it. A feral population of dogs or cats or pigs can be be pests certainly, but be fair dogs, cats and pigs were domesticated for a reason. I don't know where you live but in the rural area I live in my 3 house cats and 4 barn cats are working animals and certainly not pests.
    I might also add that I'm in the extra-ordinary circumstance of being highly allergic to cats. Even the slightest of cat hair in my system will clog my air vents and blow my eyes up to the size of tomatoes. Ergo, the only good cat on my territory, is a dead cat 6 feet under.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

I might also add that I'm in the extra-ordinary circumstance of being highly allergic to cats. Even the slightest of cat hair in my system will clog my air vents and blow my eyes up to the size of tomatoes. Ergo, the only good cat on my territory, is a dead cat 6 feet under.
    That however is a personal issue, many people are allergic to bees that does not make Honey Bees from a societal perspective pests. So your allergic to Cats that fine, just one animal if the allergy is that serious how bout rats or raccoons or mice etc. Why not state that from the outset since that kind of puts you in a completely different class in the argument - also no matter how allergic you walking out to you car where a cat may have been 12 hours before is hardly a problem so statement is still a bit odd.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Helm View Post
    You sometimes have to kill things off to preserve other species and the general ecology of an environment.
    Ya, that is why we have war occasionaly - to kill pests call human and save Earth environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

That however is a personal issue, many people are allergic to bees that does not make Honey Bees from a societal perspective pests.
    It's a personal issue for me directly yes, but it's a factor which affect my whole society indirectly non the less. My society have to take precaution about what animals they decide to have when I as an individual is highly allergic to cats (and they are or will be aware of it). A cat isn't like a dog you keep on your leech or in your own private territory. A cat is an individualistic animal, who roams any territory which suits it's need. Be that my front door, porch, post box, inside car park, etc. The same way any one highly allergic to Honey Bees can't live anywhere even remotely close to a Honey Bee farm. He would have a great chance to die or end up in hospital by simply walking outside his door. Thus the animal is a social pest, not just personal issue. Can you see my position and how that makes cats just as much as a pest to my society as any other pest animal? At least in a suburban area.

So your allergic to Cats that fine, just one animal if the allergy is that serious how bout rats or raccoons or mice etc.
    I know it also includes bunny's. I had an extreme case as a kid were things ended very horribly, close to fatal. Just by me walking in the same area were one of those cute furry things had been many hours earlier. I don't know about other animals.

Why not state that from the outset since that kind of puts you in a completely different class in the argument
    That's true.

also no matter how allergic you walking out to you car where a cat may have been 12 hours before is hardly a problem so statement is still a bit odd.
    I don't live in a rural area were the likelihood of being killed by a cat hair is a small issue. Suburban areas is a whole different matter that way were people live much more close each other and affect each much more.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Quote Originally Posted by hellheaven1987 View Post
    Ya, that is why we have war occasionaly - to kill pests call human and save Earth environment.
    A population can sometimes regulate itself.

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by conon394
    many people are allergic to bees that does not make Honey Bees from a societal perspective pests
    Just because you mentioned bees...

The sad thing about bees is that the majority of stinging pollinators in the western hemisphere are actually exotic invaders that were introduced from Asia, Africa, and Europe to help pollinate crops. Most of our native bees don't sting, and are non-colonial; they aren't aggressive and won't chase after you. I said it's sad because allergic reactions to bees, some causing deaths, is yet another result of negative human interference in the natural environment.

Ah, I've just been studying insects lately, so it's on my mind.
    I am also reminded of MC "Knows Too Many Facts About Bees".

Carry on, good sirs.
    Last edited by LSJ; March 25, 2011 at 05:25 PM.

Necessary, for a greater good.

Remember, there's a life outside the boundries of the city you live in
    "He who wishes to be the best for his people, must do that which is necessary - and be willing to go to hell for it."

Let the Preservation, Advancement and Evolution of Mankind be our Greater Good.

And NO, my avatar is the coat of arms from the Teutonic Knightly Order because they're awesome.

Yea, life that can rip your face off if pissed.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

It depends really. I think it is stupid to claim that we still need to snare foxes in this day and age to protect our chickens, what a ridiculous notion. On the other hand, where we have broken a link in the ecological web, eg in Britain removing the natural predators which kept deer in check, it is necessary to implement control methods.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Vezon's Avatar Miles

Yes. Killing pests, such as mosqitos, flies, and rats is needed to help prevent disease, filth(rat poop), and promote general human comfort(who wants to smell a rat nest during dinner?). As for hunting, unless your a farmer and a coyote is eating your goats/pigs/sheep, then if you shoot it, it hunting, not pest control. And hunting is perfectly moral. To PETA, I say this:If it is wrong to hunt and kill animals, then why are we physically able to digest meat? With a few exceptions, all religions are okay with it(hunting and also just eating animals). And if your an atheist, then I can say that if eating animals is wrong, then why do bears and chimps do it? Bears are omnivores, and so are chimps. An I KNOW chimps can survive strictly on a herbivorious diet(okay, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure).

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    It depends really. I think it is stupid to claim that we still need to snare foxes in this day and age to protect our chickens, what a ridiculous notion.
    Well people growing chicken in non-industrial facility will have to protect them from predators. They do exist.

Dead chicken means no good to business.

Though I admit that you could manage it without actually killing the predator.
    Last edited by HansDuet; March 26, 2011 at 07:07 PM.

Idwayreth's Avatar Centenarius

inhumane to me is hunting them for sport. hunting them for food or for population control is fine by me
    If God were a man he'd be me.

At first i simply observed. But i found that without investment in others, life serves no purpose.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12