Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [TWS2 AAR] The Prodigal Son

Default Re: [TWS2 AAR] The Prodigal Son

Great job with the AAR I may add

Very creative + rep
    Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that- in chaos. The world is born from zero. The moment the world becomes one, is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes two, two becomes ten, ten becomes one hundred. Taking it all back to one solves nothing. So long as zero remains, one will eventually grow to one hundred again. - Big Boss

Hello again and thank you all for your comments. I'm sorry it didn't work out with June, but now I'm carefully coming back to writing (no promises). I decided that The Legacy deserved an update first, since it has been on hold a bit longer, so I'd appreciate if you'd take a look in there, too. Thanks in advance and see you later.

Read my AARs:
    The Legacy of Megas Alexandros (Europa Barbarorum as Arche Seleukeia)
    The Prodigal Son (Shogun 2 as Mori)
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

The master has returned yay! It's been awefully quiet in the Shogun 2 AAR section so I hope you will remedy that little problem welcome back, my friend!

Chapter 11: Cleanup

I put my standard up on the hill and send out my officers to halt the hunt for heads and gather the men. It was time to take stock, although I already knew that our casualties were few. I had but one province at my call and the Samurai I brought from Aki were not numerous. It would soon become imperative to start winning Samurai families native to Kyushu to my cause. I paused my thoughts for a moment and reflected on that. Never before had I thought to have "a cause" of my own. It felt good.

A number of riders emerged from the fog. Nagano Munekata lifted his hand as a salute. "A good day's work, Takamoto-san!" he called with a smile on his lips, although it quickly faded.

"Albeit I fear I can not rest my head on it. Comes the morning the Ouchi will march north again. Today we gave the Shoni a beating, but the Sagara rear their head." Munekata spit out.

"Takamoto-san, I would like you to make sure the Shoni don't regroup." I nodded. It was in my – my cause's – best interest to take care of that.

Before the sun had risen, we broke camp. The Ouchi went north and I marched south towards Osumi province. To be precise, I put Saburo in charge of the army to destroy whatever was left of Daimyo Sukemoto's army, while I took my horsemen and raced ahead to Kanoya castle. It was the last Shoni stronghold in southern Kyushu and I wanted my banner atop its walls, destroying any Shoni Samurai's hope to gather new resistance, while adding a second province to my slowly growing domain.

The garrison didn't know what happened until it was to late. They felt safe behind their gates, never expecting to find them open when needed most.

Read my AARs:
    You like a good reading? Then check out the homepage of our fellow TWC-member Theodotos I at www.stephenwrites.com!

Awesome to see this is being continued.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Thank you! Don't expect too much though, I rarely get around to write.

Read my AARs:

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

Anything is enough!

Civis

I gotta say I love the angle you've taken with this story, particularily with the whole "son in exile" concept. I can't wait to see what the future holds for Takamoto and his new clan.

Chapter 12: Considerations

I took my time watching the whitish liquid that was filled in my Masu, a quadratic wooden jar, before lifting it to my lips. I sipped from the warm Sake, cautiously, so not to spill any.

Saburo, who sat face-to-face with me, did the same. "In a week, maybe less, the regiments will be assembled and we will march to make war on the Sagara."

For the first time Samurai native to Kyushu would march among my men: Before I had to rely only on those who had chosen to follow me from Chugoku, the region where my father's provinces were situated. I had made the experience that the Samurai of Kyushu were able swordsmen. Their allegiance would bring honour to my banner and it could only be beneficial for me to blend the warriors from both islands.

I finished my Sake and put down the Masu. The numbers of my army had grown strong and I felt that its assembled strength would be a sight to inspire justified pride.

"With our swords at his side Munekata will find favourable prospects to vanquish the Sagara and what remains of Clan Shoni," I stated.

I took a regretful look into my empty Masu and stood up. Saburo followed my lead and cleared his throat.

"Takamoto-sama, I could not help but notice your choice of words. It seems you view this campaign as an opportunity only for another. If it is my place, I gladly would offer my advice," he calmly explained.

"It is your place," I emphasized. "You are my dear friend and more a brother to me than those who share their parents with me. Never shall there be a time when you feel you can not be completely open with me."

Saburo slightly bowed. "Takamoto-sama, I am thankful for that sentiment."

He stepped towards me while continuing to speak. "I advise you to think about your role – in this conflict and on this island."

"Would you care to elaborate?" I inquired.

"Become clear about what you owe – and what you do not owe. You are a big name now," Saburo continued. "You don't have to – nor can you afford to – continue to simply follow. You rule two of the Tenno's provinces, you are Daimyo. Daimyo do not follow," he declared.

He was very close now and his voice not much more than a whisper.

"Do you intend to remain the servant of a Lord who would not deign to come to this island to fight his battles? Are you content with a weak master's gratuities," Saburo inquired. "Or do you wish to be your own master?"

We stood silently for a few moments, until I raised the corners of my mouth to a slight smile. "My Saburo-san, I come to believe you know me better than I do myself."

Read my AARs:

FirstLaw's Avatar Libertus

Glad to see this isn't completely dead. I like your style, keep up the good work! +rep
    "There are no men like me. There is only me."

Quote Originally Posted by FirstLaw View Post
    Glad to see this isn't completely dead. I like your style, keep up the good work! +rep
    Thank you. No, it is not dead. I've just finished typing a (hopefully) exciting sword fight. It's still some time till we get there, but I'm looking forward to it, because I think I did rather well.

Read my AARs:

I looked up this thread from pure nostalgia and noticed that I never actually explained here why I didn't continue this - I only mentioned the reason in my other AAR.

What happened is, I created a folder to back up the saves and screen shots on an external drive, but when I came back to it later I found that I never actually copied the files over before whatever I did with my PC happened. So, sadly, it really is completely dead.

However! The sword fight I mentioned in my previous post from four and a half years ago (lol) still exists. Since I think I did a pretty decent job with it (maybe a little too much "I"...), I'd like to share.

Not much context is necessary: The protagonist and his people continue to establish his power on Kyushu. When they strike against clan Sagara's last stronghold it's the protagonist himself fighting his way towards the enemy Daimyo.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    As I entered the main hall another armoured Samurai attacked me. I caught his cut with my blade and one moment we stood face to face, our weapons pressed against each other. This moment taught me all I needed to know about my opponent. I felt how the swords' lock was more demanding on his strength than on mine and through the holes in his Mempo – mask – I saw the fear in his eyes.

I allowed my Katana to be pushed back just a little bit, angled it along my left side, and my challenger – finally betraying himself an inexperienced fighter – stumbled forward, surprised by the absence of resistance against his push, as his blade slipped alongside mine, harmlessly past my body.

I kicked against his shin and brought my blade around low and without effort pushed its tip through the soft tissue of his armpit deep inside the young man's chest.

His Katana hit the ground with a metallic sound and, turning with his slowly falling body that still enclosed my blade, it took me a moment to realize that I must just have killed the Daimyo's son. Almost too long a moment.

I felt the second attacker more than I saw or heard him. I released the swordgrip, spun around and parried my new opponent's strike with my forearm's steel braces. His blade was deflected and bit into the outer edge of my Kosode – shoulder guard – without harming me. Then I hammered both my fists into the other man's mask, as hard as I possibly could. When he stumbled back, I turned back, violently ripped my Katana out of the dead prince and once again whirled around, ready to parry another strike, yet the adversary had given me some room and now waited for me to prepare myself.

His armour bore the insignia of Daimyo Sagara and I gestured toward Mokuyo, who had just arrived, to stay out of this. I breathed deeply and gathered my strength. I knew that Daimyo Sagara was significantly older than I was. Without being presumptuous, it was a good bet that he no longer possessed the quickness and strength of his youth. It was my turn to put this to the test.

With a suppressed shout I surged forward and started a series of quick, hard strikes. From above my right, from above my left, above my left, below my right. Sagara parried each attack, but he had increasing difficulties to keep up with my fierce assault, and in a moment's notice I knew how to end my series of attacks.

I feinted a strike at his left shoulder, but instead I build momentum and with a blow in which I invested every bit of strength I had I hit his righ thigh, right between the kneeguard and the plates that reach down from the torso. It was a weak point of every armour and I felt my sword cutting deep into my opponent's thigh. An expression of pain escaped his lips and he struggled to stay on his left leg, when I retracted my blade.

The assault had exhausted me, so I backed away a few steps. I did not want to overreach, as a fight always becomes most dangerous when you try to force its end. But now, seeing the Daimyo's trouble with just staying upright, I felt guilty about playing with him. He was a warrior and he deserved a quick death.

I lifted my sword above my head and charged again. Sagara reacted with a weak effort and tried to intercept my blade, but I just slipped past his defence. I was right by his side and brought him to his knees with a blow by my elbow. I dropped the Katana without a thought and with my right hand I grabbed his helmet and twisted his head around, while at the same time my left closed around my Wakizashi in an underhand grip. With one motion I draw the short blade and slashed it into my enemy's exposed throat. With a gulping sound a gash of blood freed itself from the wound and I gently guided the dead man's body to the ground.

Well, that was it. Rest in peace, The Prodigal Son.

Read my AARs:

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Well, you were right, that's an exciting sword fight!

I'm sorry everything else was lost, though; it's a shame we won't have the opportunity to read any of it. Of course, you could always write us a new AAR... (hint, hint )

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    Well, you were right, that's an exciting sword fight!

I'm sorry everything else was lost, though; it's a shame we won't have the opportunity to read any of it. Of course, you could always write us a new AAR... (hint, hint )
    Hehe, maybe some day.

Read my AARs:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234