Thread: Modding NTW vs Kingdoms

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Default Modding NTW vs Kingdoms

Hi,

I didn't attempt to mod or buy any games after Kingdoms as they were reported as being less moddable than previous versions. In fact I did not buy them for that reason.

However looking at some of the options in the tutorial thread I can't figure what the disadvantage is for modders of NTW over Kingdoms.

Could someone briefly explain to me in general terms what the limitations or advantages are with NTW. Ideally if you reply you have also modded in Kingdoms.

Thanks

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Default Re: Modding NTW vs Kingdoms

I've never modded Kingdoms so it's hard to tell, but i would say the DB System is rather limiting, since it's pretty tight tied to the exe.
    In many cases, which are more "special" then the usual unit stats changes, you often come to a point, where you recognize that it's either hardcoded or the db system is to unflexible.
    There are also things, which seam to be implemented in hurry, since those are are not proper implemented in the DB code, and so semi-hardcoded (the puckle gun would be an example).

ESF Editing is horrible and chances that you break something are high.

Scripting might solve some Issues, though (depends on what you want to do, of course).
    Last edited by Primergy; March 17, 2011 at 05:45 PM.

there's a thread in my sig that explains what is and isn't moddable in NTW/ETW. Some of it is a little dated, but you get the gist
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Byg's Avatar Read The Manual
    Patrician

Thanks all, I looked at some of your other contributions before.

NEW BGR V 20150324! . . . . . . . .. . . .BGRIV_E