Thread: >_> shameful display...

Default >_> shameful display...

I'm gonna tell you a story. About 160 Brave warriors. These Katana Samurai.. had armor and weapons fashioned from the finest materials. They trained tirelessly, everyday so that 1 day they could serve their lord on the battlefield.

That day finally came.

They charged magnificently into battle, sword held high, screaming and yelling to frighten their enemies.

They Clashed into the enemy line, flashes of steel and blood. 1...2... and then another samurai fell in glorious battle. As they fought, they knew some of them would not make it.. the number of their dead reached 10..

and they ran away.

150 of 160 brave samurai warriors WERE ROUTED BY 2 UNITS OF YARI ASHIGARU!!!... no seriously... they even had +1 weapons and armour.. they ran in, kill like 30 enemies, lost 10 men and fled...

le sigh.

(and yes I'm aware that I am a bro, and this is a cool story)

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: >_> shameful display...

lol @ the last part.

Can't say I've seen this happen with Samurai, but I've routed enemy Ashigaru off the field even when they've taken zero casualties which I suppose is understandable if their general is dead and they are the only unit left.

Raimeken's Avatar Senator

I've routed units without doing a single thing to them, just because I killed the general

It seems like the AI kind of knows when it has been beaten... Not 100%, they will still throw Bow Ashigaru into melee with my Samuri or up castle walls to be butchered, but yes if the general dies or if almost all of their units have routed the break. I have seen units that took no damage at all flee when the last of their melee troops were killed. Even my own troops seem to have this mentality to some extent, instead of standing and dying with honor they ran away when the chips where down.

PopBot's Avatar Libertus

Wow that is surprising. What difficulty were you playing on? I've definitely done the exact same thing, but my samurai merrily killed every last ashigaru while taking relatively few casualties. In fact, I've done that same thing in pretty much every battle (using samurai as shock troops to break a part of the line, then roll em up).

Want to play as minor factions? Check out HusserlTW's excellent mod!

Quote Originally Posted by PopBot View Post
    Wow that is surprising. What difficulty were you playing on? I've definitely done the exact same thing, but my samurai merrily killed every last ashigaru while taking relatively few casualties. In fact, I've done that same thing in pretty much every battle (using samurai as shock troops to break a part of the line, then roll em up).
    Me too, maybe there's unseen morale-modifiers at work in the game. I wish the encyclopedia was more comprehensive....

Then again, I too have seen an army on the verge of victory rout, because I beat some of their units. Honestly, if they'd kept at it five more minutes I'd have been slaughtered, but they ran, and then they all ran. And I'm left with a couple of knackered units sat there wondering wth just happened.