Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

  1. #1
    gilgalad's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The crumbling American Republic
    Posts
    75

    Default Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Hello, I did not find any thread on this so I apologize if someone has proposed this already for an Earlier start date:

    MOD Proposal: Basically, I was wondering if anyone has already, plans to, or would like to make a mod for SS 6.4 (or other popular Kingdoms mod) that starts ca. 1050, before the papacy commissions the retaking of Christian lands from muslims in Spain & S. Italy, and the taking of Britain and perhaps others I am not familiar with. I am mostly thinking of the Normans missions as vassals of Rome to take Britain and S. Italy. These, and the earlier requests to take Spain back-later commisioned to the Leon rulers, as pre-crusades.

    I lack the programing skill to change all the royal families and give the proper units, etc. But you could make it fairly simple and have Sicily and England in control of one region each in N. France (around or in Normandy) and at the right date give them missions from Rome (with great $$$ reward) to take Sicily (from a sizable Turk of muslim rebel force) and, at a later date, London (from a rebel English force) respectfully. Also, Jerusalem emergent ca. 1096, or even put them as modest rulers of Lyon or somewhere in France with a mission to take Jerusalem sometime after 1090. The later way would make the crusades more varied each playing as another kingdom may take Antioch or Jerusalem but the Jerusalem faction would be in the region by 1100-most likely that is. This somewhat represents the move of viking/norman/franks to begin taking over the world and simply put the start date back further than any mods I have seen.

    Well, just a suggestion. And thanks to all the mods like SS and its subs that have greatly improved ME2TW
    Last edited by gilgalad; March 15, 2011 at 05:12 PM.

  2. #2
    Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Check in the mod thread about it, there's plenty of mod around plus I saw one that follow your proposal. If you wish, just start a project just like me

  3. #3

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by gilgalad View Post
    Hello, I did not find any thread on this so I apologize if someone has proposed this already for an Earlier start date:

    MOD Proposal: Basically, I was wondering if anyone has already, plans to, or would like to make a mod for SS 6.4 (or other popular Kingdoms mod) that starts ca. 1050, before the papacy commissions the retaking of Christian lands from muslims in Spain & S. Italy, and the taking of Britain and perhaps others I am not familiar with. I am mostly thinking of the Normans missions as vassals of Rome to take Britain and S. Italy. These, and the earlier requests to take Spain back-later commisioned to the Leon rulers, as pre-crusades.

    I lack the programing skill to change all the royal families and give the proper units, etc. But you could make it fairly simple and have Sicily and England in control of one region each in N. France (around or in Normandy) and at the right date give them missions from Rome (with great $$$ reward) to take Sicily (from a sizable Turk of muslim rebel force) and, at a later date, London (from a rebel English force) respectfully. Also, Jerusalem emergent ca. 1096, or even put them as modest rulers of Lyon or somewhere in France with a mission to take Jerusalem sometime after 1090. The later way would make the crusades more varied each playing as another kingdom may take Antioch or Jerusalem but the Jerusalem faction would be in the region by 1100-most likely that is. This somewhat represents the move of viking/norman/franks to begin taking over the world and simply put the start date back further than any mods I have seen.

    Well, just a suggestion. And thanks to all the mods like SS and its subs that have greatly improved ME2TW
    Well that would be one very unrealistic sub-mod. The Pope did not commision the Norman adventurers to do what they did... they acted open their own accords... all over Europe.

  4. #4
    gilgalad's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The crumbling American Republic
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
    Well that would be one very unrealistic sub-mod. The Pope did not commision the Norman adventurers to do what they did... they acted open their own accords... all over Europe.
    Not sure where you get your history from but the Pope did in fact ask or invite, as some crusade and medieval scholars put it, to take S. Italy, Spain for fear of Muslim expansion that was threating Rome itself. The results on such endeavors are never what is intended, just as the 1st crusade was supposed to help the Romans regain the Holy Land and other lands lost to Muslims.

    Actually, the opening for Sicily in the game even says as much. And the pope did ask for the retaking of Spain starting in the 8th or 9th century (I forget which), it of course took until 1492 when Spain was an empire and was more or less telling the Pope what to do. So, my suggestion is for a historical mod, as much as possible.
    Last edited by gilgalad; March 15, 2011 at 08:20 PM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by gilgalad View Post
    Not sure where you get your history from but the Pope did in fact ask or invite, as some crusade and medieval scholars put it, to take S. Italy, Spain for fear of Muslim expansion that was threating Rome itself. The results on such endeavors are never what is intended, just as the 1st crusade was supposed to help the Romans regain the Holy Land and other lands lost to Muslims.

    Actually, the opening for Sicily in the game even says as much. And the pope did ask for the retaking of Spain starting in the 8th or 9th century (I forget which), it of course took until 1492 when Spain was an empire and was more or less telling the Pope what to do. So, my suggestion is for a historical mod, as much as possible.
    edit.... I don't want to get into it here lol.

  6. #6
    SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,219

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
    Norman adventurers to do what they did... they acted open their own accords... all over Europe.

  7. #7
    gilgalad's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The crumbling American Republic
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by ashenhigh View Post
    edit.... I don't want to get into it here lol.
    Then why bring it up?? I was posting on changes to a video game but everytime someone puts a reference to something in history they are corrected by someone who THINKS they know all about it. I am not a crusade or medieval hisotrian but I have read a handful of books on the subject just this year and ALL of them, yea ALL of them, referenced papal involvement in Norman expeditions and conquests before the 1st crusade! As well as encouraging the reconquest of Spain and purifing Italy and Sicily of all non-Latin Christians.

    So, if what I wrote is wrong, the scholars who work in translating and writing about the middle ages are wrong so someone should let them know.

    So I can certainly see why you do not want to get into it here as I called you out. To Paraphrase Urban II: Let those who once fought against brothers, now fight against enemies of Christ, did NOT start in 1095 but much earlier.
    Last edited by gilgalad; March 16, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

  8. #8
    gilgalad's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The crumbling American Republic
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    Check in the mod thread about it, there's plenty of mod around plus I saw one that follow your proposal. If you wish, just start a project just like me

    I will look again but I have not found the mod you mentioned. I may try an read some of the moding tutorials myself. I would like to add more settlement in the West as I do not venture into Iran or the steps when playing. England, Spain, Italy, & the Levant could all use more castles and towns.

  9. #9
    Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by gilgalad View Post
    I will look again but I have not found the mod you mentioned. I may try an read some of the moding tutorials myself. I would like to add more settlement in the West as I do not venture into Iran or the steps when playing. England, Spain, Italy, & the Levant could all use more castles and towns.
    That's funny, my project aim the West of Europe , the difference is it starts more later; 1245.

  10. #10
    SonofPeverel's Avatar GLORY TOTHE BROTHERHOOD
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,219

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    That's funny, my project aim the West of Europe , the difference is it starts more later; 1245.
    I hear its a really good project

  11. #11
    Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    3,338

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by SonofPeverel View Post
    I hear its a really good project

  12. #12
    gilgalad's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The crumbling American Republic
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzantium guard View Post
    That's funny, my project aim the West of Europe , the difference is it starts more later; 1245.
    Thats good too. I will look for it. Placing new settlements seems the biggest challage to me so it might even work to take the familes and starting armies from SS now and adapting them to a mod like yours.

  13. #13
    Grouchio's Avatar Vicarius
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Scarborough, Maine U.S.A
    Posts
    2,809

    Default Re: Norman conquest mod proposal: Earlier start date

    Whattabout 1000? Found the kingdom of Hungary, creating Canute's Empire, Brian Boru, yada yada.


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •