Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Oda Campaign Guide

Gaius Marius Maximus's Avatar Miles

Default Re: The Oda Campaign Guide

Quote Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS ts View Post

And here shows that it unlocks all previouse levels as well if you finish at legendary ...

you complete the compaign at very hard difficulty and at the Legendary difficulty! at the same day! i'am just kidding lol your are the next Shogun of japon

Playing Oda on Legendary currently.. at turn 17. My first moves go like this.

1. Position General outside the Fort to the point where it can assist with an attack. Once there send Oda Nobuhide out to attack the Rebels. They will of course flee... Send your Army with the troops again towards the Rebels to the point where they can assist. Have Oda challenge the rebels again and fight the battle(DO NOT DO AUTO RESOLVES... they are the sure way to fail of Legendary). Once the Rebel army is destroy take your General with the troops into a position near the bridge blocking the rival clan to the north from crossing without having to fight. Take Oda and bring him back into the castle.
    1a. Produce 2 Bow Units and work on irrigation.
    1b. (Optional) Ally with the western factions and hope Hattori doesn't rip the entire west to pieces forcing you at war with them.

2. The next turn you should see Saito? forces move towards your eastern borders. Tokugawa should be within a hair's length from your castle at this point... Attack Tokugawa with all your units using Oda or whichever General you wish who doesn't have soldiers in the fight intiate the battles. It makes it far easier to run down enemies if you simply have an army of troops assisting that can easily come into the battles that don't have to move much. Due to the fact you can be swiftly destroyed if you're too far from your Fort. Once Tokugawa is dispatched from your lands and hopefully his army shattered from the fight... positon your army to block Saito forces from burning your farm in the radius given. While still being able in range to support the Keep if needed while allowing Oda to be part of the battle. (More Exp the better...)
    2a. Build two Oda Yari Ashigaru
    2b. Trade, trade and more trade (nom nom nom)
    2c. Get more allies around your borders if you wish to. The Eastern Green faction is indeed someone you don't want to mess with too early in the game with their near full banner sitting there...

3. Saito forces will now move in but, do nothing... this next step is extremely lame and I know it isn't fair. With Saito forces inside your lands quickly take over their province elimnating their entire banner inside your lands. By this 3rd turn you should be given a quest to invade a province for bonus soldiers. With Saito out of the way you now only need to deal with Tokugawa and Ima. With two cities to pump out troops you can easily claim the coastland and get an excessive amounts of trade.
    3a. Foritfy your capital.
    3b. Rebuild and sate the possible revolts in your new city.

4. Pretty much after this you just kill the last two rival clans unless you wish to make Imagawa a vassal nation after you break them to prevent early Takeda/Hojo Wars. If you do go the route of simply destroying Imagawa make sure to ally them ASAP or you'll become invaded rather quickly.

1. Overall never autoresolve a battle when the odds look against you. You only autoresolve battles that involve you winning easily such as a seige to avoid possible deaths from towers/defending units.
    2. Play extremely aggressive... the time given in this game feels extremely limited so you need to push fast.
    3. Make Allies or perish under the weight of 2 or more enemies.
    4. As Oda you need to be quick at the first 4-6 turns or you will lose.

Oye how in blazes do you guys do it?

As the Oda on VH, I was able to beat the Tokugawa and expand all the way to defeating Satomi.

I am now at war with Hattori and the Usegui, whose suppose to be an ally, decides to betray me.

This is turn 34 and I am having a had time deciding how to build up enough defences so I can go on the offensive and beat back the Hattori.

Of course it doesn't help the fact that clans like the Ito that are on the other side of the map decide to declare war on me.

How in the world do you keep the alliances? I even researched extra chi points for diplomacy and I wasn't even expanding too much either.

I'm having a lot of fun with the Oda as VH but it just seems extremely difficult that I may have to pull back to normal.

When you hovr with the mouse on the clans it tells you a series of data about his relation even if you have an ally and his stats are like -120 he will probably betray you , also consider the reputation , if is a thrusted one probably will be like so , if his reputation is questionable well ... you make the math ...

The main point of my strategy was get diplomatic relations and grow in peace , so you need to focus on the Chi way and the diplomatic bonuses , those will help a lot in managing the clans ...
    do not expand too much , or wait that they "forget ur expansions" , as you expand you add points in minus , especially if you expand at their expenses ... always keep your word and also rise your Daimyo honor , by never sacking cities etc , so the trick is mostly control the points stats of each clan and manage to make them all positive ... make comercial treaties with everyone , marriages etc all that is needed to keep them quite , make also the right allies , you wouln't like to find in a war couse of your ally enemies ...
    Last edited by PROMETHEUS ts; March 21, 2011 at 02:34 AM.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Thanks for the help guys

Tried again on Legendary, it is about the same battle diffculty as very hard and diplomatic wise about the same. Made a mistake though of making a vassal of Imagawa and when Hojo and Takeda declared war on them I stuck with them.... Game Over man as they had like combined five full stacks. So never make a Vassal of Imagawa note to one self.

I noticed the AI spawned stack seems to get 5/6 Samurai katana and 2 yari Samurai and the rest is ashigura. Big ouch not being able to save as one mistake at the start and it's curtains, I can imagine later on though after you have a few stacks then it's ok.

Got bored of ODA so doing Legendary with Hojo, just about to take my sixth provence at around 1551 and at war with nobody but rebels but Imagawa looking like they will betray me. Got myself a nice little corner of the map but thats for another thread.

Really good advice, you need to get around 5/6 provences to begin with, get some good trade going, build up and turtle for 40-50 turns developing the chi and then picking off the weak one by one. Do you think converting to Christinanity will work? Then use Chritian missionaries to cause rebellions and then conquer rebels or do you think the diplomatic penetly hit will be too hard?

P.S well done both on completing Legendary, no easy task. Domination campaign next ;-)

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Odd things happening. During my Takeda campaign the Oda weren't elminated, I just thought they got lucky, but then they destroyed the Tokugawa. :O

After that I decided to try Oda again and for some reason the Saito didn't attack me on the first turn and the Tokugawa didn't get as far as they usually do, I was able to fight them one at a time and beat them pretty easily. I had to start over (Hattori, Takeda, Tokugawa, and Kitabatake all declared war on me >_>) and it did the same exact thing as the first time. Anyone have any ideas as to might have happened?

A few things to consider:

-I'm playing with above average unit sizes (Yari Ashigaru are 400 per unit).
    -I'm using the morale sub-mod that was recently released.

I doubt these have any effect but it's odd wouldn't you say?

Mod can alter things in an unpredictable way sometimes ...

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Fallout 3 Modder

No, that isn't a banana

I didn't bother with the Rebels on turn 1. Leave one ashi unit in your castle with your Daimyo, and attack the castle in the North. Easy vicotry if you don't auto-resolve (AI reinforcement tactics are a bit "off", which helps).

During the inter-turn period the rebels will siege your castle and lose, and Toku army will march north, but not far enough to attack.

Turn 2, move most of your army back from the north (combining with the army from your capital - assuming you built 2 units on turn 1) to confront Tokugawa's army. This should be a bit more challenging to win, but it's doable. Once that army is defeated, it should be clear sailing.

When you hovr with the mouse on the clans it tells you a series of data about his relation even if you have an ally and his stats are like -120 he will probably betray you , also consider the reputation , if is a thrusted one probably will be like so , if his reputation is questionable well ... you make the math ...

The main point of my strategy was get diplomatic relations and grow in peace , so you need to focus on the Chi way and the diplomatic bonuses , those will help a lot in managing the clans ...
    do not expand too much , or wait that they "forget ur expansions" , as you expand you add points in minus , especially if you expand at their expenses ... always keep your word and also rise your Daimyo honor , by never sacking cities etc , so the trick is mostly control the points stats of each clan and manage to make them all positive ... make comercial treaties with everyone , marriages etc all that is needed to keep them quite , make also the right allies , you wouln't like to find in a war couse of your ally enemies ...
    Oh I know but the thing is when your at war you need lands but at turn 34 I've stopped at Satomi's lands. I'm at war with Satake but so far all seems quiet and I'm content to just build up the garrison in the east.

To the northwest I've been thinking of garrisoning the capital and the north city with enough guys and then move out and capture a Hattori city as well as south shinoa from Usegui to give me a border city to allow the other cities to grow properly.

I regret breaking my alliance with the Hattori but they were getting their butts handed by the Tsutuyi (who I was allied with also) and now at this point Hattori is beating them back.

The hattori have dubious loyalty so don't regret too much , they betrayed me a couple of times in other campaigns so ...

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Oda's dyamo has -20 relationship hit on all factions. But i cant see it listed anywhere on the relations pad... Is it a bug??? Anyone else noticed this?

The hattori have dubious loyalty so don't regret too much , they betrayed me a couple of times in other campaigns so ...
    Is it the integerity you look at like "Dependable"?

In any case, so far I've beaten the Hattori back but now the ********** Iko Iko comes barging in from the North with mass archer armies which I have no idea how to deal with except mass cavalry which will take time.

I beaten back the Usegui and have established two cities as garrisons and so far Satake has taken the offensive.

However, Date is now on my side, for now anyways.

I really don't want to restart this campaign.

The Hattori are not to be trusted, they betrayed me when we had a long-standing trade agreement, an alliance, and Very Friendly relations. Get rid of them as soon as you have the opportunity.

Alrighty 118 turns in.

To my surprise, I found the Oda effective in turtling and building up. By focusing on Chi arts and using mass Ashigaru units I was able to hold my frontier cities.

It was interesting that if you are able to bring the AI's military from "mighty" to "feeble" they are open to peace which I found nice. Granted it's only a ceasefire as I knew but it bought me time to build up my kingdom. I also avoided trading with them so that it would take them longer to rebuild their forces.

Eventually I was one province away from realm divide and I had almost finished 75% building up the infrastructure when several clans including the Uesegui attacked me so I said whatever and went on the offensive.

By 118 I have wiped out the Uesugi and claimed the entire eastern side. My Tstuyui allies finally betrayed me but I have made several vassals in the meantime to give me money in trade and to help me in beating back the western kingdoms.

I was also surprised by the AI's naval invasions as they did 3 in total. Two fleets broke through and landed two mass armies. I had lost 2 cities but retook them quickly. The other fleet I chased down and destroyed them myself.

At this point I'm bringing my armies from the east to the west now for a slugging match against the western kingdoms. I must say it is critical that you keep a strong north and south fleet to keep an eye out for any naval invasions.

I think for Oda to be successful you need to rely on mass Ashigaurs before moving onto elite units.

This is on VH mind you.

something i found incredibly helpful with oda, is during the first few turns, have both your damyo and general involved in every battle. basically have one nearby to reinforce. even if its just the damyo or general that joins, they both will earn XP equally for each fights. helps a lot because as oda you're always being attacked. definitively not the easiest clan to play as

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

Now, I did not buy TW: S2, but reading this forum, I have a general idea of what has gone on in the game. It seems like the Oda are predestined to die in the first turn? That is pretty terrible, wouldn't you say? Seems like a waste to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Populus Romanus View Post
    Now, I did not buy TW: S2, but reading this forum, I have a general idea of what has gone on in the game. It seems like the Oda are predestined to die in the first turn? That is pretty terrible, wouldn't you say? Seems like a waste to me.
    If they are played by the computer then yes, but I assume you're just here to nitpick at the game to give you an excuse not to buy it.

However, I've started playing with larger unit sizes and increased morale for all units and now they survive about 80% of the time, thing is now Tokugawa is the one always getting destroyed.

Populus Romanus's Avatar Senator
    Redmond, Washington, United States of America

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    If they are played by the computer then yes, but I assume you're just here to nitpick at the game to give you an excuse not to buy it.
    Guilty, I don't have enough money.
    Last edited by Populus Romanus; March 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Grammar

At huge risk of sounding like a smart ass, I find (and have found from Day 1) Oda to be one of the best campaigns to play. Sit down, load up, and 2 or 3 hours later you're only about 5 - 7 years in but have a good solid block of provinces and have fought about 15 good battles. Indeed, with Oda I've found I end up "by accident" to have expanded quite a lot more than when I play the others (except for maybe Takeda at times). Oda's difficulty is those first 6 - 12 turns depending on difficulty settings and how the diplomacy is going around you. I find if you really take your time in those turns, think through every move and decision with care, and personally fight all the battles - Oda is really no problem.

I find it the best (or at least one of the best) campaigns because it's nice and tight, not too many HUGE provinces, lots of cities within one move lightning strikes of each other. Tends to hold my interest more because almost every move is a risk / reward scenario.

And as above - NEVER EVER trust the Hattori. I wait for them to DOW me (or my southern ally) and then I put maximum effort into their erradication from Japan's history.

It is just a pity that the ODA clan one of the most Powerfull of Japan of the time if you play another faction gets soon eliminated by the AI .... wich sounds weird ....

Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Fallout 3 Modder

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast