Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chosokabe Campaign Guide

baldrick13's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Chosokabe Campaign Guide

after you have taken the first island though you really need to be careful where you inject your troops into the mainland.

ruined my first campaign as them.
    Been a long time hasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSeeker View Post
    As it is my first campaign in the game, something happened and made me close the game... I had conquered half the map and then EVERY BLOODY CLAN declard war on me, broke their trade rights and it seams to me that here comes the moment of P A I N. Should I be scared? Will they really all attack me or i just have to defend my inland borders? You know, in an island there is always the fear of naval army invasions...
    I had that problem too. I captured kyoto, and four turns later, Everyone declared war on me.

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Anyone win in Legendary?

I am trying but unsuccessfully.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Here I am on turn 69 of my Legendary Chosokabe campaign and the Higo clan initiates a navel blockade, I am getting no income.

Here is the problem, I attached two Senoku Bune with one Bow Kobay and a Fire bomb Kabay.

I destroyed one ship however the other ship boarded my Bow Kobay and they stayed engaged in melee for the entire battle until the timer ran out. If that is not bad enough my Fire Bomb Kobay could not throw bombs at the enemy ship. I lost the battle when I should have won.

That one small ship battle may have cost me the campaign. The only reason I am playing a campaign on legendary is because I am trying to get a retainer for the Avatar Campaign.

Does this happen all the time?

Is there any point in me even trying to win on Legendary?

I know of nobody who has a won a legendary campaign, I don't even know if it's achievable.

What to do now?

Yeah, sounds like you're severely stuck.

Chosokabe is a double-edged sword. On the one hand the initial growth is easy because you have few neighbours and they're not as hard as you anyway. You can conquer Shikoku in no time, even on legendary. It produces some decent income, although nothing breathtaking.

The real problem is that you need land bridge to your capital to allow trade. Because of that, Chosokabe are stuck with max 3 trading ports through the entire campaign. Even once you capture provinces on the mainland Honshu you will not be able to trade from them because there is no land connection to your capital in Tosa. Yeah. To make things even harder, once you conquer Shikoku, there is no one to sell military access to = no easy money.

Tips for Chosokabe - throughout your conquest of Shikoku stick to just one stack. Go for Kono first, then for Sogo and then for Miyoshi. General tips, although very valuable for Chosokabe too, are - if you're going to war with Miyoshi and they happen to be allied to a large and powerful clan that you don't want dragged into the war, seek out who Miyoshi are at war with, ally with them and join their war - this way they can't drag their allies into the war. You can break the alliance in 20 turns.

Tip no.2 - nobody will want to trade with you unless you have warhorses resource. Beeline for Awa as soon as to get warhorses and fill up those 3 trade slots you're stuck with. You can maybe consider Nanban trade port to get 2 routes per port.

Tip no.3 - the reason you only want one stack of troops is because navies are essential as Chosokabe and you will need to spend a fair bit on them. The last thing you need is to get blockaded and lose income. In addition, on legendary pirate spawn is a problem and you need to chase them and kill them. Also - you need boats to capture those trade nodes. The more the better. You will need that money.

Once Shikoku is yours, lie low, develop while keeping a close eye on the situation around you. Stick to one stack but build military buildings and SAVE money! Once you develop your armies to a decent level (i.e. you have, say, 6 ahigaru, 4 bow samurai, 2 daikyu, 4 katana sams, general and 3 cav of some sort) you can build 2 stacks with your savings, check out what is happening in Kyushu (to the left of you) like send a spy there, and pick on the weakest clan with the largest amount of provinces. Ideal scenario is something like Ito on Weak status because they just took a province from someone but lost tons of troops. Take both stacks and clean their clock. Take Satsuma - weaponsmith there will help you produce much better troops.

For your current situation I would say - see if you can disband some of your army just to keep your head above water. Scrape together enough for 2x medium bune and 2x bow kobaya and see if you can take the blockading force on. That's all I can think of. Good luck!

Thanks for the excellent advice. But depending on who you talk to, they say buy just Ashiguru units because they are cheaper to maintain. Any thoughts on the tech tree?
    I will give you more rep but have to spread it around apparently.

I may be a rep hoe (who ain't) but I'm doing this for the team, man, for the cause

Anyway - hmmm... ashigaru... Yeah, starting off your army will have many ashigaru because there is just no way around it. Personally I am not cool with keeping them around for too long and upgrade as soon as I can. I like my soldiers proper, you see. What you can do, and that is actually a better idea, is to conquer Shikoku with an ashigaru army with maybe 2x bow sams to bolster it (although, to me that is a big ask on legendary), then sit around, save up and build a killer stack so you can then send off 1 heavy stack and 1 ashigaru stack to wherever you want to conquer and fight battles with large armies. Will save you more money.

The reason I'm not a fan of full-ashigaru armies is that I don't like exploiting the AI. Just as I'm not a fan of quasi-exploits like maxing taxes every second turn, I also don't like exploiting AI during battles. BAI can be raped even on legendary (you tube let's play will prove this) and even with ashigaru but I just don't massively enjoy it. I'm more of a granddad sort of general, where I like to take my game nice and neat. I like setting the formations right, checking out melee on half speed, you know, really sad stuff. I don't like to do gamey stuff to beat the AI. Unfortunately, legendary sort of demands it.

I mean, I don't think anybody beat legendary fully legit, no selling military access rights, no BAI kiting / baiting, no tax-maxing etc. I don't even think it's possible without a major, major stroke of luck.

Tech tree-wise: I always go for 2 things - first farming tech (which gives you Todofunken and better roads + reduced upkeep along the way) and Heaven and Earth (which is essential for more bow ammo, army camp line of buildings and buff to replenishment). With Chosokabe you will maybe want to consider some naval techs as well. Also important is tea ceremony for daimyo honour and first bow art for flaming arrows, specifically for your bow kobayas! Once you get fire arrows, bow kobayas actually become very nifty and you can beat some harsh odds at sea; experiment with custom naval battles, setting ships on fire is fun.

With that out of the way, once you've built terraced farming (with the farming tech), you can then build bigger castles. Once you research H&E you can then build that recruitment camp thingie and buff armour on your soldiers (or attack, or whatever, I usually go for armour for some reason). With that under control I go all out to get military techs, usually go for spears, then bows, then cav and finally, swords. Spears matter more, I think, as they benefit ashigaru and those guys need every bit of help they can get. Say, once you have fortress, military camp (armoury) and upgraded yari dojo in Tosa you can crank out ashigaru with 3 experience and 6 armour out of the dojo door, that always helps a lot and is easy to get, relatively.

With Chosokabe I would say daikyu and archers are your advantage (duh...). With most clans my stacks pack 5 - 6 samurai archers, with Chosokabe it's normally 4 sam archers and 2 daikyu. Samurai archers are probably in the top 3 units in the game, and with Chosokabe buffs they become really dangerous. Daikyu even more so. They really send a message to those poor sods at the pointy end. Let us know how you get one mate.

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

I honestly suggest recruiting the Daikyu Samurai, they're incredibly useful. Slightly costlier, but very useful when it comes to hard battles. Level them up and they can deal serious damage.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Absolutely correct, Basileos, Daikyu rock. One thing to note there - they need a Hunting Lodge, which is the upgraded military camp, so you may end up splitting your ashigaru and bow recruitment centres into 2 separate provs. Yari ashigaru get nothing from Hunting Lodge and, as said before, they need all the help they can get.

Guys how do you get across to the Chosokabe? I just started S2 vanilla and am about 70 turns in on lower difficulty and still don't know how to get across as Shimazu.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Use ships to get across the pond. Find a landing spot, preferably in Iyo, no defence there.
    Last edited by Basileos Leandros I; June 13, 2016 at 03:57 AM.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234