Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to fix MTW CTDs

Default Re: How to fix MTW CTDs

OK, I finally got my VI to play on this computer. I went through months of trying this or that and throwing up my hands, putting it away, and then a couple of months later pulling it back out and trying it again. First I'll tell you what I tried that didn't work, then I'll tell you what I did to get it working perfectly.
    I have a Dell 8200 Pentium 4 with a PNY Nvidia FX 5500 graphics card. Every time I would try to play a campaign, withing a few turns it would crash to desktop. I tried every refresh rate, every resolution setting, every Anti-Aliasing setting and every other setting and combination of settings without success.
    One suggestion did improve it, that was creating an individual profile where my AA was set to 4X. With this setting it still crashed every few turns, but I could save often and still make progress. Before, the crashes seemed tied to some corrupted country or army and as soon as I clicked on it...crash.

Finally I went to Nvidia's web sight. I started the procedure to download the latest driver (which I already had) and then on the left side of the screen is an active button for driver archives. I went into their archives and tried several of the older drivers. I ended up using an FX 5200 driver from 2004 and voila!!!!! the game works perfectly.

I have read where some could get it to work with resolution settings, and some with AA settings but the only thing that worked for me was old drivers.
    I hope this helps someone else, I spent many hours trying different things over the last couple of years, until finally I got my favorite game of all time up and running!

Specs:

Dell Dimension DIM2400
    intel(R)
    Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
    2.59 GHz, 256 MB of Ram

works fine with battles but errors when loading up campaign.

it'll bring me to a load / save page but not let me enter the actual campaign.

when loading up campaign tutorial, the load bar appears, complete and another load bar appears above where its suppose to be.

it then brings me back to the main menu without even loading the campaign tutorial

Prince_of_Macedon's Avatar Πρίγκηψ της Μακεδονίας

If none of the posts in this thread help you, then please ask your question in the Technical Help section. There are more tech-wizards over there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticulous View Post
    Specs:

Dell Dimension DIM2400
    intel(R)
    Celeron(R) CPU 2.60GHz
    2.59 GHz, 256 MB of Ram

works fine with battles but errors when loading up campaign.

it'll bring me to a load / save page but not let me enter the actual campaign.

when loading up campaign tutorial, the load bar appears, complete and another load bar appears above where its suppose to be.

it then brings me back to the main menu without even loading the campaign tutorial
    You might want to try posting your question here in the Technical Help section.
    Last edited by Prince_of_Macedon; July 06, 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    HOW TO PLAY EMPIRE TOTAL WAR OFFLINE

"It is a lovely thing to live with courage and to die leaving behind an everlasting renown." - ALEXANDER THE GREAT

Watch my online-commentary battles here
    Under the Patronage of Hader

Edelward's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by KPity View Post
    I have a dell e1405 that CTD's back to desktop as soon as I try and start a campaign. Anyone know of any potential fixes as this is really troubling as this will be the computer I will take to college.
    You have Vista
    there're many posts with similar symptom when you try to run it on Vista
    Fitz Salnarville, Duke William's favourite knyghte,
    To noble Edelwarde his life dyd yielde;
    Withe hys tylte launce hee stroke with thilk a myghte,
    The Norman's bowels steemde upon the feeld.
    Old Salnarville beheld hys son lie ded, 235
    Against Erie Edelward his bowe-strynge drewe;
    But Harold at one blowe made tweine his head;
    He dy'd before the poignant arrowe flew.
    So was the hope of all the issue gone,
    And in one battle fell the sire and son

Anyone wanting to play mtw1 but is running a modern (8000+) nvidia card has had it really. When the next generation of ati cards arrives in the next couple of months, I'm going to swap out my 8800gt for a cheap ati card in the hope that I can once again experience the superior mtw1.

Specs:
    Dell Inspiron E1505
    ATI Radeon X1400
    Intel Core(TM)2 2GHz
    2 GB ram
    Vista

Using total war eras version of MTW. Game stops working right after the first video cut scene, but before the scene with all the charging horsemen. Haven't even gotten to the menu screen yet. Rolled back to SP2 with no change. Rolling back farther and nothing happens(95/98). Any info greatly appreciated.

Right Ive had MTW for a long time and its worked perfectly and ive never had any problems with it. But recently I reset my PC back to factory settings. After doing that I installed MTW again and then started playing it. Everything worked perfectly until I got into a battle. First of all the game really started lagging and then an error message came up. Now I cannot remember what it says but I am going to run the game again and read what the error message said and post it on here. My question is has any1 else had this problem where during a battle the game lags and they get an error message which closes the game and sends them back 2 desktop. If someone has an answer please help me. Ive been a keen follower of this forum and I absolutely love the game. But now being on this forum annoys me because it makes me miss the game even more lol anyway any answers will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

PS the game crashing to my desktop doesnt have anything 2 do with my graphics card. As I can still play RTW nad M2TW.

Just found out the error messages. They are E_INVALIDARG (INVALIDPARAMS) C:/CRUSADERS/Med_addon/sound.cpp(285) and
    E_OUTOFMEMORY C:/CRUSADERS/Med_addon/sound.cpp(496)

Squiggle's Avatar Primicerius

Im using ATI Radeon HD 2400 series. MTW works just really unstably. Sometimes it crashes after battles, sometimes it crashes after turns or just when I click on a province- its just totally unstable. It basically makes it unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. I couldnt figure out how to do that 2x anti alliasing thing, my options just arent the same as Justinian's I guess, because it wasnt there. Using XP btw, also gold edition.

---- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please EDIT previous post for updates and don't bump

So is this technical help nothing more than a joke forum or do any of these questions EVER get actually answered? Isnt there someone responsible for this crap, or shouldnt it just be removed as a waste of space?
    Last edited by Brusilov; June 16, 2010 at 06:24 AM.
    Man will never be free until the last King is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.
    ― Denis Diderot
    ~
    As for politics, I'm an Anarchist. I hate governments and rules and fetters. Can't stand caged animals. People must be free.
    ― Charlie Chaplin

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggle View Post
    Im using ATI Radeon HD 2400 series. MTW works just really unstably. Sometimes it crashes after battles, sometimes it crashes after turns or just when I click on a province- its just totally unstable. It basically makes it unplayable. Any help would be appreciated. I couldnt figure out how to do that 2x anti alliasing thing, my options just arent the same as Justinian's I guess, because it wasnt there. Using XP btw, also gold edition.

---- double posts merged (Brusilov) - please EDIT previous post for updates and don't bump

So is this technical help nothing more than a joke forum or do any of these questions EVER get actually answered? Isnt there someone responsible for this crap, or shouldnt it just be removed as a waste of space?
    Please don't bump threads.

When someone can answer the question they will do so. No-one is being paid to do this - if you want to rant then I suggest you direct it towards the game companies on the offical forums.

Coming here and calling this a joke forum and belittling the helpful advice that many give isn't the best thing to do. Many problems are resolved but not all.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

For those that wish official help with this matter, contact www.sega.com/support. They get paid, we don't.

as much as these guys may suck at MP, these people do try to help you and they do it for free. A bit of respect for those that try is the least you could do squiggle.

Recently installed Medieval:TW on my laptop computer, I dont have an NVidia or GeForce graphics card, I have a Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, the problem is when I go to start a new campaign mode it does the whole loading thing, then takes me to the desktop, I am able to go back onto the game menu and it appears to be the pause menu, I click resume game and it takes me to desktop again, I changed the various resolutions to the higher ones, when I was playing in low resolutions every time I went to the desktop I got the Windows Vista Error Message that "A problem has caused medieval total war to stop working."

I am also using a crack that enables me to play the game without the play cd, could that be the problem? Sadly I lost the play disk but still had the installation disks.

All other game modes work (that ive tried anyway, battles, quick battles, even the historical campaign.) The only fault that I can find is that it won't play the campaign mode.

I've tried the various resolution things, and some sound things, is there anything else I can try to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Icon9 Re: How to fix MTW CTDs

Hello.

I´ve bought the Total War Anthology Pack.
    In fact i was interested in having a 2nd copy of Roma TW because my old one is starting to acuse all this years of use after try some of the wonderfull mods (RTR, SPQR, EB) And also I was interested in the expansions of Shogun (Mongol Invasion) and Medieval (Viking Invasion) because I only played the basic games some years ago.

I have the same problem with Shogun Gold Edition an Medieval Gold Edition. The problem is i get a CTD error when I try to start a New Campaign Game.
    After reading hundreds of posts in this forum and in others forums I´ve tried every combination of screen resolution, compatibility mode, AA and anisotropic combination, I´ve downloaded and installed the new drivers for my graphic card and a new version of DirectX, I´ve trided with the "button fix option" and still is not working. The only thing I wan´t to try is install old drivers.

I also have written to Sega Technicall Support and they only say things that you could expect ("try with the compatibility mode" or "install the most recent drivers") but nothing helpfull.

I have written to mastertronics too, but I haven´t received an answer yet.

So now I´m really really frustrate. I´ve spent a quantity of money on this pack of 4 games and 2 of them are not working . I feel fooled.

Could you help me please?

Thank you
    Last edited by Veton; December 10, 2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

lmt96's Avatar Tiro

I don't know why , my graphic card is ONBOARD (Intel G45/43 chipset) 270MB but it CTD whenever I try to start a campaign. Everything works great, except for the campaign.

Icon4 Re: How to fix MTW CTDs

Hay guys,

I am using windows 7 and my display adapter is ATI Radeon 3400 HD series , I updated the display card drivers to the latest , I updated the Rome Total war gradually to 1.5 (The latest) , I tried the Anti Aliasing trick but it seem to fail to solve the issue , I also tried to change the screen resolution with no success , I still unable to load the game and i just see the copyright page then the screen flickers and jump to the desktop !!!
    I really need to solve this issue , And BTW i tried to check the requirements in www.systemrequirementslab.com and my hardware is absolutely more advanced than the requirements but i still unable to play this old game even with my modern laptop !

Your help will highly appreciated and thanks in advance.
    Last edited by wfareed; May 05, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: edit notification options

Last edited by maranono; September 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM.

Joined this forum and wanted to try play MTW modded after reading a MTW thread. But couldn't get the game loading after the TW logo, the screen went black.

I found a solution for this problem which is not a CTD per se but I thought this would be the best place to post it anyway.

Solution: Make an empty text file named "skipcredits.txt" in the MTW folder. (Same place as the MTW.exe file)

This worked for me.

^ That solution did not fix our problems with the cipset family. Thanks for the effort though

What would really be nice would be if Sega introduced a simple patch to fix these problems. I don't think it would be too hard to do or take too long condiering a lot of other old games still run on the latest machines, probably just a few simple tweaks.

Yes, there is no direct money in it for them, and it requires a bit of labour time from one or more programmers - maybe they could do it in their spare time out of the share love for the game - but who can put a price on the good PR this will bring to Sega that it still shows some respect for its long-standing and loyal customers?

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

This CTD fix might work, but unfortunately all links are broken in that post. So that's why I decided to post about it here.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast