Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Installing From DVD

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Default Installing From DVD

Installing from the two DVDs of Shogun 2 Total War should be fairly straight forward.

However, as the game requires activation and an update from Steam the install can be slightly tricky, especially when the Steam server is too busy and does not let you complte the install. If the install fails because the Steam server was too busy you may find yourself in the position of downloading the whole game.

Hopefully, the following may be of help to some of you. Apologies if it's a bit shambolic - it's 3:45am in the UK....

When you insert the first disc you will be shown a screen that given you the option of installing the game. If you get an option to Reinstall or Uninstall it's likely that you had a failed install.

[Edited (16/03/2011)]
    This is the screen I get now after I've installed the game correctly - I can play it but I can also 'reinstall' or 'uninstall'. Although this is a Steam Window I have yet to start Steam itself.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

[End of Edit]

Part of the install process will be starting up a Steam session and the insertion of the Shogun 2 Steam Code (I did that earlier in the day prior to the game being released on Steam).

If you've had a failed install select the 'Uninstall' option and then start the process again. If you select the 'Reinstall' option you will likely start to download the whole game again - look at how much is being downloaded.

[Edited (16/03/2011)]
    When you start the install process make sure Steam is not started already. For me this just makes it simpler as you don't want Steam to start downloading the whole game - I think this will only happen if you try andplay the game though.

To close down Steam you can either use the Windows Task Manager to make sure it's not running or you can (with Windows 7) close down the task using the 'hidden icons' button. This button appears as a small up-arrow on the bottom of the windows menu bar - to the right of the language and to the left of the data time:

If you left mouse click that button a menu pops up showing the tasks/applications that are running. If Steam appears there simply right mouse click it and select 'exit'.
    [End of Edit]

As I mentioned the install can fail if the Steam Server is too busy. You can retry at some later stage but it's then likely that the game will be downloaded completely by Steam.

The thing to do is to change the server that you are using. I tried several options (UK - Manchester, Switzerland and even USA) before I found that the Philipines one worked for me.

This is the Steam Settings window with the 'Downloads & Cloud' tab shown - as you can see my Download Region is usually UK - London.

The first disc is being used to install the game:

The second disc is now being used to continue the install:

When installing from disc the game will be 15,692Mb.

When the installing from disc is completed you will get the followng screen:

You can then look at the downloads screen and find the following (at this point the background download has a done 103.9Mb - this is the 'day 0' patch):

If you see the number 16,306.7Mb don't panic - so long as the game has already downloaded more than 15,629Mb (from disc) as shown in the screen. If you see the first number less than 15,629Mb then it's likely that you really are downloading the whole game.

At the end of the download you should have an update of 572.7Mb (at the time of my install - if it's a bit more then there may have been a patch):

Once that is done you may need to enter the Limited Edition Steam Code but then it's simply a matter of launching the game.

Edited: When I did that I got a activation confirmation.

You can always check the DLC has been attached OK here:

Edited: I added some screens to show the 'install' screen and how to make sure that Steam is not running.
    Last edited by Brusilov; March 16, 2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Added some more screens

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Installing From DVD

Thanks for the helpful post, sir. Plus rep+
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

Someone needs to sticky this

TW Bigfoot

if you get the steam servers are too busy message, right click on the game in your libary, and select "delete all local content" then re insert the disk and install again.

Worked for me

I try to install from DVD but steam gave me a message stating waiting for game to be release...
    How long more do I have to wait for the game to be release? I am located in Singapore.

TW Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by luffyboi View Post
    I try to install from DVD but steam gave me a message stating waiting for game to be release...
    How long more do I have to wait for the game to be release? I am located in Singapore.
    type shogun 2 into the store page on steam, it should tell you when it will be unlocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Barroso View Post
    type shogun 2 into the store page on steam, it should tell you when it will be unlocked.
    Ok thanks, It stated 3more hrs...

Eastern Red's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by luffyboi View Post
    I'm also from Singapore and checked with the distributor New Era, was told the release is based on U.S. time. Just failed intall 10 min ago and U.S time is already 15th March. ????

THE BEGINNING OF A NEW ERA
    COURTESY OF LORD RAHL

+ rep
    you saved my day

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    + rep
    you saved my day
    No problems, here to help......

I did have a few problems when I got the 'Steam Server is too busy' message. As I posted the trick is to remove anything before trying again - there are probably several ways to do that and they all probably work.

The game had been released in the UK when I tried to install it for the second time - I did have to change the 'download region' but that is an old trick that many people use.

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Cheers Brusilov, I remember having to download ETW even though I had the disks. Frustrated is not the word

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo11 View Post
    Cheers Brusilov, I remember having to download ETW even though I had the disks. Frustrated is not the word
    There is no real reason to be forced to download the whole game if you have it on DVD - even with a fast download. At least with Steam once you have the game installed you can download it if your discs get damaged (I had a RTW BI CD-ROM explode in a DVD-ROM drive on a PC - shards of CD-ROM meant the drive had ot be scrapped).

It's a matter of trying to work out what is happening.

I did have to look twice when I got the download after the DVD install - a second look revealed that it was only downloading an update rather than the whole game.
    Last edited by Brusilov; March 15, 2011 at 09:11 AM.

Currently attempting to get the DVD version to install has resulted in failure (Steam servers), a 'delete local content' fix and now the install is running at 20 minutes for Disc 1. Steam is an unnecessary middle man and always has been - but if CA insist on using them, they had better also insist that Steam deliver. This does no good to the credibility of CA - or of Steam.

ok game released, installing now.

well its always the same with steam. i insert the DVD and then is is downloading it instead of just installing from the DVD. With 1 mb/s this is going to take 4 hours. Thank god for steam

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by blow56 View Post
    Currently attempting to get the DVD version to install has resulted in failure (Steam servers), a 'delete local content' fix and now the install is running at 20 minutes for Disc 1. Steam is an unnecessary middle man and always has been - but if CA insist on using them, they had better also insist that Steam deliver. This does no good to the credibility of CA - or of Steam.
    There really are advantages to Steam. I know it does not always seem that way.

When I started my install after 1am this morning I was constantly getting the 'steam server is too busy' message. I did try several different download regions and eventually found one (Philipines) that worked for me.

It is a known work-a-round.

The advantage of Steam is that the 'day 0' patch (572Mb of it) was installed before I could play. I would hate to see what the game was like without that patch.....

Any subsequent patches can be automatically applied to your game - no matter where they come from.

Also if for some reason your disc is damaged you can still play the game and even download it onto the same Steam account on a different computer. For me this is an advantage as I do work away from home during the week and canget the game on my laptop and play there.

Quote Originally Posted by klok View Post
    well its always the same with steam. i insert the DVD and then is is downloading it instead of just installing from the DVD. With 1 mb/s this is going to take 4 hours. Thank god for steam

You don't need to download the whole game.

well how can i switch from downloading to installing?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by klok View Post
    well how can i switch from downloading to installing?
    When that happened to me I closed down Steam. Once that was done I ran the disc install (setup.exe) and then did a 'Uninstall'.

Once that is done you can try to install again.

The installation from dvd is finished, but it only has reached ca. 13,600 mb of 16,305.0mb
    I am curious why I have other numbers than you have.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast