Thread: Projectiles-sticking-on-ground Mod

wlesmana's Avatar ILIKE2MOVEITMOVEIT

Icon1 Projectiles-sticking-on-ground Mod

Because I have no idea what to name a mini-mod like this. In fact, I think this is more of a fix than a mod.

Notice how arrows stick to the ground after landing down? Well, the length they stay before vanishing is hard-coded so I can't do anything about that. But notice how javelins, pilums and other throwing spear types just disappear completely after hitting ground? For the longest time we thought this is also hard-coded, that javelins would just disappear upon hitting ground. Apparently this is not the case.

I accidentally found this after accidentally making a very long throwing spear, I noticed it is sticking out of the ground. After testing I found out that javelins also stick to the ground but for some odd reason unknown to us the developers made the root point with regards to the ground far too low, perhaps by mistake. So all this time, the javelins, pilums and others are still rendered by the game but we just can't see them because they're below ground. Unless the ground is made of jelly, this is not realistic.

So I modded the models of the javelin, pilum and plumbata (this one appeared only in BI) and moved them back away from the root point a little bit, resulting in these projectiles showing sticking to the ground:

I also modded the trail a bit further back to give them the same effect as before.

You can use this mod by downloading here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14762912/javelin_mod.zip

Note that this mod does NOT change gameplay whatsoever. This is only a graphical mod. The models do not overwrite existing files. The mod only overwrites one file only: descr_projectile_new.txt so you might want to back it up just in case. If you're using this mod for BI then this text file must overwrite the same file in bi/data as well. There should be no change in performance in using this mod, since the models used are the same, only repositioned and the game renders them anyway. But just in case, I also included the repositioned models of the lower models.

I say the biggest thing we can use this for is highly detailed arrows. Arrows now can be made in 3D form instead of single polygon objects like currently since new missile objects like this will still stick to the ground.

Apologies if someone else already discovered this and used it for their mod. I have no knowledge if that is the case.

Skull's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Projectiles-sticking-on-ground Mod

Good work! + rep
    A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.

Great job wlesmana!!! ...+rep.

A nice goodie. Thanks!

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

wow i just see this...once again great job
    you already put this in LOTRTW,right?And how much time projectiles stays in the ground (until end of the battle or)?
    Last edited by Lü Bu; March 15, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

Yea, of course I'm putting this in my mod. And actual arrow models with unique flavor for the cultures.

The length they stay on the ground is the same as the arrows, which is 5 seconds or so. I haven't found any file that controls this and given that the game treats all missiles the same way (unlike before where we assumed only arrows could stick to the ground, leading to assumption that something is making arrows and javelins distinct) I suspect it is hard-coded.

Here are some samples of the new arrows I've implemented in my mod:

And the thrown spears now stick to the ground:

Valkar's Avatar Senator

WOW! + Rep!

Lü Bu's Avatar "Mightyest Man Alive"

+rep from me too
    Proud patron of Wlesmana
    Assyria Total War
    Check update thread for new HQ models
    My Workshop™

amazing!

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

nice

Quinn Inuit's Avatar Artifex

This looks really cool, thanks!
    RTR Platinum Team Apprentice, RTR VII Team Member, and Extended Realism Mod Team Coordinator. Proud member of House Wilpuri under the patronage of Pannonian

The ExRM forum: come for the mod, stay for the Classical History discussions. Or vice versa.

My writing-related Twitter feed.

debux's Avatar Senator

Great stuff! I actually never noticed that other projectiles (aside of arrows) don't show after being thrown...it was your pics made me notice! I can't even imagine how RTW would look if all projectiles would show, and for the whole battle...
    Linky linky to my last.fm profile! Clicky clicky! If you like anything that ranges from breakbeat to downtempo/chillout, from house to drum & bass, you might find something new in between! (Artist suggestions are more than welcome )

anyone got the Download link? The one of the original poster, is dead...