Thread: Windowed mode?

Default Windowed mode?

I have Medieval Total War laying up in a shelf, and realize I've never actually played a full campaign on my own.

Can this and/or Shogun Total War be played in windowed mode?

Default Re: Windowed mode?

Neither supports windowed mode.

MTW only can be played in a "borderless window" that is anchored to the top left hand corner of the screen. To get this to work you need to run the game in a lower resolution than your desktop resolution and edit the game shortcut to include the "D" command line switch. You also need to set your desktop colour depth to 16bit. The resulting "window" remains on top of all other windows and cannot be moved.
    e.g.

Code:
    C:\MTW\Medieval_TW.exe D
    Where "MTW" is the full path to where you installed the game.

Tiro

Lol, I've been playing with 'WINDOWED' and it works, probably it recognised only 'D' letter?
    Sorry for my bad english , I don't mind correcting!

In MTW or STW? Not aware of this one... Can you post your exact command line for others to try it out?

Tiro

MTW:VI. >"C:\Program Files\totalwar kopia\Medieval - Total War\medieval_tw.exe" WINDOWED<
    I always get two messages "Invalid command line parameter 'N'" and then the same about 'O'.
    But it works

Ah yes, it's only the "D" that's working, I'm sure Ive seen this before. It's not a window though - unless you've getting a moveable window with borders? If so that's something new.

RTW windowed mode is unmoveable and without borders. I like it better than M2TW's window; it allows off-screen scrolling, and it doesn't have that issue where if you click on the left, just inside the game's borders, the game will freeze, re-load, and the map will become blurry.

Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by caravel View Post
    Ah yes, it's only the "D" that's working, I'm sure Ive seen this before. It's not a window though - unless you've getting a moveable window with borders? If so that's something new.
    That isn't fully windowed mode, it's like you wrote "borderless window".
    I didn't know about 'D', so I tryed with differrent combinations of commands that contain word 'window'(started with '-windowed' which works with Hearts of Iron IIRC) and at last found 'WINDOWED' as solution

Yes that's the "overlay" mode. i.e. it's not a window. The 'D' command line switch is what does it.