Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

Lucius wanted to be angry at Pallas, the emotion was overwhelming. Scaurus had been one he had looked up to for guidance despite their disagreements and now he was dead. Pallas rapes a city for 17 days without repercussion. All he wanted to do was go home, retrieve his sword and plunge it into his cold, black heart.

Suddenly the emotion changed direction. Pallas was a demagogue but he still spoke truth. Had it not been for those who had delayed his motions they would never be in this position. Pallas would never have shown such disregard for human life if the senate had the nerve to recall him. From Pallas now he would have expected such ignorance but the rest of the body had proven what he had always assumed...the senate lost its teeth, and with it its sovereignty to a tyrant...and he found himself speechless. The only words he was able to mutter was a pointless...

It was 17 days, not 13 Kaeso...I support the consul's proposal with imperium lasting 4 months...

What had he done? Lucius himself couldn't believe what he had just said. Was he agreeing with him? would silence have also been a form of agreement? How many more would die from his support of the motion...and would he be able to live with it...
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Had Rome gone mad?

Very well...

Aulus takes a deep breath aware of the repercussions of the actions he is about to take.

Since the first Demagogue king was a Tribune it is only fitting that the second be stopped by one.

Pallas Rutulus Aventinus you are nothing but a black-hearted Snake, I veto the motion on the grounds that Consul Pallas Rutulus Aventinus has knowingly waged an illegal war of Conquest with the aim of procuring Greece and a sizable portion of our Legions for his personal use.

Lucius was still in shock, he felt so grateful for Aulus' outburst but he could pay it no more mind that anything else around him. He had been experiencing an emotion he had rarely felt before...fear...

Even during combat he was ever calm, ever vigilant but Pallas was reducing his mind to that of a stricken child. His breaths became more shallow and faster, he could feel his heart beating, attempting to burst right out of his chest, sweat poured down, he was sure it was no longer simple anxiety, it was pure fear. He needed to get out of the Curia.

I...have to get some air...

Lucius fell over out of his chair, bashing his injured leg against the marble floor. After a few moments of excruciating pain he used his walking stick to get up and hobbled outside.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola - Patrician - 34

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

Pallas, you will never be given true freedom to finish of Macedon, for at your every move, lesser men will attempt to block and bring you home. While they may be a minority the sheer amount of beurocracy in the Senate is limiting Romes capability. In times of peace, this is a necesary burden, in times of war, an unberable one. I, Censor Spurius Geminius Scaeva, move that Pallas be made dictator from the start of next term, to finish the war once and for all. These psuedo-greeks must be crushed, subjucated to Roman supremacy. I want to see the region bled dry of men, resources and money, and Rome shall grow upon this nations decline.

I Veto the motion and I will not be made repeat my reasoning.

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Kaeso could not help but smile. The motion was vetoed by the Tribune which means that the Consul will not be getting his Extension after all. The gods have smiled upon the curia and its senators after all. And then he heard what the censor said and nearly wanted to vomit on the curia seat below his. This man just declared that the Consul become a Dictator. And their might be no way for him to stop it from happening.

Kaeso stood up and took a deep breath
    " Are you out of your mind Censor ?. This man a Dictator. The same man that allowed his men to rape woman and to loot temples to the gods. The same man that did the very same thing to the city of pella for 17 days ?. And for what so that he could end the war with the Macedonians ?. But at what cost Would he achieve this victory ?. More rapeing of woman and looting of temples ?. Is that is what is required for total victory by this Consul of Rome ?. I believe that another man could do that same task but not have his men Rape woman or loot temples.

Kaeso then heard the veto by the tribune and smiled" Tribune you have done a favor to the republic by vetoing the censors motion. You gave done the republic a great deed and i thank you for that. Expect a payment in your bank account in the near future from me. just say its a thank you for your service to this republic and if you choose to run again as tribune i will back you up ".

Kaseo sits back down smiling once again
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Why, I havent heard the word veto since those dark days. Remember them Aulus, the time when the curia was rased to the ground? Those days when all proceedings where vetoed. The days when a TRIBUNE almost destroyed the republic. At the time Tribune was less dangerous, as the remaining tribune was one of the most agreeable plebians I have ever met.

*Spurius raises his voice* But now Senators the position of Tribune threatens the republic again! He prevents any motion being put to the vote, he blocks the workings of the senate. Tell me Aulus, have you consulted with the plebs about whether to exploit your position, or are you just using it to voice your personal opinion, with the power of a hundred senators?
    If we are to have a dictator, we should have a legal one, one who has to give up his position after the term is up. One who is choosen by the senators, not as the only option for some poor plebs. This man had NO competition in his election. IS THIS DEMOCRACY?!

*Spurius hears Kaeso's speech* And you worm, the lesser brother! Why you reward the tribune with money like some dog? Do you hope he will act upon your will once again. I have heard of your deeds from your brother, a far superior man to you. I do not see why you were entitled to any of your esteemed fathers inheritance. Alas, the gods curse men in their dieing hours, and you have benifited from it.
    Last edited by Nota'; April 04, 2011 at 03:56 PM.

If I recall correctly Spurius you had no competition either.

A smile crept onto Pallas' lips

Ah, tribune, you stand once again set against the wishes of the Republic. And you, Kaeso, such a vehement argument for the rights of conquered pride. It seems that my return to the Senate has not been the joyous occasion that I imagined it to be. The army I have left in Pella is strictly disciplined. They loot and rape when I ordered the city be laid out before them, and when I gathered them again, they were orderly. These men are disciplined both on field and off field. And discipline, Conscript Fathers, is the ability to follow orders when given, not to conduct oneself as a gentleman before conquered foes.

But I wish not to accept Dictatorship. It is far too ponderous of an object to hold. But I can, and will delay elections, which must be presided over by a consul, if I remember correctly. And as my colleague has taken ill, I think that will be exactly what I do.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Gerges stood, he had watched the proceedings of the Senate house with a smirk playing upon the corners of his lips the whole time through, from the death of Pallas to the Tribune's veto, now at last he stood. He turned towards Pallas with a smile upon his lips and stepping down from the high seat he had occupied he stalked towards Pallas. As he moved alongside the leaving Poplicola he felt troubled for his friend, but then he thought to himself that this was not his friend, it was a crippled broken thing that was only a shadow of the man he once knew. He stalked ahead and in the sight of all the senators and most importantly Poplicola, the Praetor Titus Cassius Gerges embraced the Consul Pallas Rutulus Aventinus. He backed away and turned to face the assembled men raising a hand toward Pallas,

Imperator!

Conscript Fathers, you see before you a true Roman, a man who has waged a legal and just war in the name of the people of Rome. I hear arguments that this man has taken his own judgements too far, but what use is a general who cannot think for himself, no more than a slave awaiting his orders. Consul Aventinus has cowed the Macedonian power in the East, why not allow him to crush the remnants of their might? As a good general would, the Consul has sent us numerous reports, have we in all of our wisdom ever decided to correspond with him? No. As a good general would, the Consul submits himself to our judgement and what can we find wanting in his character? Nothing. As a good Roman would, the Consul has conquered our foes, the aggressors. Let us never forget that it was Macedon that started this war and that they have yet to sue for peace. Instead, they are continuing their foolish venture and we call these people civilised?

A civilised man knows when he is beaten, these arrogant fools do not and there are men here that would suggest that we falter. Madness! The Macedonians are clearly bent upon our destruction, Senators will we tally now and risk them regaining substantial force? Do we risk Roman lives? Or do we allow the man who has crushed their armies, razed their cities and proved their Gods ineffective to strike the final blow? I applaud the Consuls actions, we are at war and that is what we have viewed in our reports. I hear outcry from some members of this noble body claiming that the actions of our soldiers is wrong. They wish to see the people of Macedon spared. To them I say this, the destruction of their temple proves that they have lost the favour of their Gods, this will demoralize them. The actions of our troops shows that there will be no mercy, citizens will cry out for peace. The name of the man before you will chill the blood of their strongest leaders heightening the speed at which they will want to make peace and they will know that Rome is coming and she has no mercy. Senators war is ugly, we know this as do they, it is fierce, cruel and often unrelenting. But all these things hasten the peace settlement Macedon is soon to send. This bloodshed, this destruction, these things that you find so repugnant will make it so there will not be so much more. These

To follow what the Tribune wishes is utterly insane, bitterness twists his words and those spoken by a man whose wits were fading are lodged in his mind like a ship caught on the rocks. I tell you Conscript fathers, this term I run for Tribune, my mind is clear, my will unrelenting. The dues owed to this man will not be halted by a vindictive man who cannot see past his own ambition, he fears the popularity Pallas will gain amongst the people and that it will erode his own support, he who protests against him so. Slaves from the campaign in Macedon swell the markets, some of the lowest citizens can now afford such a luxury and is that not a benefit that was come from this "wanton destruction"? Moreover, the coffers will swell from the Macedonians paying for our war effort that they have inspired. We must show the world that to insult Rome is folly!

I say today that Pallas Rutulus Aventinus has my full support and he should have yours too.
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]

Money, power, and puppetry.

This is how Rome falls.

*The censor looks scathingly at the tribune. Spurius takes measured steps down to the centre of the Curia, his twitch barely noticable. He reaches the centre, looks around at all the senators, then turns to Pallas. Spurius clasps Pallas' arm as a sign of friendship*
    I too pledge my support to our conquering hero!

Lord Slayer's Avatar Campidoctor

Servius listened to the censor and the tribune and his brother. His brother was making a fool of himself by sideing with the tribune on this issue what is really needed is a dictator. But at what cost though. Would we have riots in the streets and the provinces. What makes the censor so sure that the dictator would give up his power after his term is done. would the republic stand with a dictator ?. on one hand his brother had a point. The consul can not be trusted because of what he done. But on the other hand the censor was right. The tribune is vetoing everything and he cant be not elected because he the only pleb in the current senate.

Servius stood up and took a deep breath and let it out" Fellow Senators, The censor is right we do need a dictator to finish off the campaign with the Macedonians and i do believe that Consul pallas is the best man for that title. Despite what he did and what happened. He has given us two city's for the republic and i am sure he will give us more if you allow him my fellow senators. After all we want more land for the republic do we not ?. And this man can give us more land and defeat the Macedonians once and for all "

Servius listens to the censor and could not help but chuckle " My dear friend. My brother does not deserve your words however true they are . He is a blind man although a bit older them me. He sees things only half full and he is a good Senator and he is respected by some. So my friend pay my brother no mind as he was always a Disgrace to the family to begin with and that money will not get to tribune that i promise you . But anyway I support your motion friend. ".

Servius listens to the Praetor and the tribune " Tribune the senators speak truth. nobody challenges you when it comes to elections. And when you do have a challenge you win easly. That my friend is not Democracy at all. But then again most noble senators are not plebs so they could not run for your position anyway . And Praetor your words speak wisdom. War is ugly and Cruel and unfair to those that fall to it. And Slavery is not the issue more its the children slavery that bothers some of us. Child Slavery that is not right and cruel. All Children deserve a chance at a roman life. And my motions will solve the problem in Edessa and pella. Which i will bring up again at a later date "

Servius sits down and smiles once again happy to support his friend
    Melchom Slayer
    21 Years old
    Freeman

The Roman Struggle, a Late Roman Republic RPG.

Blood Runs Deep.
    Fear runs Deeper

Senator I assure you that the current Tribune is not the only Plebeian in the Senate I myself am one. It is a shame the current one is such an embittered fool that he would levy his insults against a fine body of men. I ask you all if this is a man who we want to speak for the people? If this is the man who should impede the progress and splendour that is Rome?

Would you have Peace be as ugly and Cruel and unfair as war,would you give a man who ordered the killing of Citizens of Pella,including children,the opportunity to kill many more? What exactly do you think happened to orphans of Pallas's war?Do you realise that both Praetor Titus Cassius Gerges and Censor Spurius Geminius Scaeva make massive amounts of money on the slave trade,While I own none?

As for you Praetor,have you forgotten that the men you stand with once tried to abolish the Tribunate?You should,since it happened during your term. And need I remind you that it is not the senate who chooses Tribunes?
    Last edited by War lord; April 04, 2011 at 04:35 PM.

Whilst you have no evidence to support your claims the sheer notion is ridiculous. For a slave trade to be successful there must be a slow influx in slaves, enough to keep a trader in business whilst not too many to spoil the market as in any trade be it wine, olives or fish. What Pallas has done will bloat the market, profits for slavers will drop, as I said prices will be at such a low citizens who could never before afford a slave will now have that privilege.

You now see before you Senators a desperate man clinging to the vestiges of power he has lost like the dust of ancestors scattered to the air. Think no more on the ramblings of this fallen man.

*Spurius goes to the Praetor, and engages in private conversation, yet it is still audiable to those nearby*
    Titus, I have was respected, you are by far the finest of your class that I have had the privalege of meeting. I have a request for you. Go to the plebs, hold a meeting, convince them to oust this man from his position before he impeeds their Republic any further. This man has to loose his power of veto, lest Rome become paralysed.
    *Spurius pauses, rubs his eyes, and the twitch below his eye shows again*
    Or...I could issue a ejectio e senatu, let him veto it, and see how his situation is thereafter.

*Spurius then goes to whisper in Pallas' ear*
    Consul, the day is near an end, after this session finishes, I request that you walk with me to my villa. There I propose we have dinner, and discuss issues raised in recent events. I, I believe Poplicola is not yet finished...
    Last edited by Nota'; April 04, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

No one is leaving this building.

He stands blocking the only exit.

Furthermore I would like to insist that the other Consul is present before debate continues.
    Last edited by War lord; April 04, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Faustus entered the Curia and was intrigued to find a man standing near the doorway. Raising and eyebrow and questioning to himself he shrugged. He stood behind the man and folded his hands behind his back and waited for the man either to move or to acknowledge him and let him pass.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

Please go ahead.

Aulus bows sarcastically.