Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

Default Re: Consulate of Aventinus and Poplicola - 542AVC

We cannot risk demobilizing them. The war in the East will drain many of our resources and be almost an exhaustive effort on our part.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

Constantinus returned to the Curia, and had a few words before taking his seat
    My apologies Senators for my absence. I have been away at my brother's funeral events in Neapolis, and have been quite occupied with the organization of events. The event was a private matter, so please accept my apologies for the lack of information and gestures of invitations.

Now then, i would like to Congratulate our newly elected magistrates. May they carry out the will of Rome effectivley and efficiently. Senators, Consuls, do we not have numerous cities in Italy and Sicilia that are capable of levying cohorts to form legions? Because of this, i would like to make a proposal on the levying of these new recruits. Let us devote all settlements north of Rome to levy allied cohorts for immediate dispatch to macedonia under Consul Pallas' command. Meanwhile, all settlements capable of levys south of Rome shall begin mass recruitment to be dispatched as a standing garrison at Carthago Nova to combat any situation that may come up. This will be a major drain of resources, however such is the nature of war...until it is finished. Any changes to this are of course welcomed, but i am certain this method of levy shall enable us to recruit both legions necessary for both theaters of war.
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

I disagree with the location of the levies. We should endeavor to put as many independent minded southern Italians into our armies as possible. They will be taken away from centers where disorder could foment and instead become fully indoctrinated into Roman ways. Meanwhile, our northern cities should be the focus of growth and prosperity, increasing the people's livelihood so that in the future we may have a sizeable recruitment pool to call upon.

Crusades

I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

AspisPhalanx90's Avatar Senator

That makes sense Consul, i on my part agree. What of Sicily?
    Flavius Julius Constantinus, adopted Patrician, 30

The Sicilian garrison must be fortified as well. Now that we are about to embark into Greece in pursuit of Macedon, it may provoke the Independent Cities into war. They have performed similar acts of deception in their history against the Persians and we must do well to avoid a similar mishap. Send word to the governor of Sicily and instruct him to begin recruiting troops from the local levies as soon as possible to deter a potential Syracusian attack.

Crusades

OoC; when my turn for governor comes, do u want me to recruit some skirmishers, say 1 per city? or is that the job of a consul/i dont know what

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

OOC: Cohorts, skirmishers, whatever you find best against greeks. I'd stick with high skirmishers/cavalry and low infantry component.

If Syracuse is to attack Sicily, we should take the opportunity there, too, and send scouts near the city to keep an eye on it. Perhaps we could see an opportunity to take the city, should they send their armies towards roman lands!
    Last edited by Maiar93; March 13, 2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

The Sicilian threat should be dealt with preferably before we head over to defeat the Macedonian threat.
    For King and Country
    Every one I give you
    King George his most Britanic Majesty

The fighting 95th, First in the field and the last out of the Fray

Why don't they have a Prussian Flag instead of German

Nota''s Avatar Campidoctor

We cannot make the first move senator. The greeks have banded together, very uncharacteristically in an alliance or league, and we are currently allied with them. The very reason why we are bound to attack the macedonians is because of the greeks. No, we must grit our teeth and let those greeks attack first, then we can take the famous city of Syracuse. We could leave a precautionary legion in Sicily, but that would be a very expensive precaution...

I will need every legion available to me in Macedonia. Sicily must look after itself. They are sufficiently embedded into Roman society to allow local recruitment. If we begin that now, we would have a full legion there of local Sicilians who are more willing to defend their own homes from potential Greek aggression.

Crusades

Well consul, it is time to start recruiting and transporting then.
    OOC: Sorry for one liner.

In that case I shall depart. I leave Rome in your hands.

Crusades

Misterchief's Avatar Libertus

Quintus Annaeus Longus walks into the Curia, happy to see the other Senators hotly in debate, clearly getting things done. On his way in, he says hello to Pallas, who, by the gait of his step, is going on a campaign.

"Ah. War, you can see the pride in his steps. He will serve Rome well." thinks Quintus.

Before sitting, he offers a few words.

Hail, Senators of Rome! I bid you tidings from the recently settled governor of Sardinia and Corsica. Gnaeus wishes you all well, and he prays to the gods that we will do what is best for the Republic!

Muh Arche Seleukia

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

What about Spain. The matter of Spain and threats in there left me with questions. Will we just say to the governor of Spain: "Well, governor, there's a thousand enemies outside the city walls - deal with it." - or what is the plan in that front?
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

A dispatch arrives bearing the seal of the consul

Conscript Fathers.

I have advanced through the mountainous passes of Macedonia eastward and have laid siege to the town of Edessa. These lands are unbearably quiet and I find it odd that no significant Macedonian military presence is here. The men are in high spirits. Though there are whispers among them about the tales from Spain. Some sound tremendously grim, particularly about the fate of the recently liberated settlements. There are whispers among the soldiers that the locals see us as new oppressors who had replaced the old one.

Expect news of victory soon.

Consul Pallas Rutulus Aventinus

Crusades

Gnaeus Silius Piso walked into the Curia and took a seat at the back, as he was a new senator he had not yet earned a seat closer to the Podium.

*Spurius remains seated.*
    Ah, Pallas seems to have started well, hopefully this is a good omen. I do wonder though, where are the massive armies that we expect from Macedon, are they perhaps engaged in another war? If so, we should contact their enemies to form a plan, and more importantly, make sure they do not get too big a share of this nation, that seems ripe for the picking. I just hope that this isnt some trap... We cannot afford to have our legions cut off, and surrounded in enemy territory.

A sleepy looking man suddenly spoke up from the corner. Had he been here the whole time, or slipped in unnoticed?

Half a legion could be raised in the region of Campania to aid in the defense of Sicily, if such a need were to arise. I would imagine the punics would be more concerned about maintaining their grip on Spain however. Predicting the enemy's movements is difficult.

Maintaining?
    *Spurius chuckeled*
    Why, our late consul pushed them out of spain so fast he over shot and took africa! Our esteemed senate then decided to abandon the settlement and leave it for the punics to reclaim. Shame, could have been a stong barganing chip...

We should not break our own morals for one town, we are Romans not merciless destroyers.

He gestured towards the new Senator,

The esteemed Senator is correct, it is prudent to consolidate our holdings whilst Pallas makes his campaign in the East. I would request a report on the North of Italy considering the fear in these halls of a sudden barbarian invasion.

Censor Scaeva, as I recall in your last term you brought an allied legion back to Italy to regain its strength. Let us station this legion in the North to recover its losses it will provide an able block with which to deal with any incursions allowing time to reinforce it should that be needed.

Your thoughts Senators?
    YATS NAME: Marcus Calpurnius Bestia - 52 [Plebeian]