Thread: Any Linux Users on here?

Default Any Linux Users on here?

I recently had to do a forced migration to Linux (Windows destroyed itself, and had no budget for a new computer).
    I am happy to say that I have been able to get Rome TW and BI running with very little trouble on my new Linux OS (Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat). I have searched the forum for similar topics, but there don't seem to be that many people using Linux and playing Total War. Just curious if there are. I hope to update this topic as new experiences with Rome on Linux occur.

ROFL Copter's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Any Linux Users on here?

People don't tend to use linux for games. I use SUSE almost purely as an escape from Windows when doing some coding and note taking.

I use Ubuntu 10.10 on my laptop although I use windows 7 on my desktop at home when I play games. I find that for uni, I haven't needed Microsoft. I dont use it for games though - which is handy - it means when I am at uni I cant play games - which is good for my studies!!!

Nice one for getting TW working on it fine, I couldnt get wine to work properly!
    Under the Patronage of Imb39
    Patron of julianus heraclius, TheFirstONeill, Boz and midnite

I like SUSE. Ubuntu's not bad, I boot it from a flash occasionally, but I bought SUSE way back when. It's good stuff.

However, Windows 7 just suits my needs much more.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    Administrator Emeritus

I use Ubuntu 10.04 for work and Windows 7 for home. I did have a dual boot win7/Ubuntu at home and still mean to do that one day again, just never got around to it, maybe I'll do it with Meerkat - prefer the LTS 10.04 for work.

For day to day tools and use, I prefer Linux for usability - but for games it's just easier to use Windows.

Well, a few days in, and everything is working quite well, had a 4-hour session playing BI yesterday. Didn't crash once. The intro movies don't load, the loadscreens look really weird, and there is no scrolling background in the main menu. The game itself works perfectly, though, so these are minor quibbles.
    I'm using Wine 1.22. I found it works better to get it directly from Wine's website, rather than use the Terminal or package manager.
    Here's a shot of the weird loadscreen:

iPwntUrMum's Avatar Miles

I use Ubuntu, 10.04. It's temporary, until I can scrounge up enough cash for win7. I have never tried to game on Linux... I haven't even been able to successfully run anything through Wine
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5 GHz RAM: 4 GB 800 MHz
    Graphics: XFX ATi Radeon HD 5770
    Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard Mouse/Surface: Razer Imperator/Vespula