Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738

Thread: 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Default Re: 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifying

A serious question - do people really believe that the draws are fixed? Really?

Funny that the only time when international football is relevant, all the talk is about things off the pitch.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Treva ★'s Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac View Post
    I do. Some results were already known the day before the ceremony. But you have to host the ceremony anyway because FIFA charges TV and radio broadcasters a lot of money for the 'privilege' of watching it.
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!
    Dè a tha Montrose Mór ag ràdh?
    Heavy Metal will never die. - Sir Christopher Frank Carrandini Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Treva, the Renewer View Post
    I do. Some results were already known the day before the ceremony. But you have to host the ceremony anyway because FIFA charges TV and radio broadcasters a lot of money for the 'privilege' of watching it.
    The draw-process is incredibly meticulously outlined- information more or less easy to access. Thats not really indicative of a conspiracy to put nation xyz into their place/elevate nation rst to the upper' tier. Are you suggesting that the nationality of a few executive is a hint of conspiracy?

For what purpose would there even be one? To get a hypothetical upper hand in the group stage, 6 months ahead? Have they stored exchangable hamstrings & knee ligaments for the injured key' players in a hidden room?

Nothing to gain for FIFA but a giant controversy that is likely to undermine the only international crowd-puller they have for essentially unpredictable mockery. No chance.
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.

They are already mocked at every step.

But, yes, Argentina had secured Group F beforehand and the promise of an easy group. Why Group F? Because of logistics. They play in stadia where the weather is not that terrible and they don't have to move about so much.
    If they haev done it, why can't others?
    The tentacled horror from beyond my stars spoke, and von Neumann help me, in my madness, I understood its words.
    СИНДИКАТ!

sabaku_no_gaara's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

I wonder, if England where to preform like crap in the WC if this will cause clubs to buy less foreign players and invest more in the English youth?

The fact that you are bringing in all these youthfull talented foreigners and hardening them in the premier league is maybe making your clubs stronger, but it's weakening your national team and improving other nations national teams.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post
    I wonder, if England where to preform like crap in the WC if this will cause clubs to buy less foreign players and invest more in the English youth?
    It won't influence that in the slightest unless the FA forces them to by implementing rules, which would honestly be a ridiculous decision.

Quote Originally Posted by sabaku_no_gaara View Post

The fact that you are bringing in all these youthfull talented foreigners and hardening them in the premier league is maybe making your clubs stronger, but it's weakening your national team and improving other nations national teams.
    Its down to more than just "buying foreigners."

please elaborate

Well, the poor don't play ball as much as before and don't dream of becoming rich through football like people in other countries do.
    СИНДИКАТ!

...and if money is the main objective of a talented player, they'll reach it by the age of 20. Various Chelsea-youth players get 10-20k per week. Even our dear Filip Twardzik has a pricy Range Rover-stuffed garage. If football is only a job to you - there is no motivation past this point.

Another thing to notice is that youth players in the big metropoli have a lot of issues. Some newspapers have deals with frequently-visited nightclubs for their "exclusive stories." Might be targeted, might be innocent interest but the average of the law is that young, prospective footballer get torpedoed by women. Usually not the thoughtful, caring, enlightening sort. The "I suck up all your self-respect and leave you with a gossip war/sex video/rape trial"-type. Its not a specifically english problem as I'm (was...) fairly close to an aspring footballer that played in Bayern München's II-team, got in the youth national team and all the same problems. Plays in the Bayernliga now. What is worse though, is the media portrayal. Its a millionaires' sandbox, high expectation with low trust, everybody can be replaced within months - funded for by SKY, and promoted with stock hyperbole catchphrases by an unquestioning media pack too used to being lavishly treated on match days.

To say it bluntly - a lot of distraction. I wouldn't blame them, they have it really hard and a lot of people are collecting the ammunition for the stonings even in their minutes of glory. Reversed Stockholm-syndrom.

Coaching might be an issue as well as the evident cautiosness about implementing youngsters has its reasons in the survival at all costs for the majority, with a few to aim at a coveted 4th place finish and even fewer the actual championship, which is now rated not by goals scored but by prize money.

The problem is that you buy players abroad to be put int he first team or to be prepared for the first team thus you aren't giving English players the chance to develop and gain needed first team experience on a high level. Instead you are giving foreigners this experience.

Look at Belgium, they are seen as a potential dark horse, with a strong national squad, most of their players have had their football education the Netherlands, England, France and Germany, for instance, Man united snatched Januzaj away from Anderlecht's youth academy, he's being trained now to one day kick the England teams arse thanks to high level first team experience.

Man U recently tried to buy a 12 year old from Anderlecht's youth academy, Chelsea has loads of Belgians etc..

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Erebus Pasha View Post
    I think Brazil were always in line for a smoother ride than the rest, given that they're the hosts.
    I'm not so sure over the smother ride in their group, it looks tough to me.
    Yes, they do not have Spain and Germany but yet their opponents are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold_Mac View Post

Funny that the only time when international football is relevant, all the talk is about things off the pitch.
    There was some trickery with France's seeding iirc, Platini used his magic stick.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"