Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) v1.4.2 (25-Sep) [3.2 compatible]

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) - [3 Apr 11] Details added

Quote Originally Posted by Venatio View Post
    AragonElessar mentioned the Dwarves of Oakenshield armor crash on the first page.
    So he did. This one slipped through the cracks. Thanks for mentioning it; I'll take a look.

Unless quest rewards are set once you receive the quest, changing the priority level did not seem to help at all. I still got my Riders (at this point I felt obliged to disband the set). Sure, I love cavalry support, but I am a Dwarf Commander! Having to many horsies running around gets me easily distracted -_- . Hopefully your idea works better.

On a side note, I am having a drearily boring campaign. Dale is brutalizing Rhun (leaving my backyard to quiet), the Ootms use little more than snaga, and the only reason Gundabad is proving somewhat challenging is because of the garrison script and stack spawns (which I find cheap).

Quote Originally Posted by Venatio View Post
    Unless quest rewards are set once you receive the quest, changing the priority level did not seem to help at all. I still got my Riders (at this point I felt obliged to disband the set). Sure, I love cavalry support, but I am a Dwarf Commander! Having to many horsies running around gets me easily distracted -_- . Hopefully your idea works better.
    Let's hope so. Thanks for reporting back anyway - at least we know we can rule that out. And yes, disbanding them is the best thing to do. It was designed to give you no more than four units, staggered over the campaign; cursed missions!

The general_unit attribute prevents the AI from recruiting them. Hopefully this also includes mission rewards. It would make sense and I certainly have never seen bodyguard units been given as a reward. Fingers crossed eh?

These fixes have been ready to go for some weeks now, waiting on Hero of the West to release a new MOS. But he's been very busy, poor chap.

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Some reflection on the Spawning Unit Elven Rangers

1) Awesome Really brings forth the LotR-feeling with this unit being more Elladan and Elrohir than these guys are themself in TATW ^^

2) They are good; very good against armour once they got that upgrade, afraid they never got time to hunt some Orcs before that occured so cant say how much better they got. Even glad they are just 20 while having such impact, more fun (perhaps not better from a mini-max point of view) on the battlefield to have them as a surgical commando unit in battle, than if they where more troops but with less attack value.

3) They are Rangers, and elven such ones. I wanted to have them as a very fast support unit at my long eastern front, to send them where I though the next assult would land or where enemy reinforcement sneaked around and had to be hunted down. But they are as fast as a hobbit archer unit... Of course it's the übertrained MILITA HOBBITS, but at least the elves have longer legs I belive...
    Feels really odd is my point and as the rangers are so few it would make them more usefull overall if their movmentpoints on the strategy map were to be increased

4) The buildings look fine, a drawback was instead the event-pic we see once we may accept the rangers or not as well as when we may upgrade them (think it was the same then). When we start a campaign to chose the mod, a pic on the in game unit is fine, but else it differs from the other events to have such. It would enhance/mantain the feeling/illusion if there would be another eventpic than the current ingame [after we chosen to use the Additional Units]. PM if you want some quick suggestions.

Overall a great submod
    Last edited by Ngugi; June 18, 2011 at 01:49 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Well, thanks very much Ngugi. And so neatly laid out too.

1) Thank you. I originally created the ERs because I wanted my Eriador to have an anti-troll AP unit. But I chose Elves because I really liked the idea of inter-faction cooperation. (And Rangers because I love Rangers.)

2) Hmm, yes, there isn't a lot of time between the first unit arriving and getting the upgrade option. I have timed the upgrade to roughly coincide with troll arrival. Maybe the first unit could appear a bit earlier.

3) As far as I know campaign map movement speed can not be modified for individual units, only character types: generals/captains, spies, diplomats, etc. A shame this, it would open up some interesting possibilities otherwise. e.g. I was hoping to use it to slow down non-Elves through Forest Paths.

4) Sure, some ideas would be great. I'll PM you but you're welcome to post them here of course.

@ With
    I hate the webb so much! All my comments on your last post got lost and no I can not be bothered to write it again

To bad with the movement though!

Attach the pics I have in mind for anybody to comment. Two of elves and three of rangers. Elves got an edge but a ranger will always (?) look like a ranger.
    Last edited by Ngugi; November 11, 2012 at 08:41 AM.

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I feel your pain Ngugi. Sometimes there's just no going Back to reclaim that lost post.

Thanks for the pics. It reminded me that I did make an extra event pic: when the Forge is available. (Attached.) Yes, I should do some more.

Back in the inspired early days I considered making a little movie of the ERs walking towards a castle on the battle map.

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Thanks for the pics. It reminded me that I did make an extra event pic: when the Forge is available. (Attached.)
    Nice choise for such an event, excellent for the overall feeling! Please add =)

Thanks, but it is already in, since MOS 5.0. And you didn't notice it. See why these are low down on the priority list?

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Thanks, but it is already in, since MOS 5.0. And you didn't notice it. See why these are low down on the priority list?
    No, I didn't get that event[pic], would hace noticed, I am keeping an active eye out for all event pics at the moment; was just pics of the house in connection to the building and upgrade of the rangers. Or was I totoaly lost ATM of that? I will find out, now I'm annoyed!

Hmm, strange that you missed it then. I'll check it in MOS again.

EDIT: I just checked MOS 5.2 and all seems to be in order. You should have seen this message to let you know that the Forge is now buildable. (See attached.)

However, there is no picture for the "Forge Built" message. Just a vanilla M2TW one... something wrong there.
    Last edited by Withwnar; June 19, 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Yes, and the event for Elven Rangers Upgraded is a munk-pic from M2 as well
    I understand its not prioritated, really, but as they say in advertising its often a matter of repetition. If we see a pic we connect it to something (in this case) good and the second or third time we see it we will react with greater joy than without the pic once more. Might not help you as the creator, but belive it will make the experience better for user

Now, as I made a speed run as Eriador as was quite fun, M/M but not allowed to play battles (how the F do Eriador survive as AI-faction? You "always" lose against Gundabad haha). I looked at the turns when the rangers come and so on to give a thought and my feeling about it.
    At H/H or VH/VH and with a decently aggresive behaviour your economy should begin to become good again around turn 30 after a/the Big Depression, so speaking. The rangers arrives at turn 25 and only 5 turns later you may build the Forge. Both in this speed run and in my VH/VH-campaign I got upgraded rangers at turn 35-37.

- I would suggest you made the rangers avilable at turn 15 or latest 20, thats when your economy is always total crap and the arrival would be of great relife and mirth to any player.
    Also you would be given time to actualy use the rangers before they become upgraded (as you should be rich enough to build the Forge almost directly at turn 30 - and most often then will build+upgrade).
    - Pehaps should the forge be dealyed to 35-40? Just a thought, nothing I argue for, to further prolong the time you use the rangers before and thus make the upgrade even more significant and appriciated. Could have the drawback that the longer the campaign goes on the less usefull will rangers become as you get more alternatives and a better economy, from that perspective you have to make them better quite soon and not wait too long (what is too long is tricky question hehe).

Think this is all ^^ Sorry if it became a lot of points since my first post about it, but once you start you could finish with some ambition EDIT: by which I mean ambition from my part in my personal evaluation of the submod, not your work on the submod LOL
    Last edited by Ngugi; June 19, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Spelling and layout

Those missing pictures were an oversight on my part. I will rectify that. By low priority I meant spending hours making different pictures for each event, which will only be seen once. Still, it does add to the experience, I agree.

I like the thought of them arriving during that period where morale is low due to bad economy. Very good, I'll move it back a few turns. And delaying the forge to be "more significant and appreciated" sounds good to me too.

Thanks a lot Ngugi. This is great feedback and much appreciated. I'll add some rep to your queue.

Here is a patch for MOS 5.2, fixing the crashes related to upgrading the armour of Dale Riders and Dwarves of the Oakenshield.

It is save game compatible but only compatible with MOS 5.2.

If you are using any other submods on top of MOS 5.2 (e.g. MOS Expansion Project) then DO NOT use this update; follow the "Manual Instructions" instead.

Instructions (for vanilla MOS 5.2)
    1. Make a backup copy of battle_models.modeldb from the mod's Third_Age_SP\data\unit_models folder
    2. Download the attachment and unzip it somewhere. There is just one file: battle_models.modeldb.
    3. Replace the mod's file with this new one

Manual Instructions You only need to do this if using other submods on top of MOS 5.2.

The file is battle_models.modeldb in the mod's Third_Age_SP\data\unit_models folder of the MOS installation. Make a backup copy of this file.

Open the file (the original, not the backup) and make these changes...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Code:
    15 horseguards_upg 
    1 1 
    48 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/ddhg_lod0.mesh 6400 
    8 scotland 
    65 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/rhovanion_dale.texture 
    67 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/textures/rhovanion_normal.texture 
    44 unit_sprites/scotland_horseguards_sprite.spr
    4 merc 
    8 scotland 
    51 unit_models/AttachmentSets/dale_equip4_diff.texture 
    51 unit_models/AttachmentSets/dale_equip4_norm.texture 0 
    4 merc 
    TO:
    Code:
    15 horseguards_upg 
    1 1 
    48 unit_models/_Units/EN_Lmail_Hmail/ddhg_lod0.mesh 6400 
    8 scotland 
    4 merc 
    5 moors 
    8 scotland 
    4 merc 
    5 moors 
    And also this...

Code:
    32 saus_dd_dale_dwarves_soldier_upg
    1 1 
    53 unit_models/_Units/saus/spu_dd_dale_dwarves_lod0.mesh 6400
    TO:
    Code:
    32 saus_dd_dale_dwarves_soldier_upg
    1 1 
    54 unit_models/_Units/saus/saus_dd_dale_dwarves_lod0.mesh 6400
    Save the file and away you go.

My thanks to AragornElessar for mentioning the CTD bug and Venatio for reminding me.
    Last edited by Withwnar; June 25, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

jerguc's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) - [FIX] [25 Jun 11] Armour upgrade CTD patch

the gondor units have CTDs also.
    the osgiliath veterans and heav eored lancers.

Default Re: Spawning Additional Units Submod (SAUS) - [FIX] [25 Jun 11] Armour upgrade CTD patch

Nothing to do with this submod. SAUS = Elven Rangers, Riders of Dale and Dwarves of the Oakenshield.

I suggest that you raise this in the thread of whatever submod added them. MOS?

He is playing MOS or taros additional Gondor units. But indeed it has nothing to do with SAUS.

Withwnar any future plans for this submod?

Borussia Dortmund fan

Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Withwnar any future plans for this submod?
    I have some minor alterations ready to roll. But nothing new as such.

Somebody had that idea about Rohan and Gondor which could be interesting. But I'm lacking time and motivation at the moment. Plus I've been working on other things, despite the previous sentence. And response has been very thin on the ground so it's not exactly top priority for me.

But if you have any good ideas then sing out. It might just spark some enthusiasm.

Thank you With for the new patch!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Si votre cannon tire, nos rochers n'en seront pas epouvantés

Waldesian fighter to French officer demanding surrender,
    Battle of Balziglia, 24th of may, 1690

You're welcome Rora.

The crazy thing is it never occurred to me that I could release a save game compatible patch for this. Here I was waiting for the next version of MOS. What's even worse is that I completely forgot that I had released such a patch for MOS 5.1, fixing the Riders.