Thread: FCRC-Teutonic Order Review/Questions

Default FCRC-Teutonic Order Review/Questions

A couple of observations regarding playing as the Teutonic Order.

I started a campaign on H/H.. I've progressed unto 1210 and have conquered the baltic cities from Thorn to Novgrod. It has been a difficult go as my cities constantly revolt and the Mongols and Rus do not like me. BTW I've played many many mods and wouldn't consider myself a Noob.

A couple of few observations:

1. I cannot recruit units from my conquered cities other than levies. Novgrod has a population of 5,000 and all I can train are the 3 turn levies. I've tried to destoy my buildings and build new ones. I still can't recruit. I think that I should be able to train some "local" type units. Also I can't train archers.

2. Cities that I control (Riga, Talin, Vilnius for example) don't seem to convert from paganism to christianity very well. It seems that the negative effects of the motte tend to overwhelm the positive effects of charracters and holy places. Perhaps some tweaks to conversion factors or a building that increases the conversion rates could be added. I know that realistically the Teutons had a rough go of it, but I've had cities for 15+ and they are 100% pagan and therefore very difficult to manage,

3. I've been involved in a couple of battles where my allies have helped. I teamed up with Hungary to capture the large prussian city (kalingrad??). This is one of the few mods that it pays to have allies.

4. When I captured the city, the population was 60% christian but the official religion was paganism, resulting in unrest. Is there a way to change the official religion? I destoyed all buildings and built "holy places", still no change.

5. Enemy battle AI seems pretty decent but enemy generals take forever to kill. I can have 100+ men fighting one general.

6. Good unit detail

7. Overall a fun mod with a few gliches.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default Re: FCRC-Teutonic Order Review/Questions

Excellent
    *coughs*, okay, em, let me answer the questions:
    1. build the "feudalisation" tree; it's Chiv's main "barracks" kind of building (the first level is called Land Grant, iirc).
    2+4. Something done by the RTW enigne, I'm afraid Your best bet would be to build martial law, and then start developing the church buildings (anything above the holy places will make the official religion Christian). Then, simultaneously end martial law (that's a separate building ) in all your cities.
    I'll try to find another way in the patch
    3. Yay!
    5. I didn't do unit balancing except for the units added in FCRC; you'll have to post that in the regular Chiv forum to get DaVinci's reasoning behind that
    6 + 7. Yay!

Thanks for the reply... I have a hard time getting enough population to build anything more than 1st level religious structures. Perhaps instead of putting the conquered populace to the sword I should let them live and attempt to manage the unrest. Playing as the Teutons is as about as hard as it gets in RTW mods. IMO playing as the Norwiegans in Norman Invasion is tougher, but it's close. I haven't tried playing as the Byzantines yet tough.

Byzantines are probably harder

No indeed; your income in the TO campaign comes mainly from taxes. As such, having a larger population is better than having some fast "instant money" by putting the population to the sword
    I found it to be pretty manageable, once you know what to do.

Byzantines are utterly impossible.

The generals being strong is intended. Cavalry dominated in the medieval era, and the generals would surround themselves with the best cavalry. Also it makes it harder to kill them as a cheap tactic.
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

I was almost going to say "that's almost like an argument coming from the RSII forums", but then I remembered

My battle tactics generally involve my entire royal household charging on horse back into hundreds of russian peasants, archers and spears. Then slaughtering them as they run. Worked well until I tried it with the Mongols, they are a much tougher cookie. BTW the Ritterbruder are well skinned, kudos.

Yes; Baltic tribes aren't hard. Mongols, Poles and Danes are a lot harder to crack, mainly because they're actual factions