Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fixed AI Custom Battle - 100% Unscripted

Default Re: Fixed AI Custom Battle - 100% Unscripted

Well, i won the first one in hard, and won the second one in very hard. Both times i used a defensive not well thinked formations.
    But, what the hell, i noticed some improvements here, in the first one i tried to flank them and they responded well, at the same time one unit of his cavalry tried to flank me, and here there was a little mistake, they did it crossing in front of my line, taking some casualitys from archers (not many though) and then...the mistake...they stayed still, and i didn't hesitate and attacked them with my reserve of yari.

For the second one i started in another locations, and ended up surronding them completely in a move similar to cannae that wasnt planned.

Okay, that doesn't sound too good, but actually the battles were more interesting and fun that the ones in ETW (were surrounding was incredibly easy) and napoleon (were they give a walk under heavy fire). This time they flank, they advance in formations, interesting, yup yup, perhaps S2TW patched and darth modded will be awesome.
    Im going to test it some more.

Some pics of the 2 battles:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1º Battle formation:

The first thing i did was tryng the counter flanking of the IA...¡¡An they did!!

And not with 1 cavalry, but with the exact amount of troops needed. They divided their army in 2.

Mixed feelings about this one, they tried to flank me, but with not enought forces, and in the decisive moment they stood still, my yari kick their as##.
    Behind this, you can see that 2 of my cav units are being killed while i escape with the last one for charging a lonely archer unit (that always is left behind by the way).

Trying to surround the flank unit but their renforcements killed them all. The main army, partially weakened for this flanking are engaging.

They died, but my 3º cav unit reachs them from behind.

They charge the archers. While attacking their flanks in the main front.

End of Battle 1

Battle Nº2:

I first decided to try something stupid here, trying to confuse the IA by doing things that even i hadnt planned.
    But ended up being an interesting Cannae-kined battle.

I formed at a diferint spot of the 1º battle.

Archers ready to fire.

Cavalry attacked archers again of course, one ended up routing, the rest i commanded them to retreat to safety positions behind the yari ashigaru.

As you can see, they didn't flank me as i originally expected, so my 2 yari samurais units are in a stupid position, my arches retreat. and the thin line of yari ashigaru prepares for battle.

They attempted to destroy my cavalry with only 1 unit, pretty stupid but i didn't see them coming, i almost lost it for distractions.
    The first thing i tought to do, was to reinforce the line of ahisgaru with my samurais, but i decided something else. So i put my samurais in a half moon formation and prepared to a flanking attack with my yari samurais that were already in a good position.

The ashigaru line its almost over. Archers keep firing.

I surround the unit that fighted against my cav.

And the tide changed. As they get surrounded.

Its a shame thay they rout fast. Couse a charge from the back with my 3 cav units would been fuc#~€ awesome!!.

They reached to charge the archers in their back and kill the routing army though.

Forgive my english. Not my native language.
    Last edited by Sir Sesshaku; March 01, 2011 at 11:32 AM.

TheColdTruth's Avatar Ordinarius

Good stuff Mitch! Keep it up +rep

Thanks a lot mate for the mod. I have been downloading all the mods that you made and quite frankly, you have clearly made the Shogun 2 demo exciting as it first came out =D
    Anyway, I played it on VH in my first attempt and won. I put the yari spear in the first row, followed by archers, and samurais at the very back along with my general (they would be used to reinforce in case if the yaris broke rank). I covered both of my flanks with cavalries. I think the AI has tendency to attack face to face so you might want to put expendables at the very front as cannon fodder to absorb the charge. I also reckoned that only the AI's cavalries were capable of flanking and changing targets as they charged. Provided some extra challenge though, unlike those empire and napoleon AIs D'oh!
    The key to win the battle is by as quickly remove the enemy general. Once it is dead, the enemy's units especially yari units will soon break rank in mass (provided you keep the pressure on and charged their rear as well).

Uraikol's Avatar Libertus

First of all, awesome job Mitch! Absolutely loved the battle!
    Here's how my first battle on hard went:
    I deployed my troops in a tight, 3 lined formation (yari samurai in the front, katana samurai in the middle and archers in the back) with my yari ashigaru protecting the flanks. I managed to minimize the casualties on my melee units by putting them in loose formation to protect them from arrows. The AI split up it's army in 2 groups and charged me and I responded by doing the same thing while keeping my bowmen back. The AI tried to flank me with it's cavalry but my yari ashigaru dealt with them pretty quick and was then able to join the other melee units in the fighting. To ensure that my men would keep fighting I moved my general back and forth between the 2 conflicts to ensure that my men would fight to the last. I noticed that the AI tried to kill my general with it's bowmen so I charged them with my cavalry and dealt with them pretty quick and then reinforced my main force by charging the AI's rear flank. The AI then charged their general into the battle, but I made short work of him with my archers. Soon after that the AI's army routed and I was victorious.

I did encounter a couple of bugs during the battle. One of them were that I couldn't see the enemy troops morale, speed etc. It only said what unit it was and how many troops there were (Ex: Yari Ashigaru - 200/200). Though when I moused over my own units it was normal. The other bug (actually I don't know if it was a bug, but it was weird) was that the AI left an entire unit of yari samurai in it's deployment zone during the entire battle. Any idea what might have caused the bugs?

Once again, awesome job Mitch!

Quote Originally Posted by Uraikol View Post
    The other bug (actually I don't know if it was a bug, but it was weird) was that the AI left an entire unit of yari samurai in it's deployment zone during the entire battle. Any idea what might have caused the bugs?

Once again, awesome job Mitch!
    That looks like its a bug with the map, the yari can't get down from a small hillock, it's more an extension of the mountain than anything else.

EDIT: Oh, and this is awesome! Does this just alter the AI, or can I have this and another battle pack in the data folder without it slowing down?
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Same as Mitchs mod just with different factions,units and I haven't changed the original map.

Last edited by Birk; March 01, 2011 at 12:37 PM.

i played mitch's battle twice, but i keep on losing! it feels like the AI got better units :S

WorDhammer's Avatar Foederatus

well done Mitch! +50000 genius
    Budo is not a means of felling the opponent by force or by lethal weapons. Neither is it intended to lead the world to destruction by arms and other illegitimate means. True Budo calls for bringing the inner energy of the universe in order, protecting the peace of the world , as well as preserving, everything in nature in its right form.
    If your opponent tries to pull you, let him pull. Don't pull against him; pull in unison with him.
    Aikido does not rely on weapons or brute force to succeed; instead we put ourselves in tune with the universe, maintain peace in our own realms, nurture life, and prevent death and destruction. The true meaning of the term "samurai" is one who serves and adheres to the power of love.

-Morihei Ueshiba

Just read your battle report, and I'm going to have a go myself now... Let's hope I get an equally tricky battle.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

I have to say - I'm thoroughly impressed with this AI. While it is still beatable thanks to human ability to adapt to the situation as compared to an AI's quite rigid planning, I actually had to put down thought and tactics into the battle I was playing. I believe that campaigns will now be far more challenging on the harder difficulty levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

HissingNewt's Avatar Vicarius

Just played my first one on the FixedAI map. Ended up winning by having the archers put fences down in front to screen from a cavalry charge while my spearmen took the flanks. I ended up having a front much wider than any other battle I've played so far, and it worked well. My cavalry overwhelmed theirs two on one on one side and one cavalry and Yari Samurai on their cavalry unit on the other. After that I got to charge into their back field and start hunting down the bowmen (who had been trying to pick off my general).

"Hullabaloo, caneck! Caneck!"

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Birks screenshots are in an older version of my mod where the battle was still set to day.
    Any chance for a day version?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

One of the best things I think will be that your small armies really now can't compete against the large.

So couple even better AI in the final release with an awsome CAI and it should be one hell of a campaign.

Could you maybe release one with equally experienced troups?

All the enemy units have two ^ experience while only couple of my own units have any experience.

Still, very interesting moves from the AI. Lost twice.

pointwolf's Avatar Tiro

@Mitch great stuff so far. Is there any difference between Hard and Very Hard. Cause ... i cant loose there are interesting moves by the ai but no flat lands it almoust always starts with the flanking cav. And i almoust always meet the other army half the way i dont wait for it.

what are the other battle mods you need to uninstall? and how do you start a battle? do i need another mod to play this? sorry for unexperience with mods :\

Birk's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Merino View Post
    Could you maybe release one with equally experienced troups?

All the enemy units have two ^ experience while only couple of my own units have any experience.

Still, very interesting moves from the AI. Lost twice.
    Here you go!

Replaced the one that made the game freeze with a version that actually works.
    Last edited by Birk; March 01, 2011 at 01:32 PM.

pointwolf's Avatar Tiro

Birk game frooze. Can't start the battle.

Tried the battle on very hard, but for me it ar pretty easy. Just have a compact formation and cavalary on the flank and you will win
    http://skrivbordsgeneralen.se/
    Sveriges största forum för Total war och Men of War!

pointwolf's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Lusen View Post
    Tried the battle on very hard, but for me it ar pretty easy. Just have a compact formation and cavalary on the flank and you will win
    Same way here. If you wanna mix it up. Group your cavallry faaar far away on the flank meet the AI half the way. Don't deffend but attack. I also make another group with my no-dachi and a spear unit on the other flank so it could be more interesting . When the action starts then send in your nodachi and cav to support...if you can hold out until they come that is...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast