Thread: Rome Medieval 3: FAQ

Default Rome Medieval 3: FAQ

Rome Medieval 3: Total War FAQ

Please, read carefully this section before posting your questions and/or suggestions.

Q. Why a medieval mod?

A: The Middle Ages were times of many powerful nations rising, but none of them was able to establish order over Europe, as the Roman Empire had done before. It is in that context that it is possible to find the adequate ingredients for an environment of total war.

Another reason is that we wanted to make something different. There are so many mods featuring the Roman times that we felt we wouldn’t be able to contribute with anything more or less interesting if we just tried to develop another Roman/Ancient world mod.

Q: Is this mod just a porting of M2TW to RTW engine?

A: No, it’s not. Rome Medieval has its own identity, which is reflected on the gameplay of the mod, the different units which are available and a lot of other aspects which makes it unique (as any other good mod). Although having

Last but not least, we can say that this mod was intentionally developed on RTW engine because we want everyone to be able to play it. And every time we include a new feature to the mod, we pay special attention to the “performance” factor: if it makes the game become too heavy to run, it’s not worth including it.

Q: What factions are available to play with?

A: In Rome Medieval, you can play with the following factions:
    • Kingdom of England
    • Kingdom of France
    • Kingdom of Sicily
    • Holy Roman Empire
    • Kingdom of Poland
    • Grand Duchy of Lithuania (see faction preview here)
    • Kingdom Of Castile and Leon
    • Ayyubid Sultanate
    • Kievan Rus'
    • The Turkish Sultanates
    • Crusader States
    • Kingdom Of Denmark
    • Kingdom of Scotland
    • Teutonic Order
    • Khwarezm Shahdom
    • The Byzantine Empire
    • Al Mowahids
    • The Mongol Empire
    • Republic of Venice
    • Kingdom Of Hungary

All of them are available for custom battles and campaign, except for the Mongol Empire which cannot be used in campaign mode.

Q: What about the Papal States?

A: The Papal States are not featured as a faction in this mod. Due to the hardcoded faction slot limit implied in the RTW engine, we preferred including other factions which have a more developed military profile.

Q: So, if there is no Papal States faction, there are no missions from the Pope, right?

A: No, there are no missions from the Pope, at least for now. However, it is our desire to include scripted missions from the Vatican in the future.

Q: Are there gunpowder units in Rome Medieval 3?

A: Yes. Up to now, we have cannons and other gunpowder siege equipment in the mod. In the future, there will be hand gunners, gunners’ cavalry and other special units. In addition, we will include new smoke effects and sounds.

Q: Is there any Provincial Campaign? And what about Historical Battles?

A: None of them is available right now, although we are thinking of including some Historical Battles in future releases of the mod.

Q: What are you planning to include in your next release?

A: We will include the following things:
    • Sounds patch with voices in their original languages for each faction (italian, english, french, spanish, russian, german).
    • New units, including gunpowder units and some heroes.
    • New faction: Grand Duchy of Lithuania
    • Medieval traits and ancillaries system, which will take into account every factions’ religion.
    • New strat models for cities and ships
    • New visual and sounds effects for battles.
    • Major unit stats rebalance, and better balance of factions in campaign.
    • New animations for phalanxes, cavalry, archers and cannons.

A full description of the contents for next patch can be found here.

Q: When will the next patch be released?

A: Short answer: when it’s ready. Long answer: We expect to finish it before the end of the year, but the truth is that it’s very difficult to predict the times of a mod. Three factors affect the release date: we are just 2 people working on the mod, both of us have our own private lives which have priority over modding, and besides all the time new ideas are coming to our minds. The only fact we can state is that when the patch is out, you will not be disappointed.

Q: Is Rome Medieval 3 modfoldered?

A: Yes, it is. You shouldn’t have any problem with other mods, or with the original game.

Q: Will you port this mod to BI/Alexander?

A: Not for now. Anyway, the mod is fully compatible with BI.exe and alex.exe, and you are encouraged to use them, especially alex.exe as it improves the AI performance (read here for further instructions).

Q: Is there any possibility of playing this mod online?

A: Yes, you can either play it as any other RTW mod, or join the official Hamachi network. Take a look at this thread for further instructions.

Q: Ok, you convinced me… what do I need in order to play this good-looking mod?

A: First, you need a clean install of Rome Total War 1.5. Second, download the official release of Rome Medieval 3 from this thread and install it to your RTW folder. Third, download the latest hotfix from this thread and install it to your RTW folder as well.

Q: I cannot install the mod, I’m receiving a message saying that it cannot install the “uninstall32.dll” file, what shall I do?

A: Just install the mod to your desktop, and then cut it and paste it into your Rome Total War folder.

Q: I’ve been playing your mod and I really liked it! But I’m suffering some CTDs. How can I solve the problem?

A: Although the current version of the mod has been tested and is thought to be stable, you might get some CTDs, especially when playing campaign or when starting a siege battle. First of all, we recommend checking that you have the mod correctly patched to the last hotfix available (see this thread). In addition, you should save your game frequently when playing campaign, to avoid losing your progress at any eventuality. Always try to reload your campaign before reporting a problem.

If you have any question, you can write it down in this thread and we will try to help you.
    Last edited by Mataputas; March 01, 2011 at 06:30 AM.
    There are none so enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free

Graceycles's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Rome Medieval 3: FAQ

Very good Mataputas!
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" - Edgar Allan Poe

"A day of battle is a day of harvest for the devil" - William Hooke

Proud Hoser