Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Movement Speed Reduction - NEW v2.0

Default Re: Movement Speed Reduction - NEW v2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    The problem is that reality rarely ever transfers well to gameplay. and considering how much the AI likes to spam archer units, slowing things down can literally turn them into killing machines, making balanced armeis a waste of time. I think adding a couple points of base armor may fix the issue though, it will allow archers to still be effective but help to negate the effect that the 1 extra volley they'll get in this mod.
    Adding armor is no problem, my issue is just the number of volleys fired. Lowering the number of volleys i dont like the idea of because i know that *I* can get that many shots off. Changing the damage each volley causes....go ahead if you want weaker archer

Personally i didnt like how weak they were before. Slowing unit speed down makes archers worth while for me. Even Archer heavy AI armies i can still handle because i just use loose formation while im getting close which really helps cut down on casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by rob-a-dogg View Post
    Adding armor is no problem, my issue is just the number of volleys fired. Lowering the number of volleys i dont like the idea of because i know that *I* can get that many shots off. Changing the damage each volley causes....go ahead if you want weaker archer

Personally i didnt like how weak they were before. Slowing unit speed down makes archers worth while for me. Even Archer heavy AI armies i can still handle because i just use loose formation while im getting close which really helps cut down on casualties.
    To each his own i suppose! I'm using zowraths 20% slower reload and I find it satisfactory. (even though it affects all units like siege cata's) for me it was more about keeping the balance I suppose, I liked the reload speed when I could move faster, but I wanted to move slower cause I felt it was too fast. so I think with me using the 20% slower reload, + 20%inf 10cav I've found a suitable balance to my tastes.

why I like mods. there is something just right for almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    why I like mods. there is something just right for almost everyone.
    Indeed. At first I had plans for making a bigger mod, when the time and tools come, but I wonder if I should just make many smaller instead that are compatible with each other. That way people can just pick and choose which ones they like to combine. If I make a bigger one people would have to accept the whole package and chances are some of the total modifications would not be right for everyone.

That being said, I'm glad these two small mods work well together.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by zowrath View Post
    Indeed. At first I had plans for making a bigger mod, when the time and tools come, but I wonder if I should just make many smaller instead that are compatible with each other. That way people can just pick and choose which ones they like to combine. If I make a bigger one people would have to accept the whole package and chances are some of the total modifications would not be right for everyone.

I like that Idea because at least for me, this Total war is far more palatable in its vanilla form. Sure, there are a lot of things I hope to change. Skins, some units, perhaps something that adds more traits. But to be honest the only Major mod for Empire I ever got into was darths, but that was only because I disliked the vanilla game. This one.. I don't.

I can see there being a much bigger market for the Vanilla experience, with some tweaks.

Quote Originally Posted by zowrath View Post

You mean like a mod pack with a zillion little options you can change? That definitely sounds great . So many mods ive been put off by because of one or two features that i didnt really like or were too changed for my liking.

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Anyone have any observations on how this affects relative speed in grouped movement? By that I mean, horses ramming into your infantry when trying to move the whole bunch from A to B in an orderly fashion. The inconsistency is a vanilla issue for sure, but has anyone found a way to get somewhat consistent behavior out of their little samurai guy's marching behavior? When the battle opens, I find grouping then right click dragging (so your formation rotates from the top left corner and remains fixed width) will achieve the desired behavior (cavalry slows down to facilitate proper group spacing). However, once the initial move is over, all such niceties go out the window. It's like there's some method implemented that gets broken circumstantially. I guess my question is: what are those circumstances? Sometimes it seems like terrain type and/or grade make a difference, but I'm not certain.

I ask here, Yarkis, in your mod thread since you and others here are obviously all interested in getting troop movement into some reasonable facsimile of reality. My impression is that the mod doesn't really have any impact on the noted (in)consistency. It certainly does have otherwise agreeable effects, obviously.

edit: This was a problem in ETW and NTW as well. I can't recall if there was ever a definitive solution.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; March 23, 2011 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Anyone have any observations on how this affects relative speed in grouped movement? By that I mean, horses ramming into your infantry when trying to move the whole bunch from A to B in an orderly fashion. The inconsistency is a vanilla issue for sure, but has anyone found a way to get somewhat consistent behavior out of their little samurai guy's marching behavior? When the battle opens, I find grouping then right click dragging (so your formation rotates from the top left corner and remains fixed width) will achieve the desired behavior (cavalry slows down to facilitate proper group spacing). However, once the initial move is over, all such niceties go out the window. It's like there's some method implemented that gets broken circumstantially. I guess my question is: what are those circumstances? Sometimes it seems like terrain type and/or grade make a difference, but I'm not certain.

I ask here, Yarkis, in your mod thread since you and others here are obviously all interested in getting troop movement into some reasonable facsimile of reality. My impression is that the mod doesn't really have any impact on the noted (in)consistency. It certainly does have otherwise agreeable effects, obviously.

edit: This was a problem in ETW and NTW as well. I can't recall if there was ever a definitive solution.
    I believe the solution is
    1) Group the unit,
    2) Select preset formation,
    3) redo formation to your liking.
    4) Ungroup
    5) Regroup
    6) Issue march orders - all march in formation w/ no clashes

I believe this works even with the normal group command but cannot recall whether there were any clashes. Did not pay close attention to this matter so cannot recall whether they were still clashes or whether the problem was solved.

Hope the above helps

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Krenshaw View Post
    I believe the solution is
    1) Group the unit,
    2) Select preset formation,
    3) redo formation to your liking.
    4) Ungroup
    5) Regroup
    6) Issue march orders - all march in formation w/ no clashes

I believe this works even with the normal group command but cannot recall whether there were any clashes. Did not pay close attention to this matter so cannot recall whether they were still clashes or whether the problem was solved.

Hope the above helps
    Thanks. I don't think I've tried using presets after the initial deployment and the first movement order (which is where it goes wonky). It seems like once they stop and start again it 'forgets' that aspect of group movement. I'll test that out next time, but at any point you'd really want it working with your own already arranged formation. I did notice the necessity to ungroup and regroup though, as you mention, so as to lock in the width. Gah, frustrating

agranel's Avatar Civis

Hi there,

Many thanks for your effort, your mod is fantastic but I'd like to know wich tool did you used to change the pack file. I've been trying with the last version of PFM, but no success. Could you help me. please?

Many thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by agranel View Post
    Hi there,

Many thanks for your effort, your mod is fantastic but I'd like to know wich tool did you used to change the pack file. I've been trying with the last version of PFM, but no success. Could you help me. please?

Many thanks in advance!
    Taw's file converter from the tools section.

agranel's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    Taw's file converter from the tools section.

Thanks a lot!

heys does this go to multiplayer

GasMask's Avatar Praeses

Excellent mod.

sounds good, havent installed yet...

can anyone tell me from experience which one should i use?

thx

gunny

St. Cyr's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyfreak View Post
    sounds good, havent installed yet...

can anyone tell me from experience which one should i use?

thx

gunny
    It's all your preference, there's no right answer. I personally prefer 30% reduced infantry, 10% reduced cavalry speed. When I see the other soldiers marching or running across the battlefield with that version, it looks correct to me.

This is great. Battles will be a lot more enjoyable with this mod. Thanks!

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

This looks good, will try.

Suggestion:

You should put in a simple readme with the install instructions (like your release post) in the pack. Helps when not directly on the net or don`t want to faff about. Everything in one place and all that!

this mod is a must, without it I had the impression i ordered armies of budgies in battle.
    +rep
    Me is Caesar
    Me no care
    Me go recruit
    a legionnaire
    If he die
    Me no cry
    Me go recruit
    another guy!

After playing for a bit, I reckon the best balance would be achieved by Infantry -20% speed and Cavalry -15% speed. Cavalry still looks somewhat 'sped up' when galloping quickly.
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast