Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Movement Speed Reduction - NEW v2.0

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Movement Speed Reduction - NEW v2.0

Hurray!!! V2

Shabby_Ronin's Avatar Primicerius

Thanks you for the update Yarkis, you're the man.
    "...I'll look for something else. We're surrounded by water. Why are we eating knob?"

now all I need is to find a mod that reduces the killing rate of archers, or just adds a little more armour value to infantry units and something that will slow killing in melee just a small bit and I'll be set til the bigger mods come.

what with the slower speed, morale mod and slightly weaker archers/slow melee kills.

you do good work yarkis.. you do good work.

Default Re: Movement Speed Reduction

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis View Post
    It will work with any savegame and you can swap the versions (20% or 30%) reduction. In the next version I will introduce a minimum speed for difficult terrains, so units moving through rivers should not slow down too much.

I don't think cavalry is at a disadvantage because of the mod. The relative speed advantage over infantry is the same as in vanilla SH2.

Archers are a more powerfull since they get more volleys of before an enemy can reach them. The best solution is to probably to give all units more armor and (1-2 points; this will also lengthen melee combat a bit) and increase the reload time of the projectiles by about 10 percent. However, the tables for both changes are not yet accessible. Also not yet modable are the movement speeds of ships.
    I could do this for you if you're interested let me know.
    Don't smoke the seed

All this is estimation but:

Archers range is 150 (im assuming metres here),

average-ish speed for an average bloke wearing shorts and shoes on flat ground running 100 metres is about 20 odd seconds, lets cut off 4 seconds because these are soldiers so should be fit but add 2 because they are running in formation/as a unit and in armor so 18 seconds. Times 1.5 to get time for 150 metres = 27 seconds

Having done archery (and being reasonably good, not amazing but above average) myself it took me about 7-8 seconds per aimed shot at 75m, target the size of 3 people standing abreast id hit it 60% of the time. Not such an issue with the accuracy as we are talking about volley fire at other units.

So on average samurai at least should be getting 3 volleys off by this calculation, although i cant really see ashugaru being much further behind just less accurate.

Movement Speed Reduction Mod v2.0

A mod for people that like a slower battle gameplay (like me ). It's the first step toward a more comprehensive battle gameplay mod in the tradition of TROM2 which I plan to do after somebody succeeds in making proper mod tools. I personally prefer the 30% speed reduction version, but I added several additional variants.

CONTENT

- This mod reduces the movement speed for all units by the indicated amount on the files:

mod_movement_reduction_all20.pack....................20% movement speed reduction for all units
    mod_movement_reduction_all30.pack....................30% movement speed reduction for all units
    mod_movement_reduction_inf20_cav10.pack.........infantry 20% and cavalry 10% speed reduction
    mod_movement_reduction_inf30_cav15.pack.........infantry 30% and cavalry 15% speed reduction

- All units have a minimum speed for very difficult terrain to avoid excessive slowdowns (especially for the 30% reduction mod).
    - Made Naginata units slightly quicker (there are still the slowest infantry unit)

NOTE: This mod makes ranged weapon units more effective since melee units need a longer time to get into contact.

INSTALLATION

Just drop ONE of the attached packs into your ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\total war shogun 2 demo\data directory. The packs are movie files and don't need to be enabled. To deinstall just delete the pack file.

Many thanks to Taw for releasing his file converter for Shogun!
    Perfect!
    OPEN BATTLEFIELD CAPTURE POINTS AND IMPACT PUFFS HAVE GOT TO GO!
    REVERT INFANTRY THROWING PILAE TO ROME TW'S SYSTEM AS IT WAS PERFECT!

Mobo: GA-P35-S3, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66Ghz, GPU: AMD HD 6850 1GB, RAM: 4.Gb Corsair DDR2, Sound: Audigy 4, O/S: Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

Quote Originally Posted by rob-a-dogg View Post
    All this is estimation but:

Archers range is 150 (im assuming metres here),

average-ish speed for an average bloke wearing shorts and shoes on flat ground running 100 metres is about 20 odd seconds, lets cut off 4 seconds because these are soldiers so should be fit but add 2 because they are running in formation/as a unit and in armor so 18 seconds. Times 1.5 to get time for 150 metres = 27 seconds

Having done archery (and being reasonably good, not amazing but above average) myself it took me about 7-8 seconds per aimed shot at 75m, target the size of 3 people standing abreast id hit it 60% of the time. Not such an issue with the accuracy as we are talking about volley fire at other units.

So on average samurai at least should be getting 3 volleys off by this calculation, although i cant really see ashugaru being much further behind just less accurate.
    The problem is that reality rarely ever transfers well to gameplay. and considering how much the AI likes to spam archer units, slowing things down can literally turn them into killing machines, making balanced armeis a waste of time. I think adding a couple points of base armor may fix the issue though, it will allow archers to still be effective but help to negate the effect that the 1 extra volley they'll get in this mod.

Icon14 Re: Movement Speed Reduction - NEW v2.0

Thank you! It makes the game much more enjoyable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinos View Post
    I could do this for you if you're interested let me know.
    Thanks for the offer! I am still trying to work out what is the best approach to slow down battles in general (kill speed in rangend and melee combat) and haven't found definity solution yet. I want to preserve the current unit balance. If I get a solution worth to implement and there is still no working editor to do it without hex editing, I will let you know.

Thank you, this is excellent. I'm using the 20/10 version and it really feels different and realistic now.

Thanks, im using 20/10% reduction speed and it feels fine, much better then vanilla tbh

awesome mod thank u so much. not to be a pain but could u post one for 15% and 8% speed decrease pretty plz.

Thanks for the offer! I am still trying to work out what is the best approach to slow down battles in general (kill speed in rangend and melee combat) and haven't found definity solution yet. I want to preserve the current unit balance. If I get a solution worth to implement and there is still no working editor to do it without hex editing, I will let you know.
    raising armor values by a set value would help. this, along with the 50% morale increase mod should get battles to a good pace...

zowrath juts put up a 20% reload penalty for archers. so all I need is for melee battles ot last a little longer and I'm good!

Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    zowrath juts put up a 20% reload penalty for archers. so all I need is for melee battles ot last a little longer and I'm good!
    Hehe, it's not just archers it's all projectile firing land units. Archers, matchlock, ninjas, mangonels, rockets and so on. All of them.
    Maratha Light Infantry - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ibfygu

Col. Michael Kováts Hussars
    - United States - http://www.sendspace.com/file/j272k5

Norske Geworbne & Trondhjemske Regiment - Norway -
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/tmvpk6

Links updated 06.05.13

Nuxes's Avatar Civis

This might be more plausible with better modding tools, but is there any way to change the acceleration and turning speed of units? As it is, people and horses can turn on a dime while running at full speed, and entire units can wheel around and take position in a few seconds. This kind of negates the usefulness of any flanking maneuvers, since they can reposition so quickly. It seems like in previous TW games the units were much more cumbersome, and could get caught facing the wrong way if you weren't careful.

System: i5 2500k, 8GB DDR3, 5870, Win7 Pro 64, 60GB SSD + 1TB SATA, X-Fi Pro Elite

Quote Originally Posted by zowrath View Post
    Hehe, it's not just archers it's all projectile firing land units. Archers, matchlock, ninjas, mangonels, rockets and so on. All of them.
    thats fine. the truth is that archers are far and away the most widely used. little extra reload on mangonels is ace, and ninja's.. I don't use ninja's on the battle field for the most part.

pfft only pansies use rockets... real men use sharpened sticks

Dynamo11's Avatar Domesticus

Great stuff, loving the 20% and 10% reductions

ElementUK's Avatar Miles

Does this mod work on the full version of the game?
    "Nuke the Site from orbit - Only way to be sure"!

^without a hitch

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast