Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast

Thread: Nec Pluribus Impar : SYW French Mod - EDIT 2015-12-31 NPIv0.4.0beta released

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: SYW FRENCH MOD : Nec pluribus impar

I agree with you, Grassins' arquebusier had an awesome uniform, but, they are out of SYW time line.
    Maybe in an other mod...

I've planed to add 3 or 4 light troops units to represent their highly diversity in French Armies :
    • Volontaires Royaux ;
    • Chasseurs de Fisher ;
    • Volontaires de Clermont Prince ;
      and, if it's not too much :
    • Fusiliers de Montagne ;

But, this mod should have approximatively 50 units, it's many units...

I've update first post of this thread :
    • adding light troops pictures ;
    • adding hussars and dragoons pictures ;

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

madrush's Avatar Senator

see see see, jacobites in french and indian war under brit command

Patrician Artifex

Nice picture, but they are English troops, not French

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

madrush's Avatar Senator

.......good point......make em blue ten lol

Kaunitz's Avatar Centenarius

Great work! Do you already offer a download or do you wait until everything is ready? I really can't wait!

Moreover, I was wondering if there's a way to have battle-flags in the correct, quadratic shape. The vanilla flags seem very strange as they're rather rectangular/oblong and not broad enough - or maybe the flagpole is also too long? I really don't have a clue whether it's technically possible though.

All the best!
    KAUNITZ PROJECT
    - a modding project for a better representation of XVIIIth century warfare -

Patrician Artifex

I have to finish to fix some minor modifications on models first.
    A unit need 3 models : private, musician and officer and all those models need to be ready before it will be possible to release the unit.
    A unit need stats and AOR too.
    I've worked on stats for some units, but not all and AOR is a work in progress.

I hope to release units as "packs"
    I suppose we will release Gardes Françaises and Gardes Suisses first.
    Then, we could release elite infantry, then line infantry, etc.

But I'm busy with "real life" at the moment, so, it could take some time.

I suppose we will have to add flags ans some others things too and it's very easy to have quadratic shape flag.
    I really like 162eRI's work on flags

I was thinking about adding one ancillary :
    Order of Saint Louis (medals for officers)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And maybe adding some prestige buildings, but it's not a top priority...
    Priorities are :
    • fix 3D models first ;
    • fix stats ;
    • fix AOR ;
    • release infantry units ;
    • finish cavalry models (dragoons, colonial dragoons, line cavalry) ;
    • finish light troops models (volontaires royaux, volontaires de Clermont-Prince, chasseurs de Fisher) ;

Last edited by wangrin; April 16, 2011 at 08:24 AM.

Patrician Artifex

[DELETED] double post
    Last edited by wangrin; April 16, 2011 at 08:19 AM.

madrush's Avatar Senator

double post

Patrician Artifex

I was searching for some irregulars and/or auxiliaries troops in India and I've found a very ineresting blog about India : Golconda Rising

EDIT : Work In Progress

Chasseurs de Fisher

The lod1 isn't finished, it need work on some faces, adding belt, cartridge pouch and sword
    Last edited by wangrin; April 17, 2011 at 08:18 AM.

Hi, vieux routiers!

I have looked at some contemporary AWS and SYW artwork quite meticolously in the last time and I came up with a few suggestions to make this mod even better! Here are some suggestions for 7 years war models:

Tricorns

Generally speaking, this mods' tricorns look more like tricorns of the 1770s and 1780s, not like those worn during the AWS and SYW. Of course, you cannot draw a strict line and there was quite a lot of variation at any time, but still I think that tricorns could be improved.

The tricorns on Moriers paintings (War of Austrian Succession) have very "high" tips (so that you can't see the skull cap of the hat through the opening of the tip). Actually, these hats look a bit like paper ships. The brims of the hat are slightly bent inward above the skull cap and the tips themselves are u-shaped, which results in these high tips. Here are some examples plus a strange sketch of mine. In two pictures you get lower rear tips (left hand guy on the 1st picture, plus the right hand side picture below the 1st picture):

If you take a look at the hats on some Seven Years War paintings, you'll see that the hats seem to be only slightly different. The front tip is still very high, whereas the two back-tips are a bit lower and they wander further to the rear/backside of the hat. Consequently, hat is probably a bit longer/flatter than the Morier-ship-hat.

The hats of the hannoverian troops in the Gmundener Prachtwerk (1761) still look more like those of Moriers' paintings (and look at those gorgeous pommels! Don't you want to make some hats for german factions? Including some oak leaves on the Austrians' hats?):

Now let's compare that with the hats in ETW. These are the models of Joedrecks 7YW mods Austrians- I've been messing around with the textures a bit. I think that the hat might still be a vanilla hat? What you can clearly see (apart from the musket being too long and the bayonet too chubby) is that the hats' tips are too low, almost at the same height of the skull-cap's basis. And the flaps are not bend inwards/over the skull cap at all - they're perfectly flat.

The hat of the Guardes Suisses (which you seem to be using in this mod) looks best of all hats so far, but the rear tips are still too low.

So, to get a more authentic tricorn for the period, I'd bend the brims upward stronger and bend them inwards a bit which lets the tips get the u-formand makes the back tips wander upward. I tried to indicate this in this picture best as I could:

This uniform plate is very accurate if you compare the tricorn to contemporary depictions. The hat is assymetrical (the left rear tip seems to be high, the right one low; maybe the soldier is just waering it in a crooked manner), just as many of the hats on the pictures above.

Muscles and clothing
    Well, to give us an idea of their understanding of total war (waaagh!!) and total soldiers (waaagh! roar! Banzai!), CA provided us with tough looking, beardy body builder-soldiers. I don't even want to start that this definitely doesn't fit the epocs' over-sophisticated and dainty idea(l) of manliness. However it looks quite funny and ridicolous how these Arnold Schwarzeneggers have been equipped with powdered whigs and squeezed into Juste au Corps. Initially subject to Hogarths line of grace, these poor habiliments have been deformed to make them fit the anabolic butchers.

I guess that it is impossible to make models a bit less brawny as it would require changing bones and, thus, animations?

Last but not least, I noticed that the laps of ETWs Justes au Corps open up too low. As a consequence, the main function of the laps (namely to give more flexibility and allow easier movement) is ruined. I can still hear the tailors' laughing while the muscly penguins waddle into battle.

And here are two contemporary ealry 18th century paintings showing French soldiers, just in case you're going to extend the range of your mod one day

And Étienne Jeaurats "Conduite des filles de joie à la Salpêtrière" also gives a nice impression of military/police uniform around 1745
    Joseph Nickolls' St. James Park and the Mall (ca. 1745) shows two british grenadiers and a hatman if you look closely.

This blog has some nice contemporary 7YW art: http://flintlockandtomahawk.blogspot...ed-french.html (click on art Seven Years War tag). Amongst others:

Last edited by Kaunitz; April 19, 2011 at 06:29 AM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Patrician Artifex

Excellent and highly documented contribution Kaunitz

The tricorn I use for French model is a vanilla ona that I modified.
    I've rose front and left and right side, but probably not enough.

I will certainly work on tricorn to try to have a more historically model, but I must be carefull to not impact UVmap.

Excellent units mates, but I think that the "Chasseurs de Fisher" unit is yet made by Danova in his mod "Ornamentum french".

Patrician Artifex

Yes, but they wear the 1743 uniform, not the 1756 one

About tricorn, the picture below show how the actual hat look like and reworked tricorn :

Picture below show 1750 cavalry tricorn :

EDIT : Icons updated

• add "Legion Royale" icon (light infantry)
    • add "Volontaires de Clermont Prince" icon (foreign light infantry)
    • add "Chasseurs de Fisher" icon (light infantry)
    • add "Ardennes" regiment (German infantry)
    • add "Alsace" regiment" (German infantry)
    • add "Clare regiment" (Irish regiment)
    • add "Lally regiment" (Irish regiment in India)

Last edited by wangrin; April 20, 2011 at 03:00 PM.

Wangrin, I really appreciate what you're doing! It's definitively going in the right direction!

However, I'm a notorious nagger. Would it be possible bend the two front brims of the hat even more inwards? On the cavalry-equipment-picture you can see how much the brims are bent inwards towards the skull cap, so that the "form" of the skull cap becomes noticeable (broken red line on the 2nd picture). The brims definitively touch the skull cap - actually they'd be tied to it. This would also give us the characteristic u-shaped points and the folds that I've marked with blue colour.

And the back-brim seems too large in comparison of the other brims - but that might be an optical illusion? I guess it might look better if you shift the points further to the backside of the hat (or even "behind" the hat/skull cap!), so that the back-brim is almost 100% straight - in contrast to the front brims. (see picture 3&4; also on the cavalry-tricorn the back tip of the hat is almost in a line with the back-brim). Picture 4 also shows this difference - on the left picture, we get to look at the "outside" of the back-brim, whereas on the right picture we get to see the inside of the back-brim. Damn these tricorns are complicated!

Again, I don't mean to be a pain in your neck. It's just that I've found this very dedicated skinning/modeller-team that can make dreams become true and now I don't want to let it go so easily!

Last edited by Kaunitz; April 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
    KAUNITZ PROJECT

Patrician Artifex

OK Kaunitz, I will try some modifications this weekend or next week, depending how fast or not I will be able to :
    • reworking Danish cuirassier UVMap for Geronimo2006 (approximatively 1 to 2 hours if I have no problems) ;
    • working on early French infantry model from Flikitos (reworking the UVMap, approxymatively 1 hour) ;
    • reworking Danish early grenadier UVmap for Geronimo2006 (? hours)
    • working on Chasseur de Fisher lod1, lod3 and lod4 models (approximatively 15 hours at least, I've problems with some faces...).

Hopefully, the weather should be not particularly sunny this weekend

It's not very easy to determine model shape and your help is very efficient

EDIT : 2011-04-23 W.I.P

• Chasseurs de Fisher
      Basic texture :

• Légion Royale :
      Basic texture :
      [

Kronoskaf
    Last edited by wangrin; April 23, 2011 at 02:46 PM.

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Lookin good I like what you did to the tricorn.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Well done sir. Great work.
    I wish you a happy Easter too

Patrician Artifex

Thank you Sir.
    Happy Easter too

I love chocolate (only dark one and with 70% cocoa ), this is the reason why I particularly like Christmas and Easter

EDIT : WIP - French tricorn
    Last edited by wangrin; April 24, 2011 at 03:34 PM.

TiFlo's Avatar Semisalis

Wangrin, the awesomeness of your work seems to have no limits. Those tricorn modifications are fantastic. You -or somebody else- may eventually have to "retrofit" them to all of the other circa-SYW unit mods out here.

I'm telling you, I might even abandon my all time cherished redcoats for a French campaign when you guys are done.

♔Oggie♔'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by TiFlo View Post
    Wangrin, the awesomeness of your work seems to have no limits. Those tricorn modifications are fantastic. You -or somebody else- may eventually have to "retrofit" them to all of the other circa-SYW unit mods out here.

I'm telling you, I might even abandon my all time cherished redcoats for a French campaign when you guys are done.
    This