Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broken Sword for SS6.4 - Broken Crescent models and textures for SS6.4 Islamic units

Default Re: Broken Sword for SS6.4 - Broken Crescent models and textures for SS6.4 Islamic units

Hello, sorry for bothering again, I just wanted to say that I have, somewhat, implemented the bc units in my ss6.1, combining the default ss6.1 battle_models file with the broken sword 6.4 one, and it seems to work ok, (I only added the units, I'm not confident enough to mess with the officers).

I have made quite a number of test in campaign battles and custom battles and all seems ok. Just wanted to say thanks Phosphoricus for your inspiration and of course thanks to the Stainless Steel and Broken Crescent modding teams.

cheers

Default Re: Broken Sword for SS6.4 - Broken Crescent models and textures for SS6.4 Islamic units

This sub mods will compilation with Meneth's Sub mods ?

@Ulakanakulot
    It sounds like what you did worked. For the officers, you need take the final entries at the end of the Broken Sword battle_models.modeldb (starts with 16 muslim_general_3 ) and add them to your own battle_models.modeldb, update the entry count in the first line of the file accordingly, then compare the Broken Sword descr_character.txt with the SS6.1 descr_character.txt and copy over the changes where relevant.

For example, in SS6.4 the first line of battle_models.modeldb is:
    22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 1197 0 0
    After adding the generals/captains-related entries to the end of the battle_models.modeldb, I updated the total entry count by adding 13 such that the first line became:
    22 serialization::archive 3 0 0 0 0 1210 0 0

The difference appears to be 13 but I only count 12 additions at the end of the file. Perhaps I am bad at counting, or some change in middle of the file increased the count. In any case, I recommend running the modeldb syntax checker Python script to check your changes.

@Ruda_STR
    Nobody has posted the Meneth submod's battle_models.modeldb and descr_character.txt for me to look at, so I do not know whether or not Broken Sword is compatible with it.

Hello again Phosphoricus,

I'm trying to add some BC Turkish models in my SS6.1, but I'm getting ctd's because I'm not aknowledged on how to implement them correctly.

I would like to make the following changes:
    - give the janissary swordman model (the red coat swordsmen) to the dismounted hasham;
    - implement the BC janissary archer model in place of the vanilla one;
    - give the BC tirpan azap model to the turkish version of islamic halberdier.

Could you give me some hints on how to do it, please? I have tinkered with the modelDB file of SS6.1, trying to change the path of the graphic files so that the file should search for the BC ones, but it doesn't work (I don't even know what I'm doing, actually :-)

Hi, I'm trying to implement this. I don't understand how it can work, given that changes have been made to descr_character such as adding in 'muslim_general_1' etc, but muslim_general_1 does not have an entry in descr_model_strat?

karaislam's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank View Post
    Hi, I'm trying to implement this. I don't understand how it can work, given that changes have been made to descr_character such as adding in 'muslim_general_1' etc, but muslim_general_1 does not have an entry in descr_model_strat?
    it doesnt necessary.look at broken crescent general king models.they are not in modeldb file but if u adjust descr charecter text it ll work.these are working in my turkish project submod.

ok thanks

Got this working, really excellent work Phosphoricus + rep, makes a huge difference, can I use this in next RR/RC update?

@Point Blank:
    The changes I have made to descr_character.txt only affect the battle models for generals and captains; the strat map models are not changed. Given that the strat models in Broken Crescent are also awesome, I would have liked to change the strat models as well, but my amateur attempts failed utterly so I have left this as a 'battle models only' mod.

Of course you can use this in RRRC. The original purpose of creating this submod was to save you time on the RRRC update back when first talk of implementing BC units and Magyar mod units began. I tried to make something similar for Magyar Mod as well, but the bizarre structure and tendency to use Hungarian names of that mod led me to abandon the project.

There have been few complaints about the replacements made, so in that respect the mod is ready for inclusion. There are, however, some issues that I've mentioned previously that I will mention again here:

The main issue is that this mod requires Broken Crescent material to be taken from a Broken Crescent installation because I never uploaded the material myself. Presumably we'd want to include the textures with the update because some folks - sad to say - never bothered trying Broken Crescent. Bearing in mind a desire to limit file sizes, we'd need to decide whether or not all Broken Crescent textures should be included, or only those that are currently implemented. The latter choice would reduce size but also reduce flexibility.

Another issue relates to the Real Combat component of your work. My replacements often change the animation used for a given weapon combination, and in a few cases I have even changed the weapons used by a unit, but I've never changed any EDU values or textual material. Obviously, different weapons can be expected to require different values, but I also wonder to what extent the minor animation changes affect the Real Combat balance. More adjustments would need to be made if the minor animation changes create great differences in combat performance of units. I personally haven't noticed much of a difference, but I'm no Real Combat expert.

@Ulakanakulot: Extensive rewriting of the locations shouldn't be necessary if you copy the Broken Crescent textures into the appropriate Stainless Steel folder as detailed in the instructions. I remember it being simple copy-paste from Broken Crescent modeldb to the Stainless Steel modeldb because the position of the copied Broken Crescent textures within the Stainless Steel unit_models\_units\ folder is the same relative to the position of these textures within their original Broken Crescent unit_models\_units\ folder.

I suspect that you are having problems with modeldb syntax. Refer to this page for information on how this file is structured and interpreted:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...syntax-checker
    Once you understand that, you should try using the modeldb syntax checker to identify the problems automatically:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1180
    Note that you may need to customize the script for SS6.1 factions according to the pattern detailed in the information page section 'Addendum for modders who've added a new faction'.

Your animation changes look good, I'm just working now on updating the EDU, its mostly a matter of some units that were using swords are now using maces and vice-versa, and a few shield changes.
    Last edited by Point Blank; April 06, 2011 at 03:40 AM.

I can't seem to find Broken Crescent mod. Can anyone give me a link?
    Roland searched the continent for the man who'd done him in
    He found him in Mombasa in a barroom drinking gin
    Roland aimed his Thompson gun. He didn't say a word
    But he blew Van Owen's body from there to Johannesburg
    - Warren Zevon - Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner - 1978

Quote Originally Posted by bigdogbluesky View Post
    I can't seem to find Broken Crescent mod. Can anyone give me a link?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=346

The appropriate stickied thread for download is 'BROKEN CRESCENT 2.02 Download & Installation instructions'.

Thanks for the link!

Hello Phosphoricus,

I have followed the copy-paste instructions in your last post, I have made some experiments and tests, it seems to work fine. Thanks again for your help!

Okay, so I got SS to work with these, my only question now is that which units
    secondary weapons were changed by this as a result of the new models/textures?
    I know the appropriate animations are matched to the changed units to a point by Phosphoricus,
    but I also know that a lot of BC units use maces instead of swords, so I'd like to adjust their
    stats accordingly in my copy of SS.

Phosphoricus

This is absolutely fantastic! This is the first time in months that I have run entire battles on super slow - .1 speed - just to enjoy the look of the units!

And very simple to install, as well. Even I could do it on the first try!

I really think there is an empty slot here, if you will, for someone who can insert the latest unit models into a submod that can be easily applied to 6.4, mid campaign, as you have done.

I know that the CHIP team, and Rolling Wave, and the artist previously known as BG, are all working on new mods with many new unit models and other great ambitions. And that PB will also in time come out with a new RR/RC that will be amazing.

But in the meantime, Frenchy has some great new unit models, and I believe that there may be new unit models from other mods as well, which it would be such a great pleasure to simply incorporate into a game - mid-campaign, no less, as you have made possible here!

I think that I am getting better at this all of the time. I am currently running several other submods with my current campaign - including Carl the Taxman by Putz and Huge Units by Ignasigh. But I really don't think I am capable of creating such a submod myself at this point. Can implement one apparently though!

Would really love to see someone do exactly what you have done with the Broken Crescent unit models, but also including as many other new unit models as are preferable as such an easy to apply submod to 6.4!

Just an idea, or hopefully inspiration, if not for you, then perhaps for someone else. Just seems like a submod that everyone could easily and would readily appreciate!

Thanks again for the look and the feel of this really major improvement (I was playing as the Crusader States, so it was simply wonderful)!
    Last edited by Kilgore Trout; April 07, 2011 at 06:02 PM.

Pope Gregorius I's Avatar Ducenarius

intrigued but it would be nice if it was not necesarry to download BC first. a stand alone download would be nice.

and before/after screenies would help sell for those of us who have not played Broken Crescent
    "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Thy great compassion. Your delight is not in horses, nor Your pleasure in warriors strength..."

I have not tried this yet but if it does work this is fantastic. Couple of questions though, since I have BC 2.3, do I need BC 2.02 or is it the same?

And... can you do the same for some of the byzantine units? Particularly the cataphracts, varangians, scoutatoi, spathatoi and emperor's guards look incredible in BC and I wanted to swap them myself but I don't know how to ): I would gladly do it myself if you could point me out to what things need to be done.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

You ask, you shall receive

A guide on Export_Descr_Unit
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221093

How to add a unit into game.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=281344

How to add an existing unit to another faction
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74945

How to create new units
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=221097

Have a good fun, future modder

I cant get this to work ?

Step 1. extract battle models file let it overite in 6.4 battle models file.

Step 2. extract descer_ chraratcer file let it overwrite file in 6.4

Lastly copy all the files from the BC unit models folder into the 6.4 unit models folder, do not overwrite anything. I am confused about this last step. I have done what it says ( I think ) the game loads fine but no BC textures or models show up, just SS?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast