Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Viking Normandy

Default Re: Viking Normandy

I think your confusion comes from not having a clue what I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    Wait, so you're suggesting the Normans, those VIKINGS, would not have come from North Germanic language speakers?
    Because some semi-literate half learned ignorant monk said it many centuries ago.

micheljq's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Getwulf View Post
    I think your main confusion comes from the fact that you're not familiar with Dudo's text. I've been studying it for some time.

You're also not too familiar with 8-9th C. AD Romania... then again who is...? Pointing out that from about the 1st C AD onwards Romania was a Gothic country and in that sense it was also "North German" might mean a lot to this argument. But that would mean that I would have to accept that the Goths came from "North Germany" in the 1st C. AD. A fact that is blatantly false!

Dudo's text quite clearly tells us that they were "Goths" or Getae from Dacia!!!...

So the Normands may very well have been early "East Germanic"/Gothic speakers... but they were definetely not "Norse" speakers...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    FACTS

Rollo invaded France with 12 boats of Anglo-Saxons given to him by king Alstem of East Anglia... and 6 boats of his own Dacians. He invaded from East Anglia...!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So... What Vikings...?

To make matters worse there was a "Viking" presence in Normandy but it didn't have anything to do with Rollo.

The supporters of the Viking argument use "confusion" to obscure the facts and curve fitting to fit their own version of events. Events that just aren't supported by Dudo's text!
    According to all I read on Rollo or Rolf, it is commonly believed Rolf was a dane or norwegian viking. The fact he invaded from England is well known, the angle-saxon king gave him boats. Rolf was an exile from his country and took refuge at the angle-saxon court.

Can you point us to some sources about your claim that Rolf is a dacian? Or something on Dudo? Or about Romania region in IXth century, was it still called Dacia at that time? even after the many barbarian invasions that occurred there? Dacia was abandoned by the roman legions in the 3rd century. ???
    Last edited by micheljq; March 01, 2011 at 12:22 PM.

Getwulf's Avatar Senator

I think your confusion comes from not having a clue what I'm saying.
    No that is not it. I'm much smarter than you and I understand exactly what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
    Can you point us to some sources about your claim that Rolf is a dacian? Or something on Dudo? Or about Romania region in IXth century, was it still called Dacia at that time? even after the many barbarian invasions that occurred there? Dacia was abandoned by the roman legions in the 3rd century. ???
    But that's really the point of it...

Proving a Dacian presence in Romania...! I actually don't even care that much about the North or Normandy. Sorry... But I just don't...

I believe that this text adds to the growing evidence that the Dacians did in fact continue to flourish in Romania. Not only that but it changes our perception of what the Dacians really were... and we can debate that in detail later or somewhere else.

As for providing a source I have many times... I'm not going to do it again because I'm tired of it. You can look back in the threads etc...
    Last edited by Getwulf; March 01, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

micheljq's Avatar Tiro

I just found this :

http://www.the-orb.net/orb_done/dudo/dudindex.html

and then this phrase, I am shocked :

[5] Rollo is expelled from his native Dacia by an evil king [Folios 14v - 17r = File(s) 5(L)-Dacia]

In the high medieval age, dacia was used in texts as a nomer for denmark.
    You can try to take all those texts and try to fit to romanian geography, and you will get a headache.
    But let Gewulf have his dream, he can dream for all he wants.
    Neutral to the teeth.
    “'My country, right or wrong' is a thing no patriot would ever think of saying except in a desperate case. It is like saying 'My mother, drunk or sober.'”
    G.K. Chesterton

Ah is Getwulf pushing the Romanian nationalism version too?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    In the high medieval age, dacia was used in texts as a nomer for denmark.
    Yes, i know, just wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    You can try to take all those texts and try to fit to romanian geography, and you will get a headache.
    But let Gewulf have his dream, he can dream for all he wants.
    Well, if you dont know geography you might have a headache, but the text and description is quite clear, its romanian geography, or ancient Dacia who is depicted in Dudo text, has nothing to do with Denmark or Norway or whatever

mircea's Avatar Biarchus

WRONG!!! In fact, Romanian posters were among the most significant and harshest critics to this fable about Dacians = Vikings or Martians or whatever.

Getwulf is not even Romanian, and in fact I'm pretty sure he not from this planet, probably he's a Jupiterian

I'm just curious, that's all. He didn't make much sense with his reply to me.

Not sure if your level of knowledge on the subject allows you to make such statements

Quote Originally Posted by mircea View Post
    WRONG!!! In fact, Romanian posters were among the most significant and harshest critics to this fable about Dacians = Vikings or Martians or whatever.

Getwulf is not even Romanian, and in fact I'm pretty sure he not from this planet, probably he's a Jupiterian
    I dont think it was somebody saying that Dacians=Vikings. Just that a group of Dacians warriors who was forced to leave Dacia migrated north west and become the elite or founders of the Normans (not that they made the entire group).

And this is actualy what Dudo said.

Quote Originally Posted by diegis View Post
    Not sure if your level of knowledge on the subject allows you to make such statements
    Did you just say that claiming the Vikings were Dacians was "knowledge".

Quote Originally Posted by diegis View Post
    I dont think it was somebody saying that Dacians=Vikings. Just that a group of Dacians warriors who was forced to leave Dacia migrated north west and become the elite or founders of the Normans (not that they made the entire group).

And this is actualy what Dudo said.
    How is this still allowed on these forums?

Just... just look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by CiviC View Post
    Because some semi-literate half learned ignorant monk said it many centuries ago.
    Civic personally I am siding with you concerning this thread as I find Getwulf's stuff pretty far fetched, but you guys are doing a really bad job at disproving him even I have to admit. Simply calling monks wrong and illiterate doesn't change anything. We have a primary source speaking specifically of Dacia, close to a black sea with mountains. I don't see how that can be confused with the Danes. Why would it be so crazy that people migrated from there to Normandy? Vandals after all migrated much further.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge

Wait didnt this come up in several threads before and it is basically proven to be fanatasy (who supporters happen to be from the region in question)? I mean from my understanding dacia isnt just refered to the area of ancient but also the kingdom of Denmark?

Tiberios's Avatar Le Paysan Soleil
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

As far as I know Dacia is also the name for the Vatican church province consisting of the Scandinavian countries.
    Last edited by Tiberios; March 01, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    Wait didnt this come up in several threads before and it is basically proven to be fanatasy (who supporters happen to be from the region in question)? I mean from my understanding dacia isnt just refered to the area of ancient but also the kingdom of Denmark?
    Go figure, Dudo write a chronicle in which a group of warriors from Dacia (the real Dacia, as it was known from ancient times) are forced to leave the country and migrate to northwest. Sometime after this, Denmark (the supposed place or one of the places where those Dacian warriors arrived at some point) start to be called as well Dacia. I think this is the most obvious conection, but if someone have another reason, i am glad to see it

Quote Originally Posted by Kralle18 View Post
    As far as I know Dacia is also the name for the Vatican church province consisting of the Scandinavian countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by charles the hammer View Post
    But again the chronicles speak of a Dacia with a black sea and a "crown of mountains" like the Carpathians. That is what I am pointing out.
    "Mors Certa, Hora Incerta."

"We are a brave people of a warrior race, descendants of the illustrious Romans, who made the world tremor. And in this way we will make it known to the whole world that we are true Romans and their descendants, and our name will never die and we will make proud the memories of our parents." ~ Despot Voda 1561

"The emperor Trajan, after conquering this country, divided it among his soldiers and made it into a Roman colony, so that these Romanians are descendants, as it is said, of these ancient colonists, and they preserve the name of the Romans." ~ 1532, Francesco della Valle Secretary of Aloisio Gritti, a natural son to Doge