Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: anti-Americanism on the rise in TWC

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Default anti-Americanism on the rise in TWC

k, before anyone says something, I already know that there is a thread similar to this, but I had to make this clear. Please dont close this unless deemed absolutly necessary.

I am sick and tired on the rise of anti-Americanism on this site. Anything any American says, certain people will try and disprove it. No matter what subject, it doesn't matter to these people. Im not against the fact that these people hold this opinion, that is their choice, though I obviously disagree with it. But the fact that they continually antagonize the Americans of this site just for the hell of it. Something has to be done about this.

ps, I didnt know if this should go into the mudpit. Sorry if it is
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

I'm an American and I havent really noticed this, most people are kind when you tell them youre from the U.S. There are Canadians here, there are Brits...there are muslims here from god knows where...and none of them have a baseless, unjustified hatred for the U.S.

Civitate

You can't do anything about it. There is something called freedom of speech which I believe is also allowed on this forum. If you bring along some good arguments I believe you can call anybody an idiot or something like that. If you don't attack someone personally I believe it is allowed. I do not aprove of this but you can't do anything about it. And btw this anti-Americanism is not only growing on TWC but in the entire world...
    In patronicvm svb Jesus The Inane

Wait, there is a distinct difference between people hating the U.S. for little or no reason and people hating the actions of our government for decent reasons. Plenty of people hate bush, plenty of people look at U.S. actions in southern America amongst other places and gasp in horror...many of these people are LIVING IN THE U.S.

but that's the thing, most associate Americans with the government and then take it out on American members here. And I dont intend for peoples freedom of speech to be taken away, but I am sick and tired of this mindless anti-Americanism
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    -Mark Twain

Of course you can't hate americans because of what their government do. I think the reason many people dislike america is because many americans (I'm not saying everyone) know very little of other countries and thus have very warped views on what's going on in the world. Some non-americans are offended by this, and I can see why. But then again, it's really the medias fault for being such a propaganda machine, so you can't really blame the people for this either when it comes down to it.

PyrrhusIV's Avatar Primicerius

Then there are just some americans, who want to get out ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyston
    Of course you can't hate americans because of what their government do. I think the reason many people dislike america is because many americans (I'm not saying everyone) know very little of other countries and thus have very warped views on what's going on in the world. Some non-americans are offended by this, and I can see why. But then again, it's really the medias fault for being such a propaganda machine, so you can't really blame the people for this either when it comes down to it.
    Sorry that is a cop out, there are many Europeans and others (just by reading posters here) who know zip about the US so can we justify dislike of Europe based on that? Its a double standard sorry and sorry but obviously freedom of speech doesnt exist on these forums (of course nor does it have to since a forum can impose any restrictions it wants), the whole nonsense with my sig is a clear indication of that and Im still waiting on a response from mods on why its ok to use a demonized picture of George Bush as an avatar but not a known terrorist riding a pig bike or a Saudi flag. If you dislike an entire country or its people based on the media then sorry it isnt the media's fault its your fault for buying into the nonsense and accepting media as the only source of information. Look at the "only in america" thread for basically pointless crap.

maybe it would help if some americans didn't go round saying

"we're the best at everything" "we can do whatever we like" "our country is the best in the world" "we can take over everywhere if we wanted to, but we're just too nice to"

and words to that effect...
    if the rest of us didn't have to put up with the constant stream of america is the best we wouldn't be so quick to bring you back to earth all the time...

Well on that note I agree with TBP, I also hate it when people say "America is the best country in the world, I know this for a fact, I've lived here all my life"... W-what? Then how do you know its the best in the world? Maybe elsewhere in the world theyre just giving away candy and sex like all the time and you'd never even know about it....

But people also have to realize that whoever says stuff like that, its opinion and not fact...even if the stupid people say "FACT: America is the best country in the world"...that doesnt mean its a fact, its still an opinion...and quite a stupid one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince
    maybe it would help if some americans didn't go round saying

"we're the best at everything" "we can do whatever we like" "our country is the best in the world" "we can take over everywhere if we wanted to, but we're just too nice to"

if the rest of us didn't have to put up with the constant stream of america is the best we wouldn't be so quick to bring you back to earth all the time...
    See there it goes, lets go and talk about wimpy French who will surrender to anything or Brits with bad teeth then and just make stupid generalizations about everyone. SOME americans do what you say most dont so that instills in you the need to bring us all back to earth because of some morons? How many posts by Americans here other then Evan and Tigercat revolve around the US being the 'best in the world'? Now compare that to number of posters who like just ranting against America.

Quote Originally Posted by the Black Prince
    maybe it would help if some americans didn't go round saying "we're the best".
    I agree, but the majority here dont

I guess I should have named the thread "the rise of extremist nationalism in TWC"
    -Mark Twain

Primicerius
    Invercargill, te grymm und frostbittern zouth.

most Americans on TWC are beyond that silly "we are the best" stuff that 10 year old hillbillies who could not state the capital of Italy (you know, like on gamefaqs) stuff. hey that was a long sentence..

I must say that i haven't found any anti-americanism on this site, but if it has been happening then please post links so i can see what you mean. Most of the time i don't know where people are from when i post or reply and i never seek out their nationality. As far as i'm concerned we are all here for the same reason and so long as people can speak english on this site i will talk to them as i talk to everybody.

Regarding this in a more general sense i feel that not many countries like america because of the world events of the past few years and this opinion is reinforced by national media around the world who each report the interests of their own countries. Though i doubt that many people hold that against the average american. Despite this in my experience very few nationalities if given the choice would care much about America, but they are forced to think about it because it is the world's strongest power at the moment and affects all of our lives throughout the world.

I also must agree that people can not be stopped from voicing opinion about america as a nation, though if people make harmful personal insults against any americans based on their nationality or any other reason they should be warned. Of course, this should go for all nationalities.

Basically if stupid comments are made then i doubt they will be taken seriously. If false or personal comments are made based on a nationaistic pretext then that should be considered as spam and worthy of punishment. If justified comments are made about any nation then they will have to be accepted by people who are nationalists or not. We all have to take a degree of responcibility for our own nations actions if we want to or not. Still, i don't really see this being an issue on a TW site

Denny Crane!'s Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

Quote Originally Posted by Last Roman
    I agree, but the majority here dont

I guess I should have named the thread "the rise of extremist nationalism in TWC"

Its fanatical belief, wether it be in a country or a religion. When someone fanatically believes in something you will find a dozen people on a forum like this waiting to argue with him, or provoke an arguement.

Christianity, Islam, God, America. If you want to lay the blame for the recent string of american threads look to the people who started those threads directly involving the subject. Personally I believe it started with Evan Kikkla, I am not trying to pick an arguement with him I just found his posts on this particular subject particularly provokative and the issue has not dropped since. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41363

So the initial "war of words" was really started by an american although I am sure he may have been provoked in turn by a european I did not search any further back. There is a certain amount of dislike and generalisation about the USA but an equal amount of fanatical patriotism to counter it so I don't think anyone is to blame here.

We are in the main responsible adults and I am sure no one has taken offence so if we all give those threads a wide berth from now on the issue will drop.

Peter

DrakKassleron's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

That's the problem, both sides(Anti-American and Pro-American)argue vehemently with one another, and for some reason, less Pro-American Americans start believing that the Anti-American posters hate America. But that isn't true. Nor is there any "Anti-Americanism" on the rise in TWC, in any major way or form, anymore now than there ever was before, at least not in any important way, as far as I'm concerned. And if there is, then it is, as TBP said, caused by the arrogance of Some, not all, American posters. Only Some.

I can't stand it when Europe is flamed by Anti-Europeans, but the most I'll do is argue in a civilised manner about it. I would Not go insane and start saying things like: "We Own America" "America Sucks" or anything like that, at all. I'm not that kind of person. I'm not weak or pacifist, nor do I bow down to anyone. However, in the modern world, we Brits and Europeans need to at least try to respect our comrades in the far west.

That is, of course, because the real enemy is in the middle east. We just haven't conquered them yet.

What did I just say?

I'm turning into a conservative........ Not really. I get fed up with America bashing too, though, even though some things that the U.S. government does really anger me. I'm not going to blame all Americans for that, ever.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

So what? We all have the right to an opinion here, I don't complain if someone is anti-Australian. Why should you get special treatment?

Well, because as far as I know, ON isnt located in Australia its centered in the U.S. isnt it? And most of the people here live in the U.S., no?

caused by the arrogance of Some, not all, American posters. Only Some.
    I've heard more snide remarks from europeans that are covered in sopping wet arrogance from Europeans.

"Oh Americans, they have no culture, it's all stolen from us!"
    "All you have is McDonalds......"

Then there are just some americans, who want to get out ASAP.
    You made a statement in which you used a plural for the word American.....in this case it should be singular.

Sorry that is a cop out, there are many Europeans and others (just by reading posters here) who know zip about the US so can we justify dislike of Europe based on that? Its a double standard sorry and sorry but obviously freedom of speech doesnt exist on these forums (of course nor does it have to since a forum can impose any restrictions it wants), the whole nonsense with my sig is a clear indication of that and Im still waiting on a response from mods on why its ok to use a demonized picture of George Bush as an avatar but not a known terrorist riding a pig bike or a Saudi flag. If you dislike an entire country or its people based on the media then sorry it isnt the media's fault its your fault for buying into the nonsense and accepting media as the only source of information. Look at the "only in america" thread for basically pointless crap.
    Well said, but fear now,

When I pull a Sulla, everything will change.

Of course you can't hate americans because of what their government do.
    tell that to the rest of this site.

Well, maybe if you weren't so angry with the fact that God allmighty....oh wait, you guys call it the British Empire...isn't in total control anymore.
    It's sad that you feel the need to get pissy whenever someone isn't praising your country.

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by D-503
    So what? We all have the right to an opinion here, I don't complain if someone is anti-Australian. Why should you get special treatment?
    How many Australian bashing threads have you seen here?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast